Moving to Disney World?

frazierle

Original Poster
Has any one just loved being in Disney World so much, that you just packed up and headed to Florida? If you did, would you do it again? It is such a happy place to be, I guess I was just wondering how others felt.....:wave:

jessiepezz

Well sort of. I had lived in Orlando briefly when I was in high school many years ago. And when I finished my masters degree as a school counselor I asked my hubby if we could move to Florida. He said "make sure we are within a day trip drive from disney so we can get annual passes." So I did and we do. It's our second year as APs we live about 1.5 hours drive from the parks, and I am trying to get a job closer to WDW for the next school year. We love it here!

cococola44

we want to but i don't have any family members down there and i want my mom to go...

but she doesn't want to move. My dad tries...but no luck:cry:

maccad03

I'm originally from Northern Ohio and I moved down to Florida. I did the college program back in 2005, and I liked it so much that I didn't want to leave when my program ended. So I went back to Ohio when my program ended, and now 2 years later I moved back down to Florida. I'm a full time cast member at Cinderella's Royal Table, and I live 4 minutes from the Magic Kingdom cast member parking lot. I can hear and see wishes from my apartment and I love it. It was the best decision that I have ever made in my life. I can't get enough of Walt Disney World.

wedway71

All the time. We just moved from SW Florida 2 years ago up here to Indy. I transferred here with Target as a Manager. We got sick of the Hurricanes and the heat and came here.

I had a chance to work for Disney while back as a Retail Guest Services Manager-Salaried. My wife is a teacher.

She gets emails all the time asking if she ever thought about teaching in Florida.I think one more day of Artic weather up here we just might do it.

She can teach for Orange or Osceola Schools and maybe we can get our dream house in Celebration.

Last year I got my MBA and hit 18 years of Executive Management experience with Target and Coca Cola. Maybe that would get me a decent job at Disney.

Heres to dreamin....:hammer:

PigletIsMyCat

Yup. We had some extenuating circumstances though: my mother decided to sell her house in New York, and we were all living together (myself, DH, mom, bro). We would have had to move SOMEWHERE, so we picked Central Florida. We miss our family, but see them four or five times a year and find that that's enough - we don't miss them nearly as much as we were worried we might. We love it down here and have no plans to leave!!

Mom followed us (she now splits her time between Florida and Northern California) and bro might be down here soon too.

awalkinthepark

I wouldn't just pack up and move without a safety net...i.e. family to stay with, winning lottery ticket, or enough in the bank to cover at minimum 1 year of living expenses..if not 2-3. Having a job lined up prior to the move is probably a VERY GOOD idea...yes there are jobs that pay well....they may be hard to find though.

There is a forum for living near WDW here at WDWMAGIC..check it out.

Saintsfan75

It is something that my wife and I have dreamed about, knowing we would never leave our family. We also both have awesome jobs. If we did, I would have to come back to New Orleans for every Saints game, though. I can't miss those.

By the way, does anyone know what an average salary is per year when working for Disney (ie: ride operators, etc)?

I'm in sales here. What do salesman do/make in Disney?

kc1296426

I live on one of those "small" towns that you see on the signs on I-4. You know, the towns you only visit when you're on the interstate and you need gas ones? Only 45 minutes away or so from the magic. Crazy.

wedway71

It is something that my wife and I have dreamed about, knowing we would never leave our family. We also both have awesome jobs. If we did, I would have to come back to New Orleans for every Saints game, though. I can't miss those.

By the way, does anyone know what an average salary is per year when working for Disney (ie: ride operators, etc)?

I'm in sales here. What do salesman do/make in Disney?

In Sales???

Plenty of sales jobs....
Can sell hotdogs,popcorn,soda,t-shirts.... oh wait, not that kind of sales-:lol:

There are Convention Sales
Vacation Club Sales
WDW Travel Company sales-including off property offices in places like New York,Chicago,Dallas,etc.
Disney Segment Market Sales such as Youth Market,Hispanic etc.
Resort Sales
Wedding Planner and Sales
Some more too

maryszhi

what is the closest suburub to disney. I want to move there after college with my friends. i want to get a good job in special ed, which is what i want to major in...any help appreciated

Gorjus

I'm a full time cast member at Cinderella's Royal Table, and I live 4 minutes from the Magic Kingdom cast member parking lot. .

4 minutes? Hmmmm....thinking....Is it the townhouses to the east? Is it the apartment complex right across the street.

And as for the original quesiton...:wave:...When I lived in S.Florida, I would come up 4-6 times a year. Eventually I decided it would be more profitable if I made Disney pay me. So I moved up here a little over a year ago. I love it.

Now there are some trade offs. While you can fulfill your need for the magic whenever you want, you actually do get sick of things. Before moving up here, I used to listen every day to Live365 radio and look for the stations that were playing the Main Street USA soundtrack. It was my favorite park music. Now, to be honest, I don't want to hear it again for a really long time. And if I NEVER hear the sound track to the Three Little Pigs again, it will be too soon.

I love Wishes and Illuminations and don't get sick of them, but I can also walk past them without looking up all the time. By the same token, many of us cast members will gather backstage, especially at Toon Town and just enjoy the fireworks while waiting for X:15 to roll around when we can clock out. We always say the same thing: "I can't believe they pay us to watch fireworks."

Never get sick of Dream Along With Mickey or Disney Dreams Come True Parade, on the other hand, the only reason I check out Spectro is to see who the friends of the face characters are that day. I never need to see Spectro again.

And don't forget that even in this magical land, groceries have to be bought, cars need oil changes, laundry has to be done, so the time you have to visit the parks is actually quite limited.

But it is a great place to work and play.

PeoplemoverTTA

Having a job lined up prior to the move is probably a VERY GOOD idea...yes there are jobs that pay well....they may be hard to find though.

I completely agree. Two years ago I wanted to move without having a job first (had a BA and some grad school, with more than 2 years of experience in my field). I am very glad I didn't. If I had moved without a job back then, I would have definitely run out of money.

Later, once I was finished with most of my master's (I am finishing it now, and could have done it from anywhere) a friend of my brother's let me use her address on my resume (a very good idea....I found that there is such high competition in Central Florida for jobs, most companies won't deal with an out-of-towner unless the resume is top notch), and I still had a hard time getting interviews. Even still, jobs in Central Florida, due to the massive influx of qualified candidates who have relocated, tend to pay significantly less and offer less benefits (I did a lot of internet research when contemplating my move).

When I got a job offer with a company in Orlando back in August, I had to turn it down because I wouldn't be able to pay for cost of living here in Buffalo let alone Orlando (I would have been making at least $10-15k more per year here in Buffalo for the same job. I was working on my master's thesis, now had more than 3 years experience, and was offered $26k...I have nearly $100k in student loans alone, and rents in Orlando are double Buffalo...I wouldn't have been able to pay my bills at all on that salary). I was devastated, and sometimes wish I had taken it, but I do believe I made the right decision.

Another job opp. came and went in January due to health problems, so....what I'm saying is, definitely plan ahead (I planned for 2 years and there were still factors I didn't expect that made an impact, ultimately), and definitely have a job lined up (Currently, I am considering pursuing opportunities with two employers who have offices within 2-3 hours of WDW. That way, I will have job stability before leaving, and the opportunity will be there to move back if I choose so).

Good luck if you ever decide to move!

doop

I plan on attending a college in the area, and also plan on doing the college program and possibly working at Disney when I'm finished with college.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom