Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor Tested today 1/19/06

BRER DAD

I Havnt Seen It But Im Looking Forward To It (going In August). I Hope Its Somthing That Will Work Out. They Ruined The Alien Escape By Putting Stitch In, But It Was A Good Try......my Kids Like Stitch Better Then The Alien.

EpcotServo

just walked by it and they are running CM only today. there were some upset people who wanted to go on it outside.
Huh. The Eyes and Ears said the 28th and 29th were Cast Previews. I guess today and maybe the next few days are the Magic Kingdom Cast Member previews. Sad that people always have to argue about getting in. Not like anybody said it was going to be open now anyways! Thanks for the update.

napnet

hrm... well the cm preview sign is gone and they said they were opening it up after 9. ill go give it a whirl after wishes.

donsullivan

Premium Member
It was open to general park guests yesterday. I was headed toward TTA shortly after the parade and there was a sign out front that it was open so I headed on in to check it out. I was sort of surprised since the AP preview is next weekend I didn't expect to see it open.

I'm not sure I've decided whether I like it or not (usually not a good sign for me) but I figure I'll hold my overall opinion till I've seen it a few times. It may have some potential but it's still a little rough around the edges, especially when the crowd interraction portion doesn't go smoothly. If the people in the crowd are really uncomfortable with being chosen to interract it can be a little awkward.

TRACEY33467

Seasonal Passholder Black Out Dates

I saw this on under the passholder section on disneyworld.com. The seasonal passes go on blackout March 31st but this sounds like you can get into the Magic Kingdom thru April 1st with a seasonal pass.
nspired by Disney · Pixar's "Monsters, Inc."

Event Dates: March 30 - April 1

What's so great about getting the last laugh when you can get the first? Help Mike Wazowski, your "Monster of Ceremonies," and his wild and crazy pals power the city of Monstropolis — with laughter — at the new Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor Passholder preview. You and up to three guests can be among the first to experience the new interactive show March 30 - April 1; before its official opening at the Magic Kingdom®!

The block-out has been lifted for the preview dates at Magic Kingdom Park to enable Seasonal Passholders to attend this special event.

jedimaster1227

I got to try it out again on Saturday. My opinion of the attraction hardly changed, with the acts being only a little better. The inclusion of the pre-show video and the text jokes seemed to work a little better, but the animations are still as choppy as they were before. My rating was only bumped from a 1 out of 10 to a 2 out of 10.

Xadllas

I Havnt Seen It But Im Looking Forward To It (going In August). I Hope Its Somthing That Will Work Out. They Ruined The Alien Escape By Putting Stitch In, But It Was A Good Try......my Kids Like Stitch Better Then The Alien.
*cough* Alien Encounter *cough*

Dr Albert Falls

I also caught The Laugh Floor this weekend, and thought it was really fun.

I've read some criticism on these boards, most of which appears to have been written during the earlier tests.

Whatever glitches and poor pacing problems the show originally had appear to have beeen worked out.

Of course, you must go into this with reasonable expectations. I really enjoy Turtle Talk-- but I take it for what it is: a small yet memorable C-Ticket attraction.

The Laugh Floor is the same as Turtle Talk, but built for a huge audience. And I'm not just comparing the technology. The humor, the pacing, and the general "feel" are about the same. Don't expect fast-paced comedy that will have tears rolling down your face. But you will have a smile on your face.

Comparing the two attractions, my biggest surprise is that The Laugh Floor is still able to capture that one-on-one interaction in such a huge theater. I was afraid such technology would only work in an small, intimate setting like Turtle Talk, but this show is surprisingly interactive.

And that's why I think this show succeeds. I've only seen the show once. But I'm guessing its probably 2/3rds scripted, and 1/3rd improv. That 1/3rd improv is what you remember. And it's what will keep the show popular for years to come. It may not be a must-see every visit-- but neither is Country Bears, Carousel of Progress, American Adventure, and just about every other sit-down "show". But I think this one will be a hit.

DisneyMusician2

I hope they do the really corny jokes. They are the best! Are the actors voices like the movie, or is there a noticeable difference in the tone and timbre?

SGT623

Original Poster
I hope they do the really corny jokes. They are the best! Are the actors voices like the movie, or is there a noticeable difference in the tone and timbre?

Aside from Mike & Roz. All of the monsters are new for the ride. Depends on the day, but last week Mike was pretty much right on.

Matpez

Are the actors voices like the movie, or is there a noticeable difference in the tone and timbre?

As far as I could tell from seeing it twice, Roz never changes what she says, so it could have been done once by the original actor.

Mike is a little more interactive, but I am not sure he ever changes what he says either.

The monsters that perform the show and are not featured in the movie may have different voices, but it would be harder to pick up on that.

Figment82

I saw it twice in one day last week, and was amazed at how similar the two shows were. For a show that advertises itself as being different everytime and like an improv comedy club, it doesn't have much repeatability if they can't even change their jokes from show to show. I was not impressed by that at all.

I thought it was somewhat cute, but not "funny" and I so dearly wanted to text in "I love the Timekeeper" :)

Blonde Princess

Saw Laugh Floor yesterdaywith my kids (10 & 7). It was cute. Funny jokes for kids and adults. It was better than I thought it was going to be. Would definitely recommend for those with kids.

RSoxNo1

I saw it twice in one day last week, and was amazed at how similar the two shows were. For a show that advertises itself as being different everytime and like an improv comedy club, it doesn't have much repeatability if they can't even change their jokes from show to show. I was not impressed by that at all.

I thought it was somewhat cute, but not "funny" and I so dearly wanted to text in "I love the Timekeeper" :)

Herein lies part of the problem. The show will be different from day to day as different people do the voices and the improv portions. If you're going the same day, it's very unlikely that each show is going to be very different. I doubt that an attraction like this gets a lot of repeat visitors in the same day. Spread that out by a day, a week, a month, or a year and it will most assuredly be different.

Snapper Bean

Herein lies part of the problem. The show will be different from day to day as different people do the voices and the improv portions. If you're going the same day, it's very unlikely that each show is going to be very different. I doubt that an attraction like this gets a lot of repeat visitors in the same day. Spread that out by a day, a week, a month, or a year and it will most assuredly be different.

I don't consider that to be too big of a problem. It's a show and not a ride. Hardly anybody repeats a show-type attraction on the same day. I liked it but I wouldn't plan my day around it. I'm firmly in the "something is better than nothing" camp and this is better than nothing and I think better than Timekeeper. I would have preferred the Monsters, Inc. ride but given the space constraints, I think they did pretty good.

Shaman

Is this geared more towards kids or is it good for adults?

More for kids, but the adults will get in a chuckle or two. It's a nice attraction, nothing out of this world, but I think it is way better than TK.

:D

EDIT: And this has probably already been said but...the audience MAKES the show. If you get stuck with boring people...then there's only so much that can be done...:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom