Moving to Orlando.

PattyBell

Original Poster
I am thinking about getting a master degree and wanted to go someplace near WDW, but I am worried about the research I did.

Is Orlando really violent?

And Gainesville?

I have kids, so must think well.

iKat

It really depends where you are in Orlando.

Winter Park (it's near UCF) is a nice area.
Just steer clear of Metrowest - not a great area with high crime rates.
If you don't mind living a couple of hours away, USF is a good school, and Tampa's a great area.

I've lived in FL most of my life, but only really know Tampa and Orlando.

Duckberg

U of FLORIDA

I am thinking about getting a master degree and wanted to go someplace near WDW, but I am worried about the research I did.

And Gainesville?

If your going for a Masters would recommend GAINESVILLE :sohappy: over Orlando. Small university town, they have an airport & hospital. You can visit WDW when you want to! Duckberg :cool:

Hi

Hi, have you visited Orlando recently? What part are you thinking of moving to? If it's Kissimmee, I would rethink that choice unless you want to retire right now. I have family that live in the Kissimmee area and they tell me it is getting worse and worse crime wise, pety crimes everyday due to the economy it will not get better. There was a time were no one had bars on their windows down there now it seems its a norm to have bars on your windows which tells me that crime must be high. Break In's and what not. I would truly rethink your choice. Gainesville should be better since most there go to the University.
Just my opinion, hope it helps some.
You can also try the Town Hall in Kissimmee and ask them about the crime in the area you choose to live.
Take care and I wish you and your family well.
Tinkerchelli

Jaytrod

I lived in Orlando for 4 years when I went to UCF. I was mostly by the college, but worked over by the theme parks at times. I wouldn't say that it's overly violent. It has its good areas and its bad ones just like anywhere else.. Its pretty nice by the college but you will always have the crazy college antics going on. But I know there were places not far from the school that were very nice. One place that sticks out in my head was a town called Avalon.. It's kinda like a celebrations type thing. But now that I think of it, why not try celebrations? Its very nice there and u are really close to the parks.

chels26

the champions gate/ davenport area is very nice. there are lot's of residential areas off of rt 27, which is very close to 192 and i-4.

stay clear of the OBT area, though.

SeaBreeze

Well, I guess this depends on where you want to go to school but I live in Gainesville and can offer some advice here. There are a few parts of town that are "shady" but they're on the opposite end of town as the university. The west part of Gville is quite nice, especially past 1-75 and that's where most families live. The closer you are to the Uni, the more dense the student population is so that will be a personal preference on your part.

However, I don't think our crime in Gainesville is anything near what the cities (Orlando, Jax, Miami) see. We're a rather peaceful little town...except on Saturdays in the fall :lol:

Edit: I did a PI at WDW and rented a place in Celebration for 8 months. LOVED it; super cute and safe community, close to WDW but it's not to universities. If you want to live in Orlando and can afford Celebration, I recommend it!

TTATraveler

And Gainesville?

You'll want to avoid Pine Hills (aka Crime Hills), Paramore, and parts of MetroWest. There are lots of nice areas like Windermere, Winter Park, Dr. Phillips, parts of Winter Garden, etc. I would make sure your finances are in order before moving here, as the job market isn't great and is mostly geared towards lower paying jobs.

sillyspook13

the champions gate/ davenport area is very nice. there are lot's of residential areas off of rt 27, which is very close to 192 and i-4.

stay clear of the OBT area, though.

I currently live in Davenport and I refuse to go outside the house by myself at night, especially since our house was broken into. That's pretty common around here. Public schools around here aren't very good, and you can expect long commutes and a lot of traffic between here and the closest universities (which aren't that close).

Thankfully I'm moving to Windermere soon.:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom