Monorail Automation Testing

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Could be possible, but the catwalk would have to be on both sides. One side will not be enough because the emergency release handles only open one door per side. Front of the car evacuates to the left, back half evacuates to the right.

The emergency release system could be modified though so it opens all doors on a side

Progress.City

Who cares about monorails anymore now that we are getting gondolas! ;)
I still do. By the way, did you see the news that Las Vegas approved plans to expand the monorail system there? It's a small section, but at least they are actually expanding it! Construction is set to begin once an issue is solved with a water pipeline running where a the system is planned to pass.

Rob562

Could be possible, but the catwalk would have to be on both sides. One side will not be enough because the emergency release handles only open one door per side. Front of the car evacuates to the left, back half evacuates to the right.

There's also not enough clearance to have the walkway in between the dual beams. You'd have to put them on the outside, which adds cantilevered weight on the pylons to the equation.

Even if you had clearance on the dual beam sections, there are a ton of single beam sections. And from an aesthetic standpoint, it would ruin the look of the beam through Future World.

-Rob

Monorail_Red

Not to nitpick, but I'm pretty sure Mark VI models started entering service in '89.
First was in '89 and last was in '93 :)

But regardless, originally they had carpet flooring which was replaced with a laminate type flooring around 10yrs ago. The other carpeted surfaces have been replaced a few times over the years. Most recently they are the blue color with the retro D pattern. A picture I saw from the early 90's showed like a dark gray carpeting.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney had finally decided to start replacing the old monorail trains, here is the first of the new cars...

upload_2017-3-1_20-13-58.png

NeonNinja

Thats right they did it. they automated the monorails just rode them today. Seem to be working OK and I mean just OK. Wat say you. Heard anything.

Sonconato

Thats right they did it. they automated the monorails just rode them today. Seem to be working OK and I mean just OK. Wat say you. Heard anything.
We had ridden them a couple of weeks ago, when what seemed to be, when they were launching the automated system. The express train was down and rather go on the boat, we decided to take the Resort Monorail. Bad choice…it took us 40-45 minutes from the time we entered the line of about a dozen people until we arrived at the MK Station. We had waited at the Grand Floridian platform for about 15 minutes in of itself. We asked a CM and he said something to the effect of, “if the lights are red, the monorail won’t move”. It seems to start very slow and stopping is probably even slower!

Disone

Anyone know what the latest is on monorail automation?

Trains are dispatched from the platform, not unlike an attraction ride vehicle. A round trip on the resort line took me 24 minutes. This was last week. During that test which I did merely because I was bored and curious, the train twice stopped between stations to "Hold for traffic clearance". Once between the Grand and MK, and again between MK and Contemporary. Dispatch out of the Grand and out of the Contemporary seems needlessly too slow and pulling into any of the stations is an inch by inch, creepy crawl, bounce to a stop process that to me, beyond slow and frustrating. While en route to your next the stop the speed changes are very abrupt, it feels like when my grandma mother would step on the breaks just a little to hard and over and over again. I believe the speculation I have heard from monorail cast that the "automation" has been very rough on the drive systems wear and tear of the trains themselves.

I thought the automation was going to result in the train knowing how far ahead the next train in and allowing it to travel at the right speed to arrive at the next station with out gunning it only to later have to hold for traffic clearly. Instead we seem to get trains that crawl into and out the stations, sometimes reach their regular cruise speed but slowing down is now a rough and bumpy process, there is no gliding to a stop. And Hold for traffic clearances is definitely still a major thing.

msg7

Trains are dispatched from the platform, not unlike an attraction ride vehicle. A round trip on the resort line took me 24 minutes. This was last week. During that test which I did merely because I was bored and curious, the train twice stopped between stations to "Hold for traffic clearance". Once between the Grand and MK, and again between MK and Contemporary. Dispatch out of the Grand and out of the Contemporary seems needlessly too slow and pulling into any of the stations is an inch by inch, creepy crawl, bounce to a stop process that to me, beyond slow and frustrating. While en route to your next the stop the speed changes are very abrupt, it feels like when my grandma mother would step on the breaks just a little to hard and over and over again. I believe the speculation I have heard from monorail cast that the "automation" has been very rough on the drive systems wear and tear of the trains themselves.

I thought the automation was going to result in the train knowing how far ahead the next train in and allowing it to travel at the right speed to arrive at the next station with out gunning it only to later have to hold for traffic clearly. Instead we seem to get trains that crawl into and out the stations, sometimes reach their regular cruise speed but slowing down is now a rough and bumpy process, there is no gliding to a stop. And Hold for traffic clearances is definitely still a major thing.
You hit it on the head right there...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom