More Wrapped Buses

arko

But stepping back 60 years to day one of the invention of the modern destination theme park resort would be disingenuous, would it not? We now have an established standard. And I may be wrong but the inclusion of bus and monorail wraps is a relatively new (last 10 years or so) thing for the resort? And they are very big, very crass examples of modern marketing. So it is not surprising that the more observant of us notice the change.

But the established standard is full of in your face corporate advertising and always has been.
Product placement and naming is not the same as big billboards. Walt's sponsorship deals to fund the park were done in ways to plug into the theme park experience (with the exception of his 'we got nothing else...' TL.. which at least had a little basis in the land).

Seeing the latest ABC TV Shows on a bus... no such integration or purpose. It's purely advertising.

what you mean like this

384822961_44938533fd_b.jpg

or maybe this one ( I guess it has some theming but its still pure advertising)

Kodak.jpg

or this one
2137copy2.jpg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Kinda reminds me of the billboards in the parking lot and within the studios.

I see that blight when I ride the train into Chicago.

I prefer general theming.
Monorail
images
tokyo_disneysea001.jpg

DisneyBus.jpg
images

images

large_DSC02595.JPG

This type of theming screams Resort over advertising all their other wares.

Love the Mickey shaped handle straps. And the Air Stream shaped bus is awesome!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
They're buses! Get over yourselves - and find something more constructive to complain about. Like FP+....

Disneyhead'71

They're buses! Get over yourselves - and find something more constructive to complain about. Like FP+....
As spoken like a true pixie duster.

This is like a really loud advertisement for the monster truck rally during my $300/hr Aromastone massage.

But I guess most WDW fans are more familiar with a monster truck rally than an Aromastone Massage. We are in 'Murica after all.

arko

As spoken like a true pixie duster.

This is like a really loud advertisement for the monster truck rally during my $300/hr Aromastone massage.

there is plenty wrong with WDW these days, from poorly maintained rides to diminishing customer service, to rising prices that get you less and less. But the simple fact is in your face advertising and corporate sponsorship has always been around at both Disneyland and WDW. These are just a new way of expressing it, no more no less. Personally I would prefer to look at something like the Agent carter bus than a go eat at a restaurant named after a chip (Casa de Frito's). At least they are promoting the Disney brand in some way, unlike some classics like Dole Whip, which is blatent advertising, yet somehow gets a pass because its a drink. Or the Kodak picture spot, how about just a Disney Picture Spot (well we got that , but only because Kodak went bankrupt).
I mean if you want to get picky , nothing ruins the resort atmosphere than having to get on a bus in the first place, why not at least make them interesting to look at.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Themed Resort Transport:

BB_CBBR_v4914_tcm13-46405.jpg

Multi Platform Marketing Strategy:

bus1.jpg

One complements the resort experience in terms of themed entertainment, one is a rolling product billboard. And anyone that says different is lying or an idiot. Now you can chose to let it bother you or not, but the truth is plain.

And the Pixie Dusters circle the wagons.......
Is that the World of Disney store behind that Disney Infinity bus?

Disneyhead'71

there is plenty wrong with WDW these days, from poorly maintained rides to diminishing customer service, to rising prices that get you less and less. But the simple fact is in your face advertising and corporate sponsorship has always been around at both Disneyland and WDW. These are just a new way of expressing it, no more no less. Personally I would prefer to look at something like the Agent carter bus than a go eat at a restaurant named after a chip (Casa de Frito's). At least they are promoting the Disney brand in some way, unlike some classics like Dole Whip, which is blatent advertising, yet somehow gets a pass because its a drink. Or the Kodak picture spot, how about just a Disney Picture Spot (well we got that , but only because Kodak went bankrupt).
I mean if you want to get picky , nothing ruins the resort atmosphere than having to get on a bus in the first place, why not at least make them interesting to look at.
I don't recall a 30' long, 10' high rolling "Kodak Picture Spot" billboard. Maybe your definition of "in your face" and my definition of "in your face" are a titch different.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But the established standard is full of in your face corporate advertising and always has been.

what you mean like this

384822961_44938533fd_b.jpg

or maybe this one ( I guess it has some theming but its still pure advertising)

Kodak.jpg

or this one
2137copy2.jpg

None of which are from walt's park which is the context you quoted and the discussion point.

Citing other examples of bad choices made since then doesnt mean two wrongs make a right.

Figment2005

You see to be forgetting that title... Walt Disney World Resort....

People stayed on property hotels to stay IN the bubble... no bothers with parking, driving, etc. The magically Disney transportation system of monorails, boats, and trains were all forms of transportation that wisked you from the park to your disney resort... so your whole trip, not just your park visit, was in this Disney reality.
I did not forget that point, it was stated in an earlier post. The entire resort encompasses many smaller resorts.

Figment2005

I feel like the monorails look "cool" because of their sleek bodies. If you painted a bus like a monorail it would still be a white bus with a stripe on the side.
I've always thought the monorails would look more futuristic if they changed the base color from eggshell white, so a silver or gray like the new busses.

lazyboy97o

The big-R "Resort" (i.e. Walt Disney World) is far from cohesive, all transportation systems aside. There's nothing cohesive about a yacht club, a hunting lodge, an African savanna, Germany, an 1800s equestrian-themed hotel, monsters, aliens, a mysterious elevator, a music studio, a fossil site, and a fantasy castle all within walking distance of one another.

Cohesive theming within individual resorts, parks, or lands makes sense. Trying to tie ALL of Walt Disney World together as one "in-story" experience is stretching the narrative to say the least.
Cohesive does not mean all interconnected in one single narrative. You're insipid excuse of "Magic" being an out for the Magic Kingdom would apply to Walt Disney World as "World" would be the same out, being a place that can hold "all the ideas and plans [Disney] could possibly imagine."

I think the odd thing about the complaining is that the Agent Carter bus, at least, is far better themed than the ordinary buses. It makes the ordinary bus look like something distinct and interesting. While it may be an advertisement, IMHO it is one that actually enhances the environment.

Beyond that, I don't see how doing the wraps or not damages the WDW experience. The buses are not "on stage" and part of the theming and environment to begin with. I'm actually sympathetic to most arguments about intrusions of the outside world into the theme parks, but this strikes me as an odd place to draw a line.
There is nothing themed about the Agent Carter advertisement. The bus experience does not change. It is not a plate 1940s ex[eriecne when one boards. It is not a Marvel Cinematic Universe experience when one enters. Nothing actually changes but some images. The buses are "on stage" because everything g guests see is "on stage."

Dude. It's an UGLY bus. They covered an ugly bus and made it less ugly and you're complaining. If they covered a MAGICal bus and made it less MAGICal, then your point would be well-taken. It's a plain white bus.

Walt-Disney-World-Bus.jpg
That's the old paint scheme. And again, it is at least neutral and uniform.

the intended resort experience is designed to separate you from as much of your money as they can, nothing more nothing less. Its why they had rides exit in gift shops and the whole left side of main street is one giant interconnected store, or why they offer to pick you up at the airport. just because I recognize what Disney is doing, doesn't mean I can't enjoy myself just the same. If its bad show then its been bad show since Walt opened up Disneyland
Ah yes, the trite and tired "Disney is a business."

I did not forget that point, it was stated in an earlier post. The entire resort encompasses many smaller resorts.
You forgot it and tried to ignore it.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

But stepping back 60 years to day one of the invention of the modern destination theme park resort would be disingenuous, would it not? We now have an established standard. And I may be wrong but the inclusion of bus and monorail wraps is a relatively new (last 10 years or so) thing for the resort? And they are very big, very crass examples of modern marketing. So it is not surprising that the more observant of us notice the change.
That's probably because bus wraps didn't even start to get in use to any degree until about 14 years ago. So you weren't anymore observant then the rest of us. Can't see what wasn't there. As long as they stick to some Disney Theme or property, and not advertise State Farm Insurance or something like that, I do not see where it is any more or less appropriate then the old buses that had Disney in big letters on the side. It identified the bus as being part of Disney as does any Disney based bus dressing of today. Should Disney not be able to take advantage of newer, very clever, technology because the real Pixie Dusters are unable to get past the past and must leave everything as it was or else it is evil?

Figment2005

Nope, I didn't forget anything...

A. Sandals isn't 46 square miles.
B. People do not stay offsite of Sandals and take transportation to get inside.
According to the Webster Dictionary, a resort is "a place where people go for vacations". Nowhere does it say a resort must be all one cohesive environment. The Walt Disney World Resort is, by definition, a single resort consisting of many smaller resorts. Each connected by public transportation.

lazyboy97o

No, but it sure looks like that from first glance. You're right though, who would ever want something clever and creative like that on a Disney bus when they can have the word Disney printed on the side. Now that shows creativity.
Editing is a huge key to a strong creative project.

flynnibus

Premium Member

It's not even worth trying to break this down for them. The fact the entire guest experience was part of the vision and strategy implemented is completely lost on people these days. An almost utopian experience was aspired to. But now.. Slap some DisneyTM labels on things and call it a day... and who cares, the average guest doesn't notice it so they're happy and coming back for more. Record crowds! Loyal fans!

Somethings are best just left utilitarian as they should try to not DETRACT from the rest of the stuff going on. Subtlety is the key, balanced with other things to draw the person's focus. But obviously no one has any idea of that when you put up 60ft moving billboards of your latest conglomerate products.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom