Moving to Disney World?

Lord Pheonix

i wouldnt want to live there at all. i LOVE wdw, and hate to have to leave, but a BIG part of the magic is the anticapation. if ur flying down, the magic starts at the airport, intensifies when u land, and solidified when u pass under the main arch. driving, magic starts when u pass familiar landmarks, like south of the boeder. the trip there is all part of the magic of disney, symbolizing you leaveing the real world of taxes, bills, terrorism, war, etc, and entering another world, where your 10 years old again and everything is new. even the simple temp change for those of us here in the north is part of it. when i get on the plane, its usually in the 30's or less, your all bundled up, when u get off the plane, its warm, breeze is blowing, and the scents of cedar mulch and flowers in december all serve in the magic of the disney experiance.

joanna71985

4 minutes? Hmmmm....thinking....Is it the townhouses to the east? Is it the apartment complex right across the street.

And as for the original quesiton...:wave:...When I lived in S.Florida, I would come up 4-6 times a year. Eventually I decided it would be more profitable if I made Disney pay me. So I moved up here a little over a year ago. I love it.

Now there are some trade offs. While you can fulfill your need for the magic whenever you want, you actually do get sick of things. Before moving up here, I used to listen every day to Live365 radio and look for the stations that were playing the Main Street USA soundtrack. It was my favorite park music. Now, to be honest, I don't want to hear it again for a really long time. And if I NEVER hear the sound track to the Three Little Pigs again, it will be too soon.

I love Wishes and Illuminations and don't get sick of them, but I can also walk past them without looking up all the time. By the same token, many of us cast members will gather backstage, especially at Toon Town and just enjoy the fireworks while waiting for X:15 to roll around when we can clock out. We always say the same thing: "I can't believe they pay us to watch fireworks."

Never get sick of Dream Along With Mickey or Disney Dreams Come True Parade, on the other hand, the only reason I check out Spectro is to see who the friends of the face characters are that day. I never need to see Spectro again.

And don't forget that even in this magical land, groceries have to be bought, cars need oil changes, laundry has to be done, so the time you have to visit the parks is actually quite limited.

But it is a great place to work and play.

"who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf...Tra La La La La"

:lookaroun

You gotta love that song.

Gorjus

"who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf...Tra La La La La"

:lookaroun

You gotta love that song.

***running away fast...blocking ears.....and saying loudly......AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGLALALALALALALALALA*****

:brick::hammer::brick::hammer:
grumble....listen to a bloody soundtrack to a cartoon reel where all you can here is noise, noise, noise....and make you do it in a little room that feels like a rubber room.....add to the mix a bunch of tourists who don't speak English and scream loudly all at once and ignore you.....put in a character attendant who doesn't do their job.....and I grumble again:

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Have a magical day.

joanna71985

***running away fast...blocking ears.....and saying loudly......AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGLALALALALALALALALA*****

:brick::hammer::brick::hammer:
grumble....listen to a bloody soundtrack to a cartoon reel where all you can here is noise, noise, noise....and make you do it in a little room that feels like a rubber room.....add to the mix a bunch of tourists who don't speak English and scream loudly all at once and ignore you.....put in a character attendant who doesn't do their job.....and I grumble again:

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Have a magical day.

Oh believe me, I totally understand. I could probably sing any of the songs from the VIP or Princess rooms, I was in there so often. And I haven't worked there since 2006.

MattyFresh

I have been trying to talk my wife into this for 2 years with no luck she is soooooo stubborn! haha Oh Well maybe someday hopefully.

sounds like my situation....I want to work for Disney...or just live at there doorstep....but the fiance has no desire to live that far from her family. She is 2 hrs away now and thinks she is to far now. So I have kinda given up on my dream.

bgraham34

I was going to in 99. I was looking for a job and was offered one in Orlando area. I decided not to do it because I was not able to take the heat down there.

michelle_sydney

I am graduating in May 2009 with a degree in Early Childhood Education. If I get a teaching job in orlando or nearby then I am moving to Florida and working at Disney and Teaching. I need that salary job first because you can't really live off of minimum wage. I've always dreamed of working at
Disney and I really want to be a character attendant. That is the dream! I hope it happens!

DAKOTADISNEY

We just got back from WDW on Saturday and it got me thinking about spending the winters in FL after our kids are grown. That's at least 12 years off. We saw many older employees working at WDW. Does anyone know if they hire people just for the winter months? We would never move down there all year round but it would be great for 3 months to get out of this South Dakota cold. I haven't searched any threads on this so sorry if this has been discussed before.

cpeterstx

I'm just waiting to get a job with Walt Disney World at my level, in my discipline and I'm there.

And yes...I do check their job boards every day!!! :slurp:

frazierle

Original Poster
Fortunetly we can keep our current jobs if we decide to go, so finding employment is not an issue. We've even tossed around moving down for the summer months (when the kids are out of school) and just trying it out to see if this is something we would want to do permanently. Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming.

David

We have often thought about it, even after we reitre. I work in a credit union and have even thought about applying for a job with Vista, the Disney Credit Union. But our son is 15 and we would not want to move him now and leave the friends he has made.

But when he's in college???? Who knows?

wedway71

I'm just waiting to get a job with Walt Disney World at my level, in my discipline and I'm there.

And yes...I do check their job boards every day!!! :slurp:

Hey wait!!!

I just read your profile.. VP HR???

So you plan on taking my future job Hmmmm?????:eek:

Guardian

I am graduating in May 2009 with a degree in Early Childhood Education. If I get a teaching job in orlando or nearby then I am moving to Florida and working at Disney and Teaching. I need that salary job first because you can't really live off of minimum wage. I've always dreamed of working at
Disney and I really want to be a character attendant. That is the dream! I hope it happens!

This is my very post to this forum. I have basically got the same dream of wanting to be a character attendant, too. If I can get my credentials up to date, find a position related to my career and a place to stay in the Orlando area, then I am definitely going to move there. :)

fillerup

We saw many older employees working at WDW. Does anyone know if they hire people just for the winter months?

This trend of older CMs seems to be accelerating, and yes, WDW tries to be very flexible in their hiring.

This past fall, we met an older couple who have come from Minnesota
for six years just to work wine seminars duriing F&W.

Then they jump in their camper and travel, and return to work F&G.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom