Mother Who Abandoned Child at DL Arressted

cherrynegra

Original Poster
A Redlands, Calif., woman sought since July 15, when her 8-year-old son was found wandering alone in Downtown Disney, was arrested Monday on suspicion of child endangerment, police said.

Robyn Freeman, 38, and her 11-year-old daughter, Shannon, were spotted on Harbor Boulevard about 11:45 a.m. by someone who had seen a photo of the two on TV and notified authorities, said Anaheim police Sgt. Rick Martinez.

The witness followed the woman while talking on a cell phone to police, Martinez said.

Officers detained Freeman near the Anaheim Convention Center, Martinez said.

After questioning her for several hours, police booked Freeman at the Anaheim Detention Center, and her daughter was turned over to Orange County Social Services, Martinez said.

"We determined she had abandoned (her son) at Disneyland and did not make any attempt to reunite with him or to notify law enforcement," Martinez said.

The sergeant said he had no information on a possible motive.

Freeman told reporters as she got into a patrol car with officers that she was confident her son was safe.

"The Lord told me he was OK and to trust in him," Freeman said.

Martinez said Freeman told police she was "not aware anybody was looking for her." He said police "had to show her news articles" that ran in the local newspapers about the search for the woman.

"I would describe her as having a happy attitude, happy and carefree, and unaware that people were concerned for her safety," Martinez said.

She has been sought since her son, Aaron, was found wandering by himself on July 15, Martinez said. He was taken to Orangewood Children's Home and has since been turned over to relatives, Martinez said.

Family members told reporters over the weekend Freeman was struggling to raise Shannon and Aaron as a single mother, and that the children have separate fathers who have not been in their lives and do not pay child support.

The woman worked sporadically, had financial problems and there was some speculation she may have been living out of her car, according to news reports.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Actually, I'm very intrigued with the obvious psychological aspect to this case. I think she's suffering in the mental health department and they're bound to run tests on her to see if she's all there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom