MNSSHP worth it with small children??

EJS84

Original Poster
Hi! We are already starting to plan our 2017 trip and are debating between May or September - We've gone in May before and loved it, but we really wanted to go to MNSSHP with our kids who will be just turned 7,5, and one who is just shy of 3 at that time next year - my question is, is MNSSHP worth it for these ages? I think so but then I read a bunch of reviews online that said parents with small kids were miserable there...We went last year when our kids were under 1, 2, 4 and had the best time even though people said we wouldn't so I'm thinking this could be the same for next year. I am looking for thoughts and opinions for this age range...will they make it? will they have fun? will we have fun? are the lines really shorter? will we be able to see the parades, etc? I read also that the crowds which are suppose to be light really aren't and lines for candy were outrageous (not that getting candy would be our main focus)

I personally think taking my kids at these ages will be very fun for them but I could totally be wrong here?!?

Last edited:

DisneyFans4Life

You and your kids will have a blast and they are the perfect age for the party. They will get to dress up, meet characters, see a special parade and stage show and best of all...go trick or treating in the park!

We went last year with an 18 month old and even she loved it. We're going again this year too.

TDGMedley

I posted on this and all but one person said we would have a great time. We are going this year for the first and my kids a almost 3 and 18 months. We are looking forward to it. Something new we have never seen before.

RememberWhen

We're taking our 4 year old this September. We won't focus on candy, but will ride some rides, watch the parade and the fireworks. He will get some candy, and maybe see some characters. We love Halloween, so we're all pretty excited.

DrummerAlly

Hi! We are already starting to plan our 2017 trip and are debating between May or September - We've gone in May before and loved it, but we really wanted to go to MNSSHP with our kids who will be just turned 7,5, and one who is just shy of 3 at that time next year - my question is, is MNSSHP worth it for these ages? I think so but then I read a bunch of reviews online that said parents with small kids were miserable there...We went last year when our kids were under 1, 2, 4 and had the best time even though people said we wouldn't so I'm thinking this could be the same for next year. I am looking for thoughts and opinions for this age range...will they make it? will they have fun? will we have fun? are the lines really shorter? will we be able to see the parades, etc? I read also that the crowds which are suppose to be light really aren't and lines for candy were outrageous (not that getting candy would be our main focus)

I personally think taking my kids at these ages will be very fun for them but I could totally be wrong here?!?

People like you give me hope in the world.

My kids are almost 4 and 22 months and I'm petrified of our trip in September. We are going with 3 adults and the 2 kids and I'm shooting for a few happy hours in the park each day with anything short of cataclysmic as being defined as success. Personally, kids are too unpredictable to try a party that late at that high of a relative cost, but that's me and my kids. If you think your kids are up to it, go for it!

EJS84

Original Poster
People like you give me hope in the world.

My kids are almost 4 and 22 months and I'm petrified of our trip in September. We are going with 3 adults and the 2 kids and I'm shooting for a few happy hours in the park each day with anything short of cataclysmic as being defined as success. Personally, kids are too unpredictable to try a party that late at that high of a relative cost, but that's me and my kids. If you think your kids are up to it, go for it!
Oh you will have a great time!! When we went last year so many people said we were nuts (it was just the hubby and I and our 3 very small children) and we had the BEST time ever. We knew when the kids were at their limits and made sure not to push things - if you follow that you'll do just fine :) Thanks for your input!

EJS84

Original Poster
We're taking our 4 year old this September. We won't focus on candy, but will ride some rides, watch the parade and the fireworks. He will get some candy, and maybe see some characters. We love Halloween, so we're all pretty excited.
We love Halloween too so that's why I so want to go! I think we're doing it! :)

EJS84

Original Poster
I posted on this and all but one person said we would have a great time. We are going this year for the first and my kids a almost 3 and 18 months. We are looking forward to it. Something new we have never seen before.
That's where we are at - something new and something we've wanted to see so we'll probably go then! Thanks for the reply!

EJS84

Original Poster
You and your kids will have a blast and they are the perfect age for the party. They will get to dress up, meet characters, see a special parade and stage show and best of all...go trick or treating in the park!

We went last year with an 18 month old and even she loved it. We're going again this year too.
Thank you for the reassurance! Yay for going this year! I'm jealous :)

WDWDreamer4

We have done MNSSHP multiple times. Our children are 6, 4, and 23 months. So obviously they have been young when we have done it. My only suggestion is that you spend the beginning of the day relaxing, pool, Disney Springs. Not going to another park. Try to get them to take an early nap so you can be at the park at 4 PM when your party tickets will allow you to enter. This way they are ready to make it most of the night. Make sure you have a plan if they fall asleep. Two years ago my daughter (3 at the time) fell asleep right at the beginning of the night. Then she woke up around 9 and was up for the remainder of the night, we only stayed till 10:30 after Hallowishes that night. But my son (5 at that time) fell asleep later because he didn't take a nap. So he missed the parade and the fireworks. So if they fall asleep will that ruin your night? or can you go with the flow and let them sleep in the stroller?
We had a blast every time we have gone and will be going again this year. I love the parade and the fireworks! Have fun and go with the flow. It will be a blast!

EJS84

Original Poster
We have done MNSSHP multiple times. Our children are 6, 4, and 23 months. So obviously they have been young when we have done it. My only suggestion is that you spend the beginning of the day relaxing, pool, Disney Springs. Not going to another park. Try to get them to take an early nap so you can be at the park at 4 PM when your party tickets will allow you to enter. This way they are ready to make it most of the night. Make sure you have a plan if they fall asleep. Two years ago my daughter (3 at the time) fell asleep right at the beginning of the night. Then she woke up around 9 and was up for the remainder of the night, we only stayed till 10:30 after Hallowishes that night. But my son (5 at that time) fell asleep later because he didn't take a nap. So he missed the parade and the fireworks. So if they fall asleep will that ruin your night? or can you go with the flow and let them sleep in the stroller?
We had a blast every time we have gone and will be going again this year. I love the parade and the fireworks! Have fun and go with the flow. It will be a blast!

Thank you for your reply! Oh we will not mind at all if they fall asleep, we will just go with it! I've been hearing that alot, to not go to another park in the morning so we wouldn't. I think we will go for it next year, I cannot wait!

21stamps

Thank you for your reply! Oh we will not mind at all if they fall asleep, we will just go with it! I've been hearing that alot, to not go to another park in the morning so we wouldn't. I think we will go for it next year, I cannot wait!
We did an EMH night last year (after spending the morning in the parks and a mid day swim break) when my son was 5. Stayed til midnight. He fell asleep in the stroller once, but when woke up said he didn't want to leave. So we stayed and had a great time. We have tickets to MVMCP this year, and my plan is to skip parks during the daytime as other people have said. We have a pirate adventure cruise scheduled that morning- you may want to look into for your kids, and then spend time relaxing before the park.

Have a wonderful time!!!

thomas998

The 7 and 5 year old will enjoy it... The 3 year old not so much. Reality is the party is going to be at night so a 3 year old is likely to be cranky and not having that much fun as the night wears on.

IF you do decide to go then I would have few suggestions... 1) don't take the 3 year old to the party, either use a sitter to watch her while everyone else goes or one parent take stays back with her and the other 2 kids go with the other parent, then those going will have more fun. 2) If you insist on taking the 3 year old then don't go to park prior to the party, insure that the 3 year old is well rested so she wont tire out by 8:00 in the evening and become cranky. 3) If you take the 3 year old don't expect her to enjoy the show at the castle, everytime we go there I see kids in stroller that can't see anything except someone's butt because they are too low to the ground to see when in a see of standing room only people... So when they get cranky during the show, you'll know why - no one would want to be stuck in a chair looking at a strangers backside.

Lastly we have gone to the MNSSHP for years and the one thing I notice is that the areas that are most popular with the little kids tend to see the crowds seriously starting to thin out by 10:00pm... It kind of tells me that while lots of people taking little kids might think its a great time, they aren't staying the full night so factor in whether you'll be one of those families that leaves early and if think you will leave early consider the cost per hour.... The tickets to the party aren't cheap and we only justify them now by planning on being at those parties until closing time and mostly go because the lines for rides are shorter than usual.

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
We are planning to go this September, to the MNSSHP, with our 4 yo and 1.5 yo. When my older one was about 1.5 himself, hubby and I took him to the MNSSHP too, as we were in Orlando for a business trip (why not take advantage of WDW if staying on Disney property for business ?!). We may have overwhelmed him, as we spent the entire day at the parks, and then dinner, and then dragged him to the event. But, I think his cranky behavior was our fault-we show have had a break in the day before going out. Then, when the older on was about 2.5 (I was preggers with my younger son), we went to the Christmas party, and my son loved it! He loved the dancing, partying, etc. and didn't want to leave! But, we certainly made sure he had a break/nap during the day so he had energy for the evening party. So with our previous experience, we are going to try to make it work for our younger son, but if it looks like he is cranky/tired, I won't make the same mistake I did before; I'll just take him back to the hotel and the rest of the gang can stay late. The kids are one reason that we stay at a monorail resort-in case I need to get back in a jiffy.

It's all dependent on your kids, at the end of the day-you know your kids' behaviors, habits, etc., and work with that. I would suggest trying to maintain their normal schedule as much as possible (like naps, meal times, etc.) as best as possible. Of course, staying out late probably isn't the norm for your kids, but I think with adequate rest and food during the day, they should be okay for a little late night treat. I think your older ones are perfect age-wise, and you may have to just play it by ear for the younger one.

dreamfinder

You know your kids. I know my 20mo DS will go, go, go, then become very cranky and pass out in the stroller at 9 if we stay out that late. Trying to push him past that would be miserable for almost everyone involved. So no way I would justify paying party prices for 2 hours of party. But if your kids would handle staying up later on much better, then go for it. But think realistically about it. Odds are the party will be held for years to come, so it's not a now or never type situation.

sublimesting

When our daughter was 2 she LOVED the fireworks! When she was 3 she was scared of the fireworks. When she was 5 she loved them again. So ya never know about that. However the parade is so top notch EVERYONE loves that! The ambience is totally worth it as well. I would skip the trick or treating as it really wastes time standing in line for a few pieces of candy. We just bring along our own candy for her and buy some extra treats as well. No sense wasting ride time standing in a candy line. Definitely go though! One note: Even though it's cheaper buy tickets the night of and not before. I've seen plenty of MNSSHP washed out by rain yet the show goes on. We thought "Oh man, so glad we didn't pre-buy tix, this would have been our night to go!"

MagicalMommy

I have personally taken my 5 and 1.5 year old to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, which is similar to MNSSHP for the purposes of your question. It's important to take it easy in the morning and get a good nap on party days, but my two were just fine and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves -- all of us! We did leave after the fireworks, but I felt like we got our "money's worth." I didn't find the attraction lines to be significantly shorter, but we did try to meet some of the rarer characters instead. The parade was the highlight for us. That said, May and September are both great times of year to consider for weather and crowds!

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

They are the perfect age for the MNSSHP! I recommend not doing another park that day. Make that a resort day, maybe a character breakfast or something like that but take it easy all day. Then go in at 4 pm, making fast passes from 4 pm to 7 pm for you must do rides. Then, enjoy the party! The lines for the rides can be a bit shorter since many stand in line to participate in other events going on but the most popular rides will still have lines. Also, avoid a weekend party date if you can to help cut down on the crowds. If you need any help with the planning process, let me know and I am happy to help! We will be taking our 2 year old to the party for the first time this October!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom