Monorail Crash in 1980?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invero

Originally posted by OrlandoDisney
Isnt it true that some of the monorail horns can be heard from the MK to Epcot in an emergency?

Nope... Even with Lime, which has the loudest horn... the best would be about a few hundred feet away... like at Pylon 95 (between GF and MK), you could barely hear it at MK station.

Grim Grinner

Ok, this is officially driving me nuts... Does anyone know what time the monorail accident on Valentine's Day, 1974 occured? There's a chance that I was born when the two monorails collided.....

Call me strange, but then again- wierd things get stuck in my head.

Apot2788

Original Poster
Horns

Tyler is there anyway that you can record those horns and put it on the forum or send it to me?:sohappy:

YoHo

Fantasia Boi I disagree with the Idea that DL's monos are purely an attraction. while it is true that the stop is IN tomorrowland, The station at the Disneyland hotel has full turnstiles and access to the nearby DTD. In the past year I would have to say that the DL monorail IS a transportation system and is used as such by onsite guests. (you can access Tomorrowland and Fantasyland faster in the morning by taking the mono.

Craigw

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but last August when we were there, we were driving to the Contemporary to eat at CG and there was a massive storm.

As we passed the monorail, there was a train stuck, blacked out, and a ladder lent against it with firemen helping passengers down the ladder.

In view of the storm we guessed it was hit by lightning but we didn't stop to ask questions!!!

Anyone else see this??

Invero

Originally posted by Craigw
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but last August when we were there, we were driving to the Contemporary to eat at CG and there was a massive storm.

As we passed the monorail, there was a train stuck, blacked out, and a ladder lent against it with firemen helping passengers down the ladder.

In view of the storm we guessed it was hit by lightning but we didn't stop to ask questions!!!

Anyone else see this??

You sure about this? Last August we did have a train hit by lightning, and Reedy Creek did respond... however, the train was towed to the next station, and the passengers were let out there.

Craigw

May be!!!

We didn't actually see people climbing down the ladder so maybe it was just firemen or mechanics getting to the monorail to fix it.

We drove past fairly quickly so you may be right

Invero

Originally posted by Craigw
May be!!!

We didn't actually see people climbing down the ladder so maybe it was just firemen or mechanics getting to the monorail to fix it.

We drove past fairly quickly so you may be right

Reedy Creek responded because someone called into them when they thought the train was hit. Actually, it was something nearby that got hit, sparks flew, and the trains electronics got zapped. So they thought the train was on fire, when it was just smoke from whatever actually did get zapped. It might have been a utility pole, I don't really know.

One thing we did learn out of this all... and this really fried us up... once the train was in teh station, maintenance rebooted the computers... and the train was perfectly fine. They still took it back to shop anyways, just to be sure, but there was nothing actually wrong with it. It just got zapped by the close proximity of the lightning. Could have saved us a lot of trouble if we just did a reset out there on the beam.

Domboy

I've found this really interesting - and to think I just get on the thing to get to another part of the park of before I used to stay onsite - to get home :D

But some really interesting info and stuff

thanks

dom
x

tenchu

Originally posted by Domboy
I've found this really interesting - and to think I just get on the thing to get to another part of the park of before I used to stay onsite - to get home :D

thanks

dom
x

I agree, i found this thread really interesting, i even read through all 6 pages in one go.

Invero

Originally posted by Domboy

thanks

dom
x

I'm really glad that we can enlighten folks to the joys of Monorails. :) Just remember peeps... Monorails -- They're not just for theme parks anymore!

monorail256

when i was in disney world last (february 2-8) on our last day :)cry: ) they had a power control system failure or something like that and i had to ride the ferry. i hate that ferry.. i wanted to be on my monorails... but sadly i couldnt and when they did have them up and running.. it was time to go see fantasmic :cry: :cry: ill just have to wait...
ps. has anyone ever stayed on a monorail from the ttc to epcot 17 times in a row and not gotten off? i know i have.. lol :animwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom