Mosquitos!! Was Pest control part of the cuts?

TLtron

What if Disney simply releases a lot more birds to control the problem? What's the worst that could happen?
11623d1162819577-birds-bird-attack.jpg

Edit: Okay, what's the second worst that could happen?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Do those bugs sting. I got a really bad sting from a huge bug in ToT. I had to go to first aid, as it was still stinging after 1/2 hour. They put some miracle cream on it. And all was good, after another 15 minutes.
No. They can supposedly bite (more like a nibble) but it is extremely rare and has no venom or toxin.

ratherbeinwdw

Do those bugs sting. I got a really bad sting from a huge bud in ToT. I had to go to first aid, as it was still stinging after 1/2 hour. They put some miracle cream on it. And all was good, after another 15 minutes.
Did you see what it looked like? I was bitten by a horse fly outside HM. It stung like crazy for a wh
Do those bugs sting. I got a really bad sting from a huge bug in ToT. I had to go to first aid, as it was still stinging after 1/2 hour. They put some miracle cream on it. And all was good, after another 15 minutes.
They "eat" human flesh. They don't just bite like a spider would. It's not common. They wouldn't just land on a person and bite. I watched a science program one night where the scientist put his leg in a large clear container with cockroaches. Within 20 minutes, they started eating/nibbling his flesh. It was beyond disgusting. I have never liked being around them, but after that program, I make sure to keep the perimeter of my house sprayed regularly.

betty rose

Did you see what it looked like? I was bitten by a horse fly outside HM. It stung like crazy for a wh

They "eat" human flesh. They don't just bite like a spider would. It's not common. They wouldn't just land on a person and bite. I watched a science program one night where the scientist put his leg in a large clear container with cockroaches. Within 20 minutes, they started eating/nibbling his flesh. It was beyond disgusting. I have never liked being around them, but after that program, I make sure to keep the perimeter of my house sprayed regularly.
It didn't buzz like a horse fly. It was kind of dark. Grandson swatted at the bug, and it landed on my leg and stung me.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
While I was at WDW from May 15-18, I didn't notice any mosquitoes, which was unusual. When I came home last week, I didn't have any bites. I usually get a few each year when I visit down there.
Wow... we were there May 18th thru the 20th and were bitten/saw many. Most of the mosquitoes were after sundown. We thought it was unusual to have an issue with the mosquitoes, as we don't recall ever having an issue in the past..EVER, not a single recollection!!

Spike-in-Berlin

As they already cut down on the AC in 2012 (I find it untolerable hot in many restaurants and shops during the hot months since they did that! ) I wouldn't be surprised if they also cut down on pest control by now, frankly I am convinced that TDO couldn't care less for guest comfort today if they can increase profit instead.

Brad Bishop

Well, depends on the bug, of course. Wasps, bees, and hornets sting. Yellow jackets have a pretty nasty bite. Spiders can bite but it's usually well after the fact that you notice those.

Sorry - didn't catch it until later. Palmetto bugs is what you were referring to. No, they don't sting. They mostly creep people who are several 1000x larger than them completely out. They're pretty harmless - just unsightly. You're not going to be killed or wounded in any possible way by a palmetto bug.

Brad Bishop

It didn't buzz like a horse fly. It was kind of dark. Grandson swatted at the bug, and it landed on my leg and stung me.

Reminds me of a time when my daughter and I were rolling into the station at Everest. There was a bumble bee in her hair. I told her, "Just stay calm. There's a bumble bee in your hair. I'll get it out.." She remained calm. I picked up the spot where here hair was and just gently moved it enough to where he flew away.

MississippiBelle

Palmetto bugs (actual name is the American cockroach) are a cockroach common in the southern US. They are reddish brown in color and between 1-1.5 inches long making them one of the bigger cockroaches. They also have wings and can fly, but not very well.

Also known as "the horrifying plague against humanity". Roaches are particularly bad in the South where pine trees abound (roaches love them some pine trees y'all.) I'm not ashamed to admit that I got a hotel room for a night this spring when a hand sized roach ran a marathon around my walls. I agree that there isn't much more Disney can do short of selling bug spray in the parks, but then we'd see a thread about bug spray price outrage... and a post defending bug spray prices... and a post asking about why we care about bug spray prices... :rolleyes: Seriously though, as someone said before, going after them any harder than they probably already are will affect the local bee population. If the bees go, we go people!

Was at MK Saturday night and seen several roaches in Tomorrowland on Astro orbiter and the concrete seats in front on the ride in fact I seen one gentleman sitting there on his phone and he went to scratch his leg and 2 roaches were crawling on his leg and he jumped and looked back and seen the planter behind him was crawling with roaches have never seen it that bad before.

Brad Bishop

Was at MK Saturday night and seen several roaches in Tomorrowland on Astro orbiter and the concrete seats in front on the ride in fact I seen one gentleman sitting there on his phone and he went to scratch his leg and 2 roaches were crawling on his leg and he jumped and looked back and seen the planter behind him was crawling with roaches have never seen it that bad before.

It really sounds like they're having a REALLY bad year for bugs or they've cut back on pest control.

The really bad year bit could be the case but they've been there for nearly 50 years and everyone remembers it being pretty much "bug free" (day to day you're not going to get bit or see roaches scattering about). My money would be on pest control cutbacks, especially in light of all of the other cutbacks. Why wouldn't they cutback there, as well?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It really sounds like they're having a REALLY bad year for bugs or they've cut back on pest control.

The really bad year bit could be the case but they've been there for nearly 50 years and everyone remembers it being pretty much "bug free" (day to day you're not going to get bit or see roaches scattering about). My money would be on pest control cutbacks, especially in light of all of the other cutbacks. Why wouldn't they cutback there, as well?
Having lived in Florida for the last 44 years, we are having a several really bad years back to back with each one worse that the previous one. You quite literally can not go outside in rural areas at dusk because of all the mosquitoes.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
Having lived in Florida for the last 44 years, we are having a several really bad years back to back with each one worse that the previous one. You quite literally can not go outside in rural areas at dusk because of all the mosquitoes.
They're bad in the Low Country SC as well...

NelleBelle

And here I thought love bugs were the hated WDW pestilence problem! I remember one year we went the love bugs were so bad that they were literally vacuuming them up on the monorail platform outside the GF while another CM used a push broom to sweep them into a pile.:hungover:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
And here I thought love bugs were the hated WDW pestilence problem! I remember one year we went the love bugs were so bad that they were literally vacuuming them up on the monorail platform outside the GF while another CM used a push broom to sweep them into a pile.:hungover:
Love bugs are just something we have to endure. Since they do not bite, sting, carry disease or do anything more serious than double the number of trips you make for the car wash for a few weeks a year, there is no real pro to offset the con of spraying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom