Movies that should be added to The Great Movie Ride

morningstar

These are the top 30 grossing films

It would be more relevant to look at top 30 inflation-adjusted. Your list has a strong bias towards recent movies. Iron Man 3 is high on the list, but would you really consider it one of the landmark films of cinema history?

LOTR might be too grand to shoehorn into the ride, but... imagine a scene with Sam, Frodo, and an amazing Gollum AA.

I agree. If Disney can get the rights to LOTR, it's deserving of an attraction of its own, not just one room of AAs.

Bond could probably be the most readily available. They'd have to decide which incarnation to use (though my bet would be on Connery, Craig, or whoever the new Bond will be in 4 years), but they don't have a spy category in the ride.

Using the current Bond would mean committing to updates, like they do at the Hall of Presidents. I think Connery would be the right choice, especially as it is a ride through the history of movies, and they'd want to relate the scene to the 1960s when Bond caught on.

Princess Leia

It would be more relevant to look at top 30 inflation-adjusted. Your list has a strong bias towards recent movies. Iron Man 3 is high on the list, but would you really consider it one of the landmark films of cinema history?

I mentioned the inflation adjusted films in this post: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-to-the-great-movie-ride.914697/#post-7285745

The MCU, Harry Potter, James Bond, and LOTR are the highest grossing film series ever. HP's out, and the MCU probably is as well, but a Bond or LOTR scene would really make sense if they wanted to bring something up to date (which is why I think Craig might be the better choice over Connery, even though Connery was the first).

By the way, for those wanting to see Marvel characters in the ride, that will never happen, unless they did Guardians of the Galaxy, which is one of the Marvel properties Universal does not have the rights to, or Big Hero 6...there were a few other properties Disney can use in Florida, but I forgot what they were. (Yes, I know Guardians of the Galaxy appears in the updated ending for this ride!)

Princess Leia

By the way, for those wanting to see Marvel characters in the ride, that will never happen, unless they did Guardians of the Galaxy, which is one of the Marvel properties Universal does not have the rights to, or Big Hero 6...there were a few other properties Disney can use in Florida, but I forgot what they were. (Yes, I know Guardians of the Galaxy appears in the updated ending for this ride!)

I don't think Guardians has the historical imprint to be included in the ride. While it made a ton of money, it's going to be awhile before we see if it's a major part of film history. Unfortunately, I think the Avengers fit the mold (adds the notable superhero genre to the ride), but with Universal's hold on the characters, there's not much they can do.

Slightly off topic, but I wish Universal would relinquish the rights to a few of the Avengers characters, like Iron Man, Cap, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Thor. They can keep the X-Men, Fantastic 4, and Spider-Man. They could even keep Hulk if they don't want to retheme its roller coaster. Since Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch are also X-men, they'd stay with Universal, but I'm sure there are others that Disney could take back.

Princess Leia

I also would put Star Wars but really I would just leave the ride like it is. It's really a classic at this point.
It's a classic, but it desperately needs new AAs. I know Gene Kelly personally approved his, but I think it could be greatly improved upon.
m_gmr2.jpg

This doesn't look like Gene Kelly.

raymusiccity

As great as the ride is it could use some updating, I would love to see Titantic be added...

The heck with Titanic. What could be any cooler than 20,000 Leagues! I'm sure Imagineering could resurrect the Nautilous and stage a convincing battle with the giant squid. I've read that there are currently three movies in development, including Disney's Captain Nemo prequel. I even found some artwork that looks pretty promising! What a shame that the Magic Kingdom lost a truly magical attraction, only to wind up with Ariels Undersea Adventure :-(

image.jpeg

216bruce

OK, once more....Chaplin (anything with his Tramp)- it isn't a 'Great' movie ride without Chaplin
Gone With The Wind (Scarlet O'Hara..."with God as my witness"), because having the Rhett carrying her up the stairs scene would look terrible.
It's a Wonderful Life (anything)
Upgrade a bunch of the current AA's
the "Fantasia" scene could be tremendous but is laughable.

It's a movie history ride, not just movies made in your lifetime that are cool.

morningstar

Slightly off topic, but I wish Universal would relinquish the rights to a few of the Avengers characters, like Iron Man, Cap, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Thor. They can keep the X-Men, Fantastic 4, and Spider-Man. They could even keep Hulk if they don't want to retheme its roller coaster. Since Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch are also X-men, they'd stay with Universal, but I'm sure there are others that Disney could take back.

I don't understand. I met Captain America and Spider-man at DCA. Does the restriction only apply to WDW? Even though there is a Universal in California too? Or does it apply only to rides and not M&Gs?

Princess Leia

OK, once more....Chaplin (anything with his Tramp)- it isn't a 'Great' movie ride without Chaplin
Gone With The Wind (Scarlet O'Hara..."with God as my witness"), because having the Rhett carrying her up the stairs scene would look terrible.
It's a Wonderful Life (anything)
Upgrade a bunch of the current AA's
the "Fantasia" scene could be tremendous but is laughable.

It's a movie history ride, not just movies made in your lifetime that are cool.

Chaplin or It's a Wonderful Life have a much better chance than Gone with the Wind. I know it's the highest grossing film when you factor in inflation, but there's no chance that it's going to be added in the 21st century.

The ride needs new life. Substitute the Fantasia scene for the Lion King (with AAs, not animation). LotR and Bond have cemented themselves into Film History. Bond is a long-running franchise (probably one of the longest), and I am sure that people will still be talking about Lord of the Rings in 30 years. Return of the King is one of only 3 movies to win 11 Oscars. The trilogy is critically acclaimed, and I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to turn Tarzan's jungle into a forest, and then add some hobbits and Gollum/a ringwraith. Or turn it into the founding of the Fellowship. Or add a stunning Treebeard AA.

I just thought of this: the ride is really white. Like. Super white.

Princess Leia

I don't understand. I met Captain America and Spider-man at DCA. Does the restriction only apply to WDW? Even though there is a Universal in California too? Or does it apply only to rides and not M&Gs?

It applies to Disney properties in Florida and Japan. So, Hong Kong can get an Iron Man ride, and DCA has opportunities to meet Thor, Cap, and Spidey.

Last edited:

216bruce

Chaplin or It's a Wonderful Life have a much better chance than Gone with the Wind. I know it's the highest grossing film when you factor in inflation, but there's no chance that it's going to be added in the 21st century.

The ride needs new life. Substitute the Fantasia scene for the Lion King (with AAs, not animation). LotR and Bond have cemented themselves into Film History. Bond is a long-running franchise (probably one of the longest), and I am sure that people will still be talking about Lord of the Rings in 30 years. Return of the King is one of only 3 movies to win 11 Oscars. The trilogy is critically acclaimed, and I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to turn Tarzan's jungle into a forest, and then add some hobbits and Gollum/a ringwraith. Or turn it into the founding of the Fellowship. Or add a stunning Treebeard AA.

I just thought of this: the ride is really white. Like. Super white.
I agree to some extent. I love the Bond movies and the LOTR trilogy, but the reality of IP rights would make adding anything apart from what Disney already owns (or can get cheap) unlikely. The original plan for the "Fantasia" scene was excellent but it got cut due to time and money (surprise).
Yeah, the ride is extremely white. Hollywood until the 60's was very white and still is (witness last years Academy Awards).

Princess Leia

I agree to some extent. I love the Bond movies and the LOTR trilogy, but the reality of IP rights would make adding anything apart from what Disney already owns (or can get cheap) unlikely. The original plan for the "Fantasia" scene was excellent but it got cut due to time and money (surprise).
Yeah, the ride is extremely white. Hollywood until the 60's was very white and still is (witness last years Academy Awards).

Disney has a better relationship with MGM now, right? Just thinking about how TCM has a larger role in the ride. If that's the case, I can see Bond coming to the ride.

If I'm remembering correctly, is Sallah the only POC on the ride? I really can't think of any others.

Above all else though, if they don't add a scene (which wouldn't happen for a long time since HS is running on low fuel in terms of attractions), they could at least start replacing some of the AAs and/or fix Footlight Parade.

I'm not even calling for the amazing looking AAs on Shanghai Pirates or Epcot's Frozen. Just anything could be better than these:
latest

1. That doesn't look like Ingrid Bergman.
2. What is going on with her arms???

Princess Leia

The quality isn't great (after all, this video was taken in 1989), but it's the only one I've found of the opening scene actually working.

BiffyClyro

If we're going to retend licensing doesn't exist - LOTRD for sure. Ferris Buellers day off, James Bond, They are the ones I would persoanlly like to see.

216bruce

Disney has a better relationship with MGM now, right? Just thinking about how TCM has a larger role in the ride. If that's the case, I can see Bond coming to the ride.

If I'm remembering correctly, is Sallah the only POC on the ride? I really can't think of any others.

Above all else though, if they don't add a scene (which wouldn't happen for a long time since HS is running on low fuel in terms of attractions), they could at least start replacing some of the AAs and/or fix Footlight Parade.

I'm not even calling for the amazing looking AAs on Shanghai Pirates or Epcot's Frozen. Just anything could be better than these:
latest

1. That doesn't look like Ingrid Bergman.
2. What is going on with her arms???
Yeah, the AA's are sad. No doubt. The worst, by far, is Tarzan. I laugh when he swings by. And I LOVE old Tarzan movies.
Sallah is it for poc's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom