Motion Sickness-Newer Attractions

Huglife

Original Poster
Hi! I'm very prone to motion sickness on attractions that spin or have moving screens. I still ride attractions like the Simpsons, Spider Man, or Star Tours at Disney, but I have to shut my eyes for certain parts. I won't step foot on a spinning ride like The Teacups:grumpy: and I'm totally fine on Roller Coasters. I'm wondering how I will fare on the newer rides at Universal/IOA. I've been there since Forbidden Journey was built but I didn't ride because I have heard stories about motion sickness. I'm thinking about maybe trying this trip. I'm also curious out the new Harry Potter attraction and the Kong attraction. Any experiences or advice you have would be great. Thanks!

jloucks

Hi! I'm very prone to motion sickness on attractions that spin or have moving screens. I still ride attractions like the Simpsons, Spider Man, or Star Tours at Disney, but I have to shut my eyes for certain parts. I won't step foot on a spinning ride like The Teacups:grumpy: and I'm totally fine on Roller Coasters. I'm wondering how I will fare on the newer rides at Universal/IOA. I've been there since Forbidden Journey was built but I didn't ride because I have heard stories about motion sickness. I'm thinking about maybe trying this trip. I'm also curious out the new Harry Potter attraction and the Kong attraction. Any experiences or advice you have would be great. Thanks!

I am fine on coasters, even hyper-coasters. I can do the teacups, once, and be ok. But that Simpsons ride turned me quite green. My point being it varies a little from person to person, and you seem to be sensitive to spinning.... so be careful with those. The Harry Potter rides, all of them, were pretty tame. Cool, but tame. There is one HP ride that you are on the end of an auto-industry style robot arm on rails that has high motion, but minimal spinning. You should be fine. ...for at least a single try.

Daveeeeed

Here's a report from my parents:

Dad got sick on Despicable Me (if you can't take Soarin' definitely don't do this) generally if you get sick on simulators like Soarin' & Star tours, don't do despicable me, Simpson's or or anything that doesn't move, but has screens.
Transformers, Spider-Man, Gringotts (& to a lesser degree Kong), are about the same type of motion sickness.
Mom hates coasters, and gets sick on simulators, but we convinced her to ride forbidden journey. She felt dizzy after Forbidden Journey for about 15 minutes, but sat down and was fine, and she said she was glad she rode it because it was incredible.
I recommend doing both Harry Pitter rides as even if you are dizzy for a few minutes they are both so good they are worth it.
If you get dizzy by spinning, avoid Men in Black: Alien Attack. Forbidden Journey has a much larger range of motion than any other ride at Universal, but the ride itself moves about the same speed as the haunted mansion.

Last edited:

danpam1024

Simpsons makes me sick-every time, but I still do it because it makes me laugh. FJ makes me feel "off" for 30 minutes after I get off the ride, so we go grab a beer and that miraculously makes me feel better:joyfull:. I don't do the Storm Force tea cup things at all. Everything else I can do ONCE. It amazes me how my kid can go on the same ride 10 times in a row.o_O

JoeCamel

If you can do Simpsons you can do anything there except for Doom and Storm Force (teacups). Simpsons gets me DM is almost the same feeling so I don't do those but the rest are fine.

DisneyPrincess5

It's crazy how different ride effects effect people differently. My husband has similar issues, screen issues in particular. Badly. He won't do Kong next time we do, cannot do Star Tours anymore, almost committed the last time we did Ellen's Energy, and struggled with Gringotts. He does great on Forbidden Journey surprisingly enough while I actually struggle on it as its too much "real stuff" mixed too abruptly with screens for me. Confuses my brain.

Sorry to hear-I understand how much that stinks. It really disappoints him. I'd say it's worth trying some over the counter methods as you've got nothing to lose. If I were you, I'd ride them on YouTube!

njDizFan

I used these on my last trip and they really helped. I was very skeptical but they worked for me. I get a little funny on just about any ride. Back and forth rides like battering ram(not at WDW), spinners (astro orbitor espcially), any simulators(except Soarin'). I will not even attempt MS(that ruined a whole day last trip).

Huglife

Original Poster

I used these on my last trip and they really helped. I was very skeptical but they worked for me. I get a little funny on just about any ride. Back and forth rides like battering ram(not at WDW), spinners (astro orbitor espcially), any simulators(except Soarin'). I will not even attempt MS(that ruined a whole day last trip).
Awesome! I'll give it a try. I'd rather this than medication. I'm totally fine on Soarin' too. I wonder why that one doesn't have the same effect.

TheMouseFan

They have a new Dramamine that is actually just ginger. I haven't tried it, but it definitely shouldn't make you drowsy. There is also something called Motion Eaze that I like. It is an all natural liquid that you put behind your ears. It works really well for my kids when they get car sick. My oldest son really likes the bands shown above as well. Good luck!

The one ride that definitely makes me sick is Transformers. Harry Potter only made me sick if I ate or drank anything but water directly before riding (duh). Simpsons same thing. But definitely try to do a dramamine.

G8rchamps

Just went for the first time last weekend. Loved Gringotts, FJ was OK, DM, was fine as well as Kong (VERY well themed, we had express pass - not worth 2 hr wait), didn't really like spiderman or transformers, didn't even try Simpson according to what others have said.

Screen rides are just not my favorite. There also seems to be a formula of hero/bad guy- 3D screens, something will spit on you, there will be a fire or heat room, fly or fall (these screens get me so I close my eyes), defeat the bad guy, Yeah- we made it!

For the record, Rip Rocket is freaking awesome!!

Epcotfan21

I was fine on EFG but I was dying to get off FJ basically from the start of the ride. If it had been a minute longer, I definitely would have lost my lunch. Fortunately, I didn't, but it made me woozy the rest of the day and didn't feel normal again till the next morning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom