Mosquitos!! Was Pest control part of the cuts?

WhatJaneSays

They probably didn't cut anything back, but there might not be anything more they can do without being damaging. The mosquito season this year in Florida is expected to be a lot worse that typical.

"In Florida, mosquito season is a yearly occurrence ranging from about Memorial Day to Labor Day, but thanks to the harsh el Niño weather, mosquitos did not go inactive this year and instead reproduced right through the winter season." [Link]

There has been a lot more mosquito activity in many places earlier in the year. It's been a major damper on trying to plan outside events already this year.

Last edited:

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I just got back yesterday and I have bites all over my legs. I'm itching like crazy. I'll tell you one worse though. We have to pay $1,200 a year in dues at Bay Lake and our studio had ANTS crawling through the sliding glass door and biting my wife on the balcony. So then I look in the bed and there goes an ant. So my wife calls the front desk and tells them about it and they say they will send someone up to spray them. I go to the front desk and demand the manager and tell him we have a huge problem and in about 20 minutes we were moved to a 1br. Any other BLT members here that have noticed this problem?

JIMINYCR

I cant say I've ever seen one on my many trips before. It's certainly unusual. But if some pesky pests get by, its not a trip breaker. Theyve done more than any other park I've been to to control pests. I think its unreasonable to expect any place to be perfectly pest free. It's Florida, the climate is perfect for bugs, Disney does a great job trying to make it pest free for their guests. If a few get by, :jawdrop: it happens. o_O

Lily1958

We visit 2-3 times a year and nearly always stay in the campground. I have never even seen a mosquito. Spiders and snakes, wild turkey, raccoons and deer, yes. And even a crocodile in the Magic Kingdom. But no mosquitos. Given the current situation with the Zika virus, this could be detrimental to attendance. With the cutbacks and price increases, this is one more nail in the coffin. On the other hand, mosquitos carrying Zika are moving north and by next year may be all over the U.S.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Not a good time to cut back on mosquito eradication.

Yeah, not a good time for any county in Florida to cut back on mosquito eradication. 116 confirmed Zika cases in Florida. And we are entering the rainy season. Plus, it looks like Florida's 10 year hurricane drought will end this year. While I prefer non-pesticide methods of mosquito control (bats, purple martins, etc.), this particular species needs to be exterminated pronto.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We visit 2-3 times a year and nearly always stay in the campground. I have never even seen a mosquito. Spiders and snakes, wild turkey, raccoons and deer, yes. And even a crocodile in the Magic Kingdom. But no mosquitos. Given the current situation with the Zika virus, this could be detrimental to attendance. With the cutbacks and price increases, this is one more nail in the coffin. On the other hand, mosquitos carrying Zika are moving north and by next year may be all over the U.S.
Nails in coffins only matter when there is something inside. I don't think Disney is quite dead yet.

Now if the sun doesn't rise in the morning that's the clear cut signs of cut backs.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I look forward to going to WDW because it's one of the times I can ESCAPE from the typical Florida mosquitoes. I've never had a problem with bugs at WDW, but who knows. Maybe the mosquitoes will eat me alive in July.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom