Monopods possibly banned under the no selfie-stick rule

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
This past weekend I ran into a problem taking a monopod into Epcot.

Security decided that monopods are essentially the same as selfie sticks, and should not be allowed in. The deliberation between several security CMs went on for about 15 minutes. Ultimately, guest relations allowed it in based on it having 3 small feet at the bottom, which they said then made it a tripod, which was acceptable. I believe that without the 3 extendable support feet, the monopod would not have been allowed in.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?

DisneyFans4Life

I haven't experienced it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see any kind of "pod" for photography banned at some point. I have a small table tripod that is about 5" or so that gets used a bit, but I've never needed a tripod. We're usually with friends that can snap a pic, or if we're alone, I'll just ask a passer-by.

Jahona

I mean by definition a monopod kinda fits the bill as a selfie stick. I would probably die laughing seeing someone try to use one as a selfie stick though.

afb28

I haven't experienced it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see any kind of "pod" for photography banned at some point. I have a small table tripod that is about 5" or so that gets used a bit, but I've never needed a tripod. We're usually with friends that can snap a pic, or if we're alone, I'll just ask a passer-by.
The 'need' for tripods really only comes into play for fireworks and long exposures. They outright banned them in disneyland and that didn't go over well and they lifted it after a few months. The main thing with the disney photography community is that it basically ends up being free advertising for them so it's not really something that they want to get rid of.

I would be interested in why OP needed a monopod though for the parks. Not sure why you wouldn't just have a tripod at that point.

DisneyFans4Life

The 'need' for tripods really only comes into play for fireworks and long exposures. They outright banned them in disneyland and that didn't go over well and they lifted it after a few months. The main thing with the disney photography community is that it basically ends up being free advertising for them so it's not really something that they want to get rid of.

I would be interested in why OP needed a monopod though for the parks. Not sure why you wouldn't just have a tripod at that point.
Maybe he has a huge lens lol.

afb28

It may sound a really daft question but is a monopod I have never heard of one
basically just a center column of a tripod, just one leg with a head on it

DIY-Modified-Cheesycam-Video-Monopods-Fluid-Foot-Base-Tripod-Monopod-Feet.jpg

NowInc

Most travel tripods have the ability to turn into Monopods, and security knows that as well.

My question is, when stopped with the monopod, what was attached at the other end? A gopro/cellphone? From what I have been told a few times, its a case by case basis on certain items and their perceived intent. If they feel it will be used in a selfie stick fashion, they won't let it in.

habuma

I mean by definition a monopod kinda fits the bill as a selfie stick. I would probably die laughing seeing someone try to use one as a selfie stick though.

There's a very basic difference: A typical selfie stick has some mechanism for triggering the shutter on the device at the other end. Monopods do not. Short of using a remote trigger, there's no way that I can use my monopod as a selfie stick.

Monopods, by design, are expected to be used in close proximity of the photographer, generally not invading the space of anyone else. It's difficult (albeit, not impossible) to use a monopod in any other way.

Tripods, by design, are expected to be used in reasonably close proximity of the photographer, but may in a small way invade the space of others. It's difficult to use a tripod in any other way.

Selfie-sticks, by design, are expected to be used outstretched in front of the photographer, likely invading the space of other people. There's little value in using a selfie-stick in any other way.

Monopods, when used properly, should not bother anyone except for the family members of those using them (because they keep stopping for photos). Tripods, when used properly might cause trouble for others, but respectful users will keep them put away if the crowds are too heavy and there's not enough room to use them. Selfie-sticks, when used properly, will likely bother everyone except for those using them and can possibly be a safety concern.

It's clear that one of these is not like the other. Disney banning monopods is overreach at most, and just a lazy interpretation of the rules at least. If this becomes a problem, those of us who respectfully use monopods and tripods should make their concerns known to Disney for proper application of the rules. (May not do any good, but we shouldn't let it go without voicing the concern.)

Jahona

There's a very basic difference: A typical selfie stick has some mechanism for triggering the shutter on the device at the other end. Monopods do not. Short of using a remote trigger, there's no way that I can use my monopod as a selfie stick.

Not to bring up an argument but you are talking extra features. Not all selfie sticks have the ability to remotely activate the shutter. The cheaper ones are just a stick and the more expensive ones might use Bluetooth for wireless remote shutter. From the signs placed at the gates of WDW, their definition of a selfie stick is any extendable poles for handheld cameras and cellphones. A monopod is an extendable pole for a handheld camera.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2015/07/s-800x400.jpg

Now I will agree with you that banning monopods is overreacting. As you said a monopod will be kept close to the photographer and not held out away from the body.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom