Moving from Maryland to Orlando

chevyboy2285

Original Poster
If there are any cast members or even just Orlando residents that would like to maybe hook up at some point that'd be great. Me and my wife don't know very many people down there so it's gonna be a little daunting at first.

yensid67

Hey Chevyboy,
I was in you back in 1998, I got a job with Disney and was scared, but excited at the same time. I 'thought' I would experience culture shock coming from a small town like Hagerstown, MD but it was enjoyable because I didn't venture too far from home or work. I enjoyed the time while working during the day, but instead of going home, I usually showered and dressed in street clothes and went back into the parks for the rest of the evening.
Where are you moving from and where will you be living? When I moved with my partner, we did almost everything over the phone and internet...apartment...we found a studio. Is it just you or are you moving with GF/wife? I would assume its a little tough to be on your own and trying to pay the bills...I also worked in 'maintenance' too at Epcot and felt as most would, that I was not there to do a job like that, but then I remembered that every role is a starring role no matter what capacity you are in! If it weren't for 'janitors' who would clean the bathrooms and empty the trash? The parks would be dirty and full of trash and in a bad state if it weren't for 3rd Shift Fairies spreading their pixie dust at night! Contact me privately if you have other questions...I would love to chat with you more!

-Will

chevyboy2285

Original Poster
Hi will. Wow you were close to me. I live right in Frederick. Me and my wife are moving down together. I would love to chat personally with you. Shoot me a text and just tell me who it is when you send it. I have only talked to one other cast member offline so it would be nice to have another. Talk soon!!

Last edited:

chevyboy2285

Original Poster
But to answer some of your questions on here we did everything over the phone. We got an apartment right near downtown Disney so we are close to everything. And we are both Disney nuts so I'm sure we will spend a lot of time in the Parks. She is a teacher so she should be able to find work I would think. She has her master's.

yensid67

But to answer some of your questions on here we did everything over the phone. We got an apartment right near downtown Disney so we are close to everything. And we are both Disney nuts so I'm sure we will spend a lot of time in the Parks. She is a teacher so she should be able to find work I would think. She has her master's.

Cool, seems like you have things in order pretty much. Talk to you soon!

Agent1964fem

Congrats on the new position. My husband just recently excepted a positions with Sanford Airport. He loves it and the people he works with.
There are some videos on you tube about Disney World custodial. Most of them are from the college program. I wish you the best of luck.

yensid67

Congrats on the new position. My husband just recently excepted a positions with Sanford Airport. He loves it and the people he works with.
There are some videos on you tube about Disney World custodial. Most of them are from the college program. I wish you the best of luck.

Always fly into Sanford Airport for Disney...maybe we'll cross paths! ;)

raven

Not sure. They said it's like pressure washing and repairing and stuff. Not normal custodial.

No repairing, mostly hosing and pressure washing walkways and walls of buildings.

You'll be working a position that gets no notice, until you don't do your job. 3rd shift works the real magic, IMO. They're the unseen pixies who sneak in after everyone's gone and reset the park for the next day.

The important thing is to take extreme pride in your job. You may reach a point where you think, "I'm just a janitor," but that's nonsense. If it weren't for the "janitors", the parks would be filthy and nobody would want to go.

And the only way to advance is to exceed your expectations, and those of your superiors. Hard work and over-achievement do not go unnoticed.

Sad to say that this is one of the most unappreciated roles at WDW. And it is difficult to get noticed on 3rd shift but if you don't long for that satisfaction you will be fine.

Main thing to remember is that you will find some managers, coworkers and even whole departments that are less than magical. Whatever happens, don't let them take your personal Magic away. If you wind up not liking what you're doing or who you're working with, stick it out. Start researching other positions and other locations.

3rd shift is were Disney keeps their grumpy managers hidden from guests so beware. You really have to use blinders to filter out everything. My advice would be to visit the parks often to try to hang on to the magic.

electric

My sister n laws best friend works at MK and loves it! Hope you enjoy it and don't let "work" ruin the magic of being there. Stop back on and fill us all in on how everything is going.

Last edited:

raven

If you take any advice from this board please take this one:

Do NOT join the union. Both union and non-union employees get the exact same pay and benifits. The only perk you will get by being in the union is a vote. But if you join, they will immediately start deducting from you check but they won't represent you for the first 90 days (by that time they've already taken $300 from you). Florida is an At Will Employment state and the union can't really do anything for you anyways and it's very difficult to get out of once you've signed up (which is the very first thing they jam into your face in the morning at Traditions). Take my advice. Skip it and save your money.

stillgoofy

Hey everyone I accepted a full time position at The World and I start on October 18th. I am moving from Maryland and I'm a little nervous about leaving everything behind. Has anyone else ever done this!!??
How did you do this out of state. I thought they only considered applicatons for those already living in Florida. I am also considering this kind of move in a couple years and would love to know how you did it.

chevyboy2285

Original Poster
It was a very hard mode to leave everything behind and just up go. I applied through their website got an interview and flew down a couple months ago. Got the offer a couple weeks ago. I start on the 18th. I am hoping it's a great decision. Everyone I've talked to says they loved working there but no one had ever stayed which is weird to me

Demeter Tess

Talk about coincidence... I am originally from Cumberland, MD (currently living in Fort Worth, TX) and my husband and I are planning to relocate to Orlando this summer. We would both love to work for Disney, but it seems difficult to "break into" the company without starting at minimum wage. I am a teacher and was planning on continuing to teach in Florida, but the pay cut is insulting - I'd be making almost $15K less! My husband is in insurance but would like to move into a different field.

It's encouraging to hear that you were hired from out-of-state. We joke that working the popcorn stand at MK will be our "last resort" when we start job hunting, but we weren't sure if even THAT would be possible. Good luck with the new job!

jmv5010

My wife and I talk about doing the same thing from time to time, and we are in the Frederick area, too. Best of luck!

Tom

Beta Return
It was a very hard mode to leave everything behind and just up go. I applied through their website got an interview and flew down a couple months ago. Got the offer a couple weeks ago. I start on the 18th. I am hoping it's a great decision. Everyone I've talked to says they loved working there but no one had ever stayed which is weird to me

I think the biggest reason people leave is because of the pay. Unless your significant other brings home a decent income, it's hard to support a family on a WDW wage. The ones who stay are usually those who end up climbing in the ranks and/or moving into a salaried position.

chevyboy2285

Original Poster
My wife is a teacher so hopefully she will get something. The starting wage is low at Disney but the benefits are great. I'm hoping it's worth it and I can move up or make something happen.

raven

I think the biggest reason people leave is because of the pay. Unless your significant other brings home a decent income, it's hard to support a family on a WDW wage. The ones who stay are usually those who end up climbing in the ranks and/or moving into a salaried position.

It's estimated that around 80% of WDW employees are only making just above minimum wage. :( I worked there for 5 years and my wage only went up $0.25 and also got a verbal warning when I tried to help a guest in a wheel chair ("Going Above and Beyond" and Disney puts it). My new non-Disney guest service job gave me a $2.00 raise, Employee of the Month and a Quarterly Award by my 4th month there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom