Monorail Update January 2015

Rasvar

The only time(s) I've been tossed around on the WDW monorail is when the beam lost power, At least I assume the beam lost power because hard stop, ventilation shut down and emergency lights came on. I'm assuming the e-brake engages when beam power is lost to hold the train in position.

Just like a conventional train where the air brakes hold the brakes in a disengaged state so in the event of problems the train fails safe.
There have been a few times when I think a new driver is working that I have had some herky jerky stops on the rail. Almost as if reacting to an overspeed situation in the switchbeam area with a panic stop or hard break. I always love the new guy who breaks hard into station and still misses the stop point and has to back up. I had one driver who missed the stop point forwards and backwards twice at the Poly.

Figment2005

The only time(s) I've been tossed around on the WDW monorail is when the beam lost power, At least I assume the beam lost power because hard stop, ventilation shut down and emergency lights came on. I'm assuming the e-brake engages when beam power is lost to hold the train in position.

Just like a conventional train where the air brakes hold the brakes in a disengaged state so in the event of problems the train fails safe.
You are correct, that experience was definitely a loss of power. However, what the other poster is describing just doesn't fit in with the description of an E Stop. I don't want to sound harsh, and I don't mean it in a derogatory way, but it sounds like the poster just was not prepared for the train to slow down and lost their balance.

Figment2005

they didnt say only two on the beam, the capacity for that beam is 3-4 after all... and i have seen three on that beam, counting colors from the walkway b/t FW and WS
95% of the year they run 2 trains. The exceptions are Fourth of July, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, and marathon weekend. That is why I am assuming 2 trains.

Figment2005

There have been a few times when I think a new driver is working that I have had some herky jerky stops on the rail. Almost as if reacting to an overspeed situation in the switchbeam area with a panic stop or hard break. I always love the new guy who breaks hard into station and still misses the stop point and has to back up. I had one driver who missed the stop point forwards and backwards twice at the Poly.
Hehe, and the Poly is the easiest one to stop in. So much wiggle room.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You are correct, that experience was definitely a loss of power. However, what the other poster is describing just doesn't fit in with the description of an E Stop. I don't want to sound harsh, and I don't mean it in a derogatory way, but it sounds like the poster just was not prepared for the train to slow down and lost their balance.

Being an experienced subway rider mostly the 'T" in Boston I'm always have a firm grip on a part of the train for those times when the train makes an unplanned stop.

Figment2005

I was sitting. As was everyone else in the car. IT was a hard, hard brake, coming up at the track switch. My guess was the driver felt he was coming in too fast, and did seem new - we had several back ups and the like to get set at the stops. Regardless, I was leaning forward in my seat, so when we braked I went forward first, then back.

Anywho...
Once again, I am not calling you a liar or anything, I am just going with my experience with those trains.

articos

Not sure if anyone has talked about this. Why can't TDO take the same approach as Disneyland. Just use the same frame and reskin and replace some of the guts. Cheaper option of building all new trains and it would be easier to retrofit full automation
TCS automation is a separate project. When needed, the trains would get new shells like what was done in Anaheim, but there's no need at this point. The interiors need the work first.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Interesting they would go into shuttle mode. Is it possible for both cabs to be powered up but only one have control? That is how the ferryboats operate with a switch allowing control to flip. I would certainly hope this is possible, otherwise either they have to drive in reverse or spend 5-7 minutes(as I understand it) to boot up the opposite cab each trip. Yikes! Although I suppose if it's shuttle mode, they can only have one train on a beam anyway.

lazyboy97o

Interesting they would go into shuttle mode. Is it possible for both cabs to be powered up but only one have control? That is how the ferryboats operate with a switch allowing control to flip. I would certainly hope this is possible, otherwise either they have to drive in reverse or spend 5-7 minutes(as I understand it) to boot up the opposite cab each trip. Yikes! Although I suppose if it's shuttle mode, they can only have one train on a beam anyway.
The trains can be reversed. I believe they now require a spotter in the opposite cab that is now going forward. Cameras could also be installed like was done at Disneyland for when those trains had to run in shuttle mode during the construction of Disney's California Adventure.

Figment2005

The trains can be reversed. I believe they now require a spotter in the opposite cab that is now going forward. Cameras could also be installed like was done at Disneyland for when those trains had to run in shuttle mode during the construction of Disney's California Adventure.
The trains already have cameras installed in the cabs for reversing.

PirateFrank

Has there been any update regarding when the repairs to the contemporary will commence?
Also, will the express mono stop at the contemporary instead of the resort monos or does it just mean that there will be no monorails stopping at the hotel and everything will be buses?

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Yeah I know they can be reversed and have cameras, but I have a hard time imagining them letting a train reverse into a station or even driving in reverse for an extended period with guests on board. It happens in emergencies, but I can't imagine that as an operation. There are still a lot of hazards(Squirrel!) the drivers deal with on the beams.

lazyboy97o

Yeah I know they can be reversed and have cameras, but I have a hard time imagining them letting a train reverse into a station or even driving in reverse for an extended period with guests on board. It happens in emergencies, but I can't imagine that as an operation. There are still a lot of hazards(Squirrel!) the drivers deal with on the beams.
That is why there would be a spotter and/or camera.

anchorman314

Has there been any update regarding when the repairs to the contemporary will commence?
Also, will the express mono stop at the contemporary instead of the resort monos or does it just mean that there will be no monorails stopping at the hotel and everything will be buses?
I can't 100% picture the platform inside the Contemporary at the moment, but is there even the necessary infrastructure attached to the express beam (full platform / elevators / stairs)?

dstrawn9889

no i do not believe there is infrastructure to allow the express beam to unload there.
filename-mg-4567-jpg.jpg

NVM, it could be done, but would require removal of the queue sections to allow proper traffic flow onto/off of the train

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom