More Wrapped Buses

lazyboy97o

It's not even worth trying to break this down for them. The fact the entire guest experience was part of the vision and strategy implemented is completely lost on people these days. An almost utopian experience was aspired to. But now.. Slap some DisneyTM labels on things and call it a day... and who cares, the average guest doesn't notice it so they're happy and coming back for more. Record crowds! Loyal fans!

Somethings are best just left utilitarian as they should try to not DETRACT from the rest of the stuff going on. Subtlety is the key, balanced with other things to draw the person's focus. But obviously no one has any idea of that when you put up 60ft moving billboards of your latest conglomerate products.
I'd rather say something because I think someone is reading and listening to everything. I used to think he sort of stuff discussed back int he day on MiceAge was nuts, but now I am very much one who thinks that sort of minutia is important to the themed entertainment experience.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'd rather say something because I think someone is reading and listening to everything. I used to think he sort of stuff discussed back int he day on MiceAge was nuts, but now I am very much one who thinks that sort of minutia is important to the themed entertainment experience.

The posts in this thread just re-enforce what Disney has been pushing the last decade. WDW is now theme parks plus hotels... not a destination resort in itself. "the bubble stops at the parks", etc.. SMH

SnarkyMonkey

Oh come now...it probably takes about the same amount of effort as it does to keep finding new things to complain about at place that has disappointed you for years that you have no intention of returning to, yet can't stop obsessing over.

I find it amusing that we are being called "pixie dusters". As far as I can tell, the criticism is that we are too realistic in asserting that Disney is a business, selling a product, and that we can either buy the product and like it for what it is or not. And as far as I can tell, those throwing around the names seem to believe that Disny should be some magical alternate universe that exists only to make all their dreams come true. So I ask: Would the real Pixie Dusters please stand up?

What creative goals are accomplished at Walt Disney World by selling the advertisement space?

Movies, video games, television shows, new characters, new products, new creations. Next question.

flynnibus

Premium Member
As far as I can tell, the criticism is that we are too realistic in asserting that Disney is a business, selling a product, and that we can either buy the product and like it for what it is or not

If this were a shopping site or a product review site... then you'd be correct. But this is a site that includes discussion around the theory, operation, and Disney company as a topic in itself... not simply a place to find what products to buy or not.

Disney, its principles, their approach to both product and customer service are a topic of research and interest in itself. Not simply just CONSUMING Disney product.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
None of those are at all related to Walt Disney World.

That is where you are wrong. If you read any of the historical books about Walt Disney and the building of Walt Disney World it talks about linking all of Disney together into one. The movies where made part of the parks. His Television shows where reflex in the parks. The parks where often featured on his television shows. It all tied together. Disney was not just Disneyland, it was a marketing machine that included television, movies, books, and Disneyland. If video games and bus wraps where available in the 1950's I am betting you would of had them in use at Walt Disney World. Is Disney more commercial than it was in the 1950's, yes it is the world is more commercial. If you do not see that then you have your head buried in the sand, or maybe it is not sand it is pixie dust.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I don't recall a 30' long, 10' high rolling "Kodak Picture Spot" billboard. Maybe your definition of "in your face" and my definition of "in your face" are a titch different.

Everyone has a definition of "in your face", but a advertisement is an advertisement. To sit and say that because Walt Disney did not use vehicle wraps, something that was not available to him at the time, is like saying computer animation should not be used by Disney.

CaptainAmerica

That is where you are wrong. If you read any of the historical books about Walt Disney and the building of Walt Disney World it talks about linking all of Disney together into one. The movies where made part of the parks. His Television shows where reflex in the parks. The parks where often featured on his television shows. It all tied together. Disney was not just Disneyland, it was a marketing machine that included television, movies, books, and Disneyland. If video games and bus wraps where available in the 1950's I am betting you would of had them in use at Walt Disney World. Is Disney more commercial than it was in the 1950's, yes it is the world is more commercial. If you do not see that then you have your head buried in the sand, or maybe it is not sand it is pixie dust.
Exactly. Walt Disney basically invented the cross platform marketing strategy. Disneyland itself was a living bilboard for Disney movies. There was a television show CALLED "Disneyland." This isn't some new scheme hatched by Bob Iger or the evil "TDO." It's been going on for a century and started with Walt himself.

But no, that can't be! Uncle Walt was a sweet and magical old wizard who never would have considered anything as pedestrian as "marketing strategy."

lazyboy97o

That is a modern lie repeated over and over for people to justify decisions like this. Disney World was all about EPCOT, a city that was not to be a branded experience. Mineral King had no synergy. Only about ¼ of Disneyland's opening day attractions were connected to prior Studio work and by the 1960s new projects based on Studio work had become almost non-existent.

lazyboy97o

Exactly. Walt Disney basically invented the cross platform marketing strategy. Disneyland itself was a living bilboard for Disney movies. There was a television show CALLED "Disneyland." This isn't some new scheme hatched by Bob Iger or the evil "TDO." It's been going on for a century and started with Walt himself.

But no, that can't be! Uncle Walt was a sweet and magical old wizard who never would have considered anything as pedestrian as "marketing strategy."
Disneyland was a poor ad for films seeing as very little of its content related to films and that amount only decreased after opening.

Figment2005

That is a modern lie repeated over and over for people to justify decisions like this. Disney World was all about EPCOT, a city that was not to be a branded experience. Mineral King had no synergy. Only about ¼ of Disneyland's opening day attractions were connected to prior Studio work and by the 1960s new projects based on Studio work had become almost non-existent.
So your saying that Epcot, had it been built as a city in its intended form, would not have had any advertisements in place? So all the workplaces, entertainment venues, etc. would be spread by happenstance or word of mouth? That is truly an ingorant assumption because all cities have advertisements, even idealistic ones.

lazyboy97o

So your saying that Epcot, had it been built as a city in its intended form, would not have had any advertisements in place? So all the workplaces, entertainment venues, etc. would be spread by happenstance or word of mouth? That is truly an ingorant assumption because all cities have advertisements, even idealistic ones.
Nice try at twisting out something never said. EPCOT was not a brand city intended to synergizing with studio offerings. Disney films are not mentioned at all as a component of the plan.

arko

I don't recall a 30' long, 10' high rolling "Kodak Picture Spot" billboard. Maybe your definition of "in your face" and my definition of "in your face" are a titch different.

No but everyone here speaks of immersion and that these buses break that. My argument is that they break the immersion no more than any other corporate logo that is plastered on any Disney sign or product. At least in this case we are looking at Disney branding and not another company.

CaptainAmerica

@lazyboy97o you seem like you have a decent understanding of WDW history so I'm surprised you're missing the mark so badly on this one. Why do you have to take the monorail or ferry to get from the TTC to the Magic Kingdom? To separate the "real world" experiences of driving and parking from the fantasy world experience of the Magic Kingdom. The driving and parking (i.e. the transportation TO the park) was always outside of that divide. The line being drawn at the theme park and not the Resort entrance has always been the case.

Figment2005

Nice try at twisting out something never said. EPCOT was not a brand city intended to synergizing with studio offerings. Disney films are not mentioned at all as a component of the plan.
Not trying to twist, you are just making the assumption that if Epcot were built that things would be different. In all actuality, things would probably be worse than now being it a city environment. Think about it, wrapped busses, wrapped monorails, billboards along the people mover.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom