Monorail Crash in 1980?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invero

Originally posted by chellnjr
I love this thread. It has been real interesting!

Fantasia Boi: do you ever have just adults ask to ride up front? I'm a litle afraid to ask since we don't have kids.

ALL THE TIME!!!!!

Go for it!! :) You're at Disney... Im sure you're still a kid at heart, and that counts.

tigger1968

This has been a great thread! I haven't been here in a while, so this was a great welcome back, as I am a HUGE Monorail fan. I have my own little Monorail story to share... A few years ago, my wife and I were riding up front one night and had a great trip with a very friendly driver. For the life of me, I can't remember which loop we were on. We stayed on thru a stop, and as the train pulled out of the station (TTC I think) the driver let off a couple of blasts on the air horn. I had been pestering this guy with all sorts of questions, and he had been very informative, so his coolness factor shot up 200% at this point! About three seconds later, the radio crackles to life, and we hear a not very friendly woman's voice (dispatcher/supervisor?) ask if he had just sounded his horn. He calmly replied that he had. Short pause, the she calls, "Why?" Without any hesitation, the reply..."Because it's my birthday today." A full five seconds passed before she came back with a terse "O.K." The driver just gave a sly grin and we drove off into the night...

Best ride up front ever!!:sohappy: :sohappy:

Disney4648

Cool Story youve got there. I have never rode in the front on the Monorail becuase the line for the front was long and I never have time but I will ride in the front when I go back up to wdw in june!

Pioneer Hall

We get lucky with the front cab. We seem to never have to wait. But in December two out of three of the monorails on the express loop had no AC in the front. So they wouldn't let us ride and we didn't want to wait.

monorail256

Originally posted by tigger1968
This has been a great thread! I haven't been here in a while, so this was a great welcome back, as I am a HUGE Monorail fan. I have my own little Monorail story to share... A few years ago, my wife and I were riding up front one night and had a great trip with a very friendly driver. For the life of me, I can't remember which loop we were on. We stayed on thru a stop, and as the train pulled out of the station (TTC I think) the driver let off a couple of blasts on the air horn. I had been pestering this guy with all sorts of questions, and he had been very informative, so his coolness factor shot up 200% at this point! About three seconds later, the radio crackles to life, and we hear a not very friendly woman's voice (dispatcher/supervisor?) ask if he had just sounded his horn. He calmly replied that he had. Short pause, the she calls, "Why?" Without any hesitation, the reply..."Because it's my birthday today." A full five seconds passed before she came back with a terse "O.K." The driver just gave a sly grin and we drove off into the night...

Best ride up front ever!!:sohappy: :sohappy:

yeah... ive been pestering tyler quite a bit... lol but.. these things are just to cool

DisneyWorldGuru

A cool monorail story.

I was at Disney World in Augest. I sat upfront with a friend who works at WDW. He explained everything to me. Things like the monorail controll center can only tell where a train is by asking the driver the pylon number. I learned so much.

I was stuck on a train on time during a power-falure during a storm. We were sitting in the nose of the train at the time. The driver was going nuts. He said that he was a in the WDWCP and that this never happened to him before. We heard him talking to the controll center a lot. He anounced to the passengers to stay calm and not to panic. About 20 minutes later we got started again. I think the CM was more shakey than the passengers.

Also, in another post a person said that the CM's took the film from the people. I know for a fact this happens. I was filming with my video camera in an area I shouldent have been filming. A CM came up to me and asked if anything was important on the film. I told him no and he kindly asked for the film. I gave it to them and they walked back a moment later and gave me $20 in Disney Dollars and told me to buy a new tape. Even after this happened I still got pictures in places I wasent alowed to (e.g.-back of Tower of Terror and at Universal during a taping of a show for Nickloden). They dident catch me! He He!!!

I also asked my friend why they don't have monorails to other parks. He told me there are pylons out side of MGM and near Epcot but Disney does not want to put out the money at the time. He said it is because they would need more monorails that cost one million dollars each. Also he said the master paln is to connect all parts of WDW by monorail.

Also Fantasia Boi, besides being computedr driven and full size what is different about the Disneyland Tokyo monorails and the WDW monorails?

Attachments

• silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 299

Invero

Re: A cool monorail story.

Originally posted by DisneyWorldGuru
Also Fantasia Boi, besides being computedr driven and full size what is different about the Disneyland Tokyo monorails and the WDW monorails?

It's like comparing apples to oranges... Both are fruits, but are completely different.

The TDL monorails are full scale, and are Hitatchi monorails. You can walk from one end of the train to the other end. They are computer controlled, hold about 700-1000 passengers, and conform to the Japanese Monorail Standards.

DisneyWorldGuru

Re: Re: A cool monorail story.

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

It's like comparing apples to oranges... Both are fruits, but are completely different.

The TDL monorails are full scale, and are Hitatchi monorails. You can walk from one end of the train to the other end. They are computer controlled, hold about 700-1000 passengers, and conform to the Japanese Monorail Standards.

From the pictures I've seen the inside is also very different. It looks like a subway. I know it is the first full size monorail at a Disney park. I have a few pictures of it.

Attachments

• p07-1.jpg
    p07-1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 276

Invero

Re: More monorail pictures.

Originally posted by DisneyWorldGuru
Here is monorail green(lime). (from digitaldisney.com)

Yep, that's Green. :) You can tell Lime (below) because it's a highlighter color with a dark blue delta.

Attachments

• 1023_083-100.jpg
    1023_083-100.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 235

mickey04

I must say, from the pictures anyway, I like our WDW monorails better, but I've never been to TDL and have grown up with the WDW monorails, so I guess I can't judge them.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by mickey04
I must say, from the pictures anyway, I like our WDW monorails better, but I've never been to TDL and have grown up with the WDW monorails, so I guess I can't judge them.

I like that our monorails aren't like subways, but there's do look nicer. And the fact they are completely controlled by computers is really interesting.

DisneyWorldGuru

Thanks for correcting me Fantasia Boi, I wondered what color it was. Also, I feel that the TDL monorail system is a better layout, has a better stations, but they look wierder (like mickey04 said, they look wierd because we are used to the M-VI monos) , and it would put many drivers out of work (I like having a driver, cause it is fun to ask them questions and find out new information)
Here are some more pictures I had on my computer (forgive me, I am a monorail nut, and obsessed with anything that has to do with WDW)

These pictures were taken inside the shop.

Attachments

• mon5.jpg
    mon5.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 264
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom