Moving to Florida??

DisJosh

Original Poster
My girlfriend and I are planning to make some changes in the coming years. We're looking to make a big move. Florida is one of our options...

I know a lot of members here are transplants. I'd love to hear the pro's and con's of your big move and living in Florida.

We live in Rhode Island and I work in Mass. The cost of living here is pretty high so that's partly the reason for a move...well that and Disney World. Though I've heard Florida is getting to be more costly than ever. I know, I know that's the case everywhere!! lol

So please tell us about your experiences. We'd love to hear them! :)

SpongeScott

Pros:
  • decent weather year round
  • close to WDW
  • close to lots of other amenities
Cons:
  • overpriced housing market
  • depressed housing market
  • high property taxes (though not as high as you have in the northeast)
  • high homeowner's insurance
  • higher cost of living overall
  • congested and dense
  • hurricanes, when we have them

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Pros:
  • decent weather year round
  • close to WDW
  • close to lots of other amenities
Cons:
  • overpriced housing market
  • depressed housing market
  • high property taxes (though not as high as you have in the northeast)
  • high homeowner's insurance
  • higher cost of living overall
  • congested and dense
  • hurricanes, when we have them
One pro you forgot to add is no State Tax.

Property taxes and homeowners insurance will vary greatly depending on where you live. If you live in what is termed as the wind born debris zone, in an area prone to flooding, etc you rates are going to be higher. If my house was built about 1 mile more to the east my insurance would be more than double what I am paying now. Property taxes follow a similar pattern. A 1000 square foot house on the beach will pay considerably more in property taxes than a 3000 square foot house in the middle of nowhere.

I personally love living in Florida and it would take quite a bit to get me to leave. The one piece of advice I would give you is to rent for a little while before you buy. Sometimes living just a few blocks in one way or another can make a huge difference.

palmage

Live on the coast, and drive to Disney.
Tampa Bay, Jax, Daytona, Melbourne are all nice places.
It's cooler, the beaches are great.
In the center of the state all you get is heat and bugs.

The Mom

Premium Member
Live on the coast, and drive to Disney.
Tampa Bay, Jax, Daytona, Melbourne are all nice places.
It's cooler, the beaches are great.
In the center of the state all you get is heat and bugs.

I would have to agree. :lol:

I'm a transplanted Rhode Islander (as DisJosh knows...we go way back) so have a better idea of where he's coming from...literally. He actually went to the same High School I attended; small world.

I agree with master Yoda's advice that you should rent for a while. That's what we did, so were able to find an area that felt "right" for us. Not New England, but closer to our old neighborhood in RI than most Florida areas. Lots of older houses, big hard woods, parks, etc.

Your job opportunities will make the final determination for you, but sometimes looking at places that aren't "touristy" will give you more opportunities.

figment3258

Good luck with whatever you choose. We want to move to florida too. We live in ma and the winter is our biggest drive. There is always going to be pros and cons you have to make the decision that is right for you and your family. Good luck!

Iknewagirlnamed

Your job opportunities will make the final determination for you, but sometimes looking at places that aren't "touristy" will give you more opportunities.
What areas in the central Florida area would you deem non-tourist? I'm curious because I would like to live in a lesser-tourist populated area when I move there :)

Tigggrl

Hey Josh!
I lived all over central florida, and I have to say I LOVED Winter Haven, Auburndale and Lakeland best. Not crowded or really busy, lots of water around and central to most anything Orlando or Tampa may offer!

kc1296426

Hey Josh!
I lived all over central florida, and I have to say I LOVED Winter Haven, Auburndale and Lakeland best. Not crowded or really busy, lots of water around and central to most anything Orlando or Tampa may offer!
Totally agree. Winter Haven, Winter Garden, Lakeland, all great towns that are lesser known to tourists and whatnot but they are still in 'proximity' to WDW and Orlando and Tampa. I live in Brandon, and it's perfect! The town is great, we are close to the beach, we are close to WDW, we are close to Busch Gardens, and we are close to anything Tampa and Orlando. Such a good decision to pick a town that we mentioned that's in the middle of Tampa and Orlando.

DisJosh

Original Poster
Hi Mom! Hey Carla! :)

Thanks for your replies everyone!!

Can anyone tell me anything about Carrollwood??

I'll probably be going where ever a job opportunity presents itself. We would definitely rent there's no question about that.

MasterYoda, your cons list looks a lot like my RI/MA cons list. After investigating real estate/rental prices in Florida I can safely say Florida would be MUCH easier on my wallet!!! :ROFLOL:

Boston, MA is listed as the second most expensive city to live in. We feel those costs all through out New England especially with Real Estate. Minimum wage in MA where I work was actually just raised to $8.00!! Unfortunately I don't benefit at all from that.

Tigggrl

It's ok....It just seems out of the way when it comes to being closer to Disney for me...I dont remember much about it tho.....I like the prettier areas....LOL!

The Mom

Premium Member
What areas in the central Florida area would you deem non-tourist? I'm curious because I would like to live in a lesser-tourist populated area when I move there :)

I wasn't really thinking about central FL, but others have listed some less touristy areas there.

I was just trying to remind people that FL is a HUGE state that existed before WDW, and even Miami Beach, so there are many areas that are not as full of tourists. My city, aside from the beaches, doesn't have that many tourists. There are some major investment companies (Fidelity) located here, along with insurance companies, etc. We have a large "artsy" population (the film festival is currently going on) along with many blue collar workers; a real cross-section of society.

SpongeScott

From what I saw on the map it's very close to Tampa.
It's in a good, growing section of Tampa. We looked very briefly at moving there before we settled on Pinellas County. We were told that some people who worked in C-wood lived in Pasco County because the housing was a little cheaper. However, I can't speak to that now nor do I know how long the commute would be.

As for WDW, you should be around an hour or way, give or take a few minutes.

Nemo14

Scott - I'm a fellow Rhode Islander, and I can't blame you for wanting to leave. We hope to be in FL in a few years too.
I agree with Lakeland being a great place to live, and you might want to check out the Cleremont area too - it's growing fast, but it still has more of a rural atmosphere.
If you're thinking of places near Tampa, I know my sister is very happy living in Bradenton.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and save us a place! :D

Rabflmom

I wasn't really thinking about central FL, but others have listed some less touristy areas there.

I was just trying to remind people that FL is a HUGE state that existed before WDW, and even Miami Beach, so there are many areas that are not as full of tourists. My city, aside from the beaches, doesn't have that many tourists. There are some major investment companies (Fidelity) located here, along with insurance companies, etc. We have a large "artsy" population (the film festival is currently going on) along with many blue collar workers; a real cross-section of society.

Same with the Space Coast. Lots of high tech companies. Beaches are really pretty natural and rarely are they crowded. We are often the only people on the beach. We would never consider living anywhere inland or that you have to drive I-4 to get to. LOL That said Orlando here we come today because you can day trip to all the parks whenever you have a day off.

TiffanyRashone

moving

Hello, my name is Dhana and I live in Las Vegas. I would like to move to florida in August and would like to know if I can get some good suggestions on what neighborhoods in the Tampa/Miami/or close to WDW to move. I have two teenage daughters (13&16). I work in the medical field so would like to be somewhat close to the medical areas...no more than an hours distance. And also can I get some pros and cons of living there. I'm originally from Chicago so the humidity would not be a factor and the bugs I'm sure are no bigger than Las Vegas bugs. I miss the rain and thunderstorms, something rarely seen in Vegas. So if I can get some help outs that would be greatly appreciated.

TiffanyRashone

moving

Hello, my name is Dhana. I currently live in Las Vegas but want to move to Florida in August. I was wondering if I can get some leads as to what neighborhoods are nice to move into preferably in the Tampa/Miami/WDW area. I have 2 teenage daughters(13&16) and would like to find good schools for them. I work in the medical field and would like to be somewhat close around the medical areas, no more than an 1hrs drive. I am a single mom so affordable areas is a must...affordable but descent. Also some pros and cons of florida would be helpful as well. I'm originally from Chicago so humidity is not a factor. And I'm sure the bugs are no bigger in Florida than they are here in Vegas. Thanks in advance

miles1

Hello Dhana-

I'm not from Florida so I may be of limited help, but I've spent considerable time there over the years.

First, the three areas you're talking about, Miami, Tampa, and Orlando/WDW are hundreds of miles away from each other and each is distinctly different from the other. You may want to do some further research and try to lower it down to one of these areas, then research further into neighborhoods.

The median age of Floridians is approximately rigor mortis, so just about any area is near medical facilities. The job market is still tight in Florida, so unless you have specialized skills, such as an RN, you will be competing against a lot of folks for employment.

Being from Chicago does not prepare you for the humidity in Florida. Standing in a pot of boiling water in a thunderstorm does not prepare you for the humidity in Florida during July, August, and part of September.

The same goes for bugs. What people call "bug" in Florida is what you would call "rodent" in Vegas.

I hope this is some help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom