Mono or Mini?

CalDisney

Original Poster
I have been hearing From My Girlfriend That Our MonoRail
is More like a Mini Rail.
Is this True??
She Says That the MonoRails in Fl. are 10 times Wider and Longer Then Ours out Here:(

Who Agrees?:confused: :brick:

DLMAGICDARREN

It's true in the Disneyland ones, you can't stand up, and there are only doors on one side.

But Disneyland uses a monorial as more of an attraction, then transportation. With only one monorial line, and two stops, Tomorrowland, and Downtown Disney.

Meanwhile WDW has three lines. You stand up (if seats fill up), and you exit and enter from opposite sides of the monorail.

The resort monorail, makes stops at all three Magic Kingdom resorts, The Contempory, The Grand Floridian, and the Polynesian, as well as the TTC (Ticket and transportation center), and the Magic Kingdom.

THe express monorail, travels right next to the resort monorail, but in the opposite direction, and is used for direct transportation from TTC to Magic Kingdom. It passes through all three roesort hotels, but does not stop.

The Epcot Monorail, travels directly from TTC to Epcot.

The monorails eliminate the need for bus transporation from Magic Kingdom to Epcot. Also every guest leaving Magic Kingdom, that is not staying on property, must use a monorail to get back to the TTC, so WDW has much more of a need to efficiently maximize capacity on the monorails.

At Disneyland, although it's fun to ride to Downtown Disney, to exit the park at night, if you are in the parking structure, the monorail stop drops you pretty far from the tram stop, so it's really easy to skip the monorail at Disneyland, unless you simply want to ride for the fun of it.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by DLMAGICDARREN
But Disneyland uses a monorial as more of an attraction, then transportation. With only one monorial line, and two stops, Tomorrowland, and Downtown Disney.

I've frequently complained about that very fact to a friend of mine at Imagineering (as if he can do anything about it). But he has told me the exact same thing you've stated, Darren...That the DL version is intended primarily as an attraction. That's too bad though. I think guests are sophisticated enough nowadays that it is more impressive as an actual transportation system than it is as an attraction. I would love it if they would have it stop at each of the hotels, the two parks and the parking garage.

Of course, by the same token, I've always thought Epcot should have a PeopleMover (one that would continuously move, but the doors would open at each attraction, shop and restaurant. Again, that would make it more like the "real thing" than simply an attraction.

DLMAGICDARREN

Originally posted by Merlin

I've frequently complained about that very fact to a friend of mine at Imagineering (as if he can do anything about it). But he has told me the exact same thing you've stated, Darren...That the DL version is intended primarily as an attraction. That's too bad though. I think guests are sophisticated enough nowadays that it is more impressive as an actual transportation system than it is as an attraction. I would love it if they would have it stop at each of the hotels, the two parks and the parking garage.

Of course, by the same token, I've always thought Epcot should have a PeopleMover (one that would continuously move, but the doors would open at each attraction, shop and restaurant. Again, that would make it more like the "real thing" than simply an attraction.

I honestly don't understand why it seems to be thought, why the monorail in Disneyland as an attraction, and not transportation is a bad thing.

Transportation, as I said in previous posts would be quite silly, to add station after station, just because it would "qualify" it for transportation, instead of the attraction Walt intended it to be.

RobFL

Account Suspended
When did Walt intend it to be an attraction? I thought it was the future of Transportation. He liked trains.. they're transportation..

At WDW, they are TRANSPORTATION and anyone who knows better gets really miffed when you suggest otherwise. Because it means yet another headache comming your way...

At MK, its not a problem, at Epcot, it goes through the middle of the park and people want to know.. "Where do i get on that ride?" and having to explain its outside the park, doesn't go through the park without going to the TTC first (a long ride and wait at the TTC) and all gets fustrating.

You can ride it for enjoyment, but its not a ride.. there is no big show.. no scenes.. please don't come back and complain because you ended up 15mins from where you wanted to be becuase you got off at the wrong station.

-Rob

DLMAGICDARREN

Originally posted by RobFL
When did Walt intend it to be an attraction? I thought it was the future of Transportation. He liked trains.. they're transportation..

-Rob

1959, is the year Walt added it as an attraction, and not a tranportation service.

Merlin

Account Suspended
In 1959 it was perfectly appropriate as an attraction because it was showcasing a transportation system of the future. But monorails aren't futuristic anymore. That's why I think it works better nowadays as an actual transportation system. I wouldn't consider the monorail "entertainment", but it is still a sleek design and a cool way to get around.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I got to ride the DL monorail on one of the last days before they re-did it for DCA. The track went over the construction for DCA :)

Pretty cool to see it like that :)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Re: Bigger is not always better.

Originally posted by Talsonic
Gosh, the monorail at Tokyo Disney is full size.

yeah, but the Japanese are also accustomed to some of the best rail systems in the world.. so when their monorail was being designed, it was designed to compete w/ Japanese Public Transportation. That's a helluva lot higher standard than Amtrak, or the NY Subway.. or any other rail system in the US

DLMAGICDARREN

Tokyo also only recently added a monorail. Since they were a one park resort until last September, they also did not have the transportation issues, until they opened up TDS!

jmarc63

Re: Bigger is not always better.

Originally posted by Talsonic
Gosh, the monorail at Tokyo Disney is full size.

The Monorail at TDL is from a different manufacture , and the Tokyo train was designed to resemble there mass transit trains which use a higer standard. The ones at WDW and DL/DCA, there from Bombadeir and are the same ones they are planning for Vegas

jaylenofan86

The Monorail at TDL is from a different manufacture , and the Tokyo train was designed to resemble there mass transit trains which use a higer standard. The ones at WDW and DL/DCA, there from Bombadeir and are the same ones they are planning for Vegas
DL's are Alweg.

jmarc63

Originally posted by CalDisney
Does anyone have a Picture of the Tokyo
Monorail??

Here ya go

Attachments

• tdlix_pic02.jpg
    tdlix_pic02.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 60

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom