Moving to Orlando...

JCtheparrothead

Original Poster
I am getting transferred to our Lake Mary office and was wondering if any other members live in Oviedo or Hunters Creek. I am very interested in HC but would like to know how the neighborhood is for kids. Also for those that live in Orlando, how often do you find yourself going to the parks or Disney Springs (we go 2-3 weeks a year at our Bonnett Creek condo). I am wondering what the best APs to buy would be.

TTA Blue Line

Hunter's Creek is very far away from Lake Mary, and with I-4 under construction for the next 5 years, that would be a miserable daily commute.

Oviedo is closer, I would recommend looking around Seminole County. What about Sanford? How far is your office from the Lake Mary SunRail station?

Last edited:

Sonconato

@TTA Blue Line is correct in that Hunter's Creek is very far away. I would consider Oviedo, Maitland, parts of Longwood, parts of Winter Park or Lake Mary itself. I would strongly consider not buying until you are more familiar with the area. We live in Winter Park and it's about a 35 minute drive to WDW. Oviedo is another 15 to 30 minutes further away depending on traffic. Close to SunRail could be a plus for you as well.

As for how frequent we go to WDW. That will be entirely up to how often you want to go and if you choose to get passes to Sea World or Universal. We only have passes to WDW so we go all year long and we go every weekend. It really is something you need to decide.

disney4life2008

Orlando is very spread out and what we call Disney is not even in Orlando. I just moved here i stay on the east side close to oveido. I can't really answer your questions but i purchased the resident pass and i have ended up at Disney at least 2 times each month. Everywhere in orlando takes about 45 minutes to get anywhere. Traffic is horrible, and i dont mean the tourist areas. The city, people can't drive and its always a long commute. Orlando and the state of Florida is a toll place, unless you want to take the side streets, you will pay about $10 or more a day (especially on the lake mary/hc side). On the flip side, it is Orlando and Disney is only a short drive away. I am here now and knowing that i can go back to my apartment when I please is comforting.

TTA Blue Line

Winter Park is great, but keep in mind that I-4 is under major construction starting at Altamonte Springs and continuing all the way west to the Turnpike. Look up the "I-4 Ultimate Project" and see how that would affect your commute to Lake Mary. Forget Hunter's Creek, I would definitely recommend choosing a neighborhood closer to your work instead of closer to Disney. Anywhere in central Florida is going to be close enough for an impromptu day trip to WDW. When I first moved to the area, I would go to the parks several times a week as I took full advantage of the novelty of living so close. However, now I find that I only go maybe once every month or two, only when wait times are low, and usually only for a couple of hours instead of all day. As for Disney Springs, I tend to avoid the area. For shopping and dining, there are much better (and much more affordable) local places. If I want to go to a tourist area like that, I actually prefer to go to Universal CityWalk! Basically, you just need to get out here (for research, not vacation) and explore the area yourself!

Last edited:

JCtheparrothead

Original Poster
Hunter's Creek is very far away from Lake Mary, and with I-4 under construction for the next 5 years, that would be a miserable daily commute.

Oviedo is closer, I would recommend looking around Seminole County. What about Sanford? How far is your office from the Lake Mary SunRail station?
Thanks for the heads up. I work from my house most of the time and commute in once or twice a month so the I-4 thing won't be too bad. Oviedo looks great though. I will have to check with the office manager about the rail station but our office is right off I-4.

TTA Blue Line

Thanks for the heads up. I work from my house most of the time and commute in once or twice a month so the I-4 thing won't be too bad. Oviedo looks great though. I will have to check with the office manager about the rail station but our office is right off I-4.

If you can work from home, I would look at Winter Park, Dr Phillips, and Windermere before Hunter's Creek. Those three towns are my personal favorite suburbs of Orlando. But of course it's up to you, your budget, and your needs.

JCtheparrothead

Original Poster
If you can work from home, I would look at Winter Park, Dr Phillips, and Windermere before Hunter's Creek. Those three towns are my personal favorite suburbs of Orlando. But of course it's up to you, your budget, and your needs.
Awesome. I will be down there in 2 weeks for a commando style assault on the area. Hopefully we can figure out the area we want to be in then centralize our search.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I am getting transferred to our Lake Mary office and was wondering if any other members live in Oviedo or Hunters Creek. I am very interested in HC but would like to know how the neighborhood is for kids. Also for those that live in Orlando, how often do you find yourself going to the parks or Disney Springs (we go 2-3 weeks a year at our Bonnett Creek condo). I am wondering what the best APs to buy would be.

I've actually lived in Hunters Creek for the last 12 years and while I don't have kids I can likely answer many/most questions you might have about the area.

The number of times a month you have to get to Lake Mary should indeed be a determining factor in choosing the location you move to. I used to work up in Maitland and made the commute up and down I4 every day for 5 years. From south to north you're going a little against the grain so it wasn't normally horrible. However, as others have noted I4 is entering a long cycle of very extensive construction for a complete redesign and history has taught us that will cause major league headaches for a long time to come, especially in rush hour right after the afternoon rain has hit.

Many people don't have a good solid picture of the Orlando area and where everything is relative to something else. It's much more spread out than most people realize if their only perspective is the tourist areas. Spend some time taking a look at a good map of the region to give yourself a chance to understand where things are, how far apart they are, etc.. as you're making your selection.

As for Hunters Creek; it's not for everyone but I really like it. It's a master planned community of over 4,000 single family homes and countless multi-family properties built over the course of about 25 years. There is a really aggressive and active HOA that can feel extremely confining if you're not used to that sort of thing. For example, I just did a landscaping project that included removing an overgrown tree and new beds and sod. I had to submit the entire project for approval by the Architectural Review Committee before I could even start the work. Want to paint the house, you need to choose from their approved colors and get advance approval for the painting, same with putting on a new roof. It runs like a small town with lots and lots of rules.

The flip side of all of those rules and the enforcement of them results in a really fantastic community where even all of the public streets are fully manicured and maintained. There are countless parks and other outdoor recreation facilities from tennis courts, to soccer fields, baseball diamonds, lighted basketball courts and much much more.

Having said all that I could not think of living anywhere else in central Florida. I'm 20 minutes from most all of the theme parks; I can be on MSUSA in less than 30 minutes from pressing the button to close my garage. But in my day-to-day life of going to grocery store, putting gas in the car or any other sort of normal life activity the tourist economy is completely invisible (except when you hear the fireworks in the distance at night). I also travel a lot for work so the easy access to the airport is a big plus for me.

Hope that helps but if you've got more specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

JCtheparrothead

Original Poster
I've actually lived in Hunters Creek for the last 12 years and while I don't have kids I can likely answer many/most questions you might have about the area.

The number of times a month you have to get to Lake Mary should indeed be a determining factor in choosing the location you move to. I used to work up in Maitland and made the commute up and down I4 every day for 5 years. From south to north you're going a little against the grain so it wasn't normally horrible. However, as others have noted I4 is entering a long cycle of very extensive construction for a complete redesign and history has taught us that will cause major league headaches for a long time to come, especially in rush hour right after the afternoon rain has hit.

Many people don't have a good solid picture of the Orlando area and where everything is relative to something else. It's much more spread out than most people realize if their only perspective is the tourist areas. Spend some time taking a look at a good map of the region to give yourself a chance to understand where things are, how far apart they are, etc.. as you're making your selection.

As for Hunters Creek; it's not for everyone but I really like it. It's a master planned community of over 4,000 single family homes and countless multi-family properties built over the course of about 25 years. There is a really aggressive and active HOA that can feel extremely confining if you're not used to that sort of thing. For example, I just did a landscaping project that included removing an overgrown tree and new beds and sod. I had to submit the entire project for approval by the Architectural Review Committee before I could even start the work. Want to paint the house, you need to choose from their approved colors and get advance approval for the painting, same with putting on a new roof. It runs like a small town with lots and lots of rules.

The flip side of all of those rules and the enforcement of them results in a really fantastic community where even all of the public streets are fully manicured and maintained. There are countless parks and other outdoor recreation facilities from tennis courts, to soccer fields, baseball diamonds, lighted basketball courts and much much more.

Having said all that I could not think of living anywhere else in central Florida. I'm 20 minutes from most all of the theme parks; I can be on MSUSA in less than 30 minutes from pressing the button to close my garage. But in my day-to-day life of going to grocery store, putting gas in the car or any other sort of normal life activity the tourist economy is completely invisible (except when you hear the fireworks in the distance at night). I also travel a lot for work so the easy access to the airport is a big plus for me.

Hope that helps but if you've got more specific questions don't hesitate to ask.
Wow. Thanks a lot for this write up. My schedule is pretty hectic and I do travel quite a bit so my time at the office might range from 8 times a month to 1 time per month. It's good to know that the airport is just a quick ride away. I have lived in a Association run neighborhood before but it wasn't as business like as the one you are describing but that doesn't bug me. My wife and I are mostly concerned with Schools first, community second, and me driving to work 3rd (I live in Detroit 50 minute drive to work now).

disney4life2008

Winter Park is great, but keep in mind that I-4 is under major construction starting at Altamonte Springs and continuing all the way west to the Turnpike. Look up the "I-4 Ultimate Project" and see how that would aour commute to Lake Mary. Forget Hunter's Creek, I would definitely recommend choosing a neighborhood closer to your work instead of closer to Disney. Anywhere in central Florida is going to be close enough for an impromptu day trip to WDW. When I first moved to the area, I would go to the parks several times a week as I took full advantage of the novelty of living so close. However, now I find that I only go maybe once every month or two, only when wait times are low, and usually only for a couple of hours instead of all day. As for Disney Springs, I tend to avoid the area. For shopping and dining, there are much better (and much more affordable) local places. If I want to go to a tourist area like that, I actually prefer to go to Universal CityWalk! Basically, you just need to get out here (for research, not vacation) and explore the area yourself!

Wow i agree. I avoid disney springs and i pass it every week for work. I have also ended up straying away from disney shopping and enjoy orlando simplicity. I love the florida mall area. I4 is a mess, and given that an accident occurs every hour, it adds another 10 minutes.

disney4life2008

This sounds horrible lol. Nice, but im not one for observant living. Im fine in east orlando on colonial drive lol

mj2v

Thanks everyone for your input.
I live in Celebration and actually go up to Lake Mary 2-3 times a month. The ride from Celebration/Hunter's Creek/Dr Phillips is not bad UNLESS you have to travel at peak times and/or have to take I4. I am a big vpbeliever in utilizing the toll roads if it keeps me out of traffic. I typically plan meetings up that way between 10 and 230. If it can't happen then, I either don't go in person, or find a way to kill time up there so that I can travel at a less busy time.

Remember also, that traffic is driven by tourists as well as normal rush hours.

Schools are critical in Florida, and living in the right place can be a huge savings vs having to send kids to a private school. Some schools even contain a "school within a school"... My daughter is in the IB program at Celebration HS, which is better than most of the private schools for her. We always had a plan B, just in case that did not pan out, but she is doing great. I would not send her or my other daughter to "regular" classes there or any Florida public High School. Sorry, but this state does not place a priority on education.

Driving is just.... different. I drove in NYC for 10 years without a scratch, moved to Orlando and was in a three car wreck less than a month after moving. Like most of the other accidents I have had here (6 in 5 years, 5 I was at a dead stop and hit), the driver had no insurance and no license. I have learned how to master deep breathing while driving. Turn signals don't exist, Yield signs mean floor it, and the fact that a person does not know where they are going is NOT in direct correlation to how fast they are attempting to get there.

PhotoDave219

Spot on.

JCtheparrothead

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I am heading down on May 6th to hopefully find a house. We are going to check out Windermere, Lake Nona and Oviedo areas. Should be a whirlwind tour. Of course i need a fix so i will be staying at the swan for a couple days. :)

KikoKea

Interesting. We plan to move to the area in Feb, but will rent for a year or so until we decide where (central Fla or elsewhere) we want to buy. We do not want to live in the city or in the middle of horrible traffic- had enough of that over the years and it's time for a quieter lifestyle.

JCtheparrothead

Original Poster
Interesting. We plan to move to the area in Feb, but will rent for a year or so until we decide where (central Fla or elsewhere) we want to buy. We do not want to live in the city or in the middle of horrible traffic- had enough of that over the years and it's time for a quieter lifestyle.
That is a good plan. We have been thinking about doing the same as well but the thought of moving twice haunts my dreams at night.

disneypearl

I have heard a few positives about Clermont and Winter Garden. I am not a local so have no idea, but have been thinking of a future move myself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom