1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

MLB 2017 Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Dead2009, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

^That was one of those moments where I posted something without first considering how painfully ridiculous it sounded.

NYwdwfan and Lucky like this.
  2. Lucky

Lucky Well-Known Member

Just put quote marks around it and attribute it to a famous dead person.

NYwdwfan and Batman like this.
  3. NYwdwfan

NYwdwfan Well-Known Member

I wasn't surprised - he's been awful this year since returning from suspension. At least we have Addison Reed to close - and he's been killing it - but now middle relief gets even more taxed. It's shocking to me we're not 15 games out.

Batman and Lucky like this.
  4. NYwdwfan

Although the back page of today's NY Post did make me chuckle.

may-12-back-cover.jpg

5. Lucky

Lucky Well-Known Member

Phils' manager Pete Mackanin signed a contract extension. So he'll be with them in 2019 after they've signed baseball's first billion dollar free agent, Harper Machado.

Batman and NYwdwfan like this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That moment you realize your team is 13-20...but only 2 games outta 2nd place. o_O

Lucky likes this.
  7. Lucky

Lucky Well-Known Member

Twins overcome a 4 minute squirrel delay in Cleveland to beat the Indians 4-1.

Batman and NYwdwfan like this.
  8. NYwdwfan

The moment you realize your team just has normal starting pitching and your middle relief stinks.:bored:

9. fox_198

fox_198 Well-Known Member

That moment when you realize your team is in third to last in the NL, but is still better than San Francisco

Batman likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Big day today for Derek Jeter, as the Yankees will retire his jersey number... the last single-digit jersey number to be retired by the team. Pretty historic. Ceremonies going on between double-header against the 'Stros at Yankee Stadium currently.

fox_198, NYwdwfan and Lucky like this.
  11. NYwdwfan

Yeah they're going to need extra security to check the bathroom stalls after that first game.

Lucky and Batman like this.
  12. Lucky

Lucky Well-Known Member

Because #2 is no longer allowed? :confused:

NYwdwfan, Nemo14 and Batman like this.
  13. Nemo14

Nemo14 Well-Known Member

upload_2017-5-14_17-53-28.jpeg

Batman, NYwdwfan and Lucky like this.
  14. NYwdwfan

:rolleyes:

I had heard it was a split ticket double header - first game was rainout tix from yesterday then clear it out and Jeter game tix allowed in but they just said on the broadcast it was a single game ticket double header.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  15. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In case you missed it, here are a few seconds from Jeter's memorable night. (Don't worry, I'll get back to hating on the Yankees again tomorrow).

And his plaque for Monument Park:
    [​IMG]

Lucky and NYwdwfan like this.
  16. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I took advantage of some beautiful weather and decided to go to a Minor League ballgame tonight (5/15/17). Figured why not share some pics and a TR of the game. This was at Smokies Stadium where the Tennessee Smokies (AA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) were taking on the visiting Montgomery Biscuits (AA affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Even though my seat was over on the first base side, I altered my position for the first couple of innings due to the glaring sun hitting head-on where I would be sitting, practically blinding out the view. So I hung out in the standing area on the third base side for a little while and waited for the sun to go down just a tad. The crowd level was pretty mild since it was on a Monday, and school night for many.
    [​IMG]

The Biscuits came to town swinging, and pitcher Preston Morrison of the Smokies got into a jam (see what I did there? Biscuits...jam...okay, moving along) pretty early in the game.
    [​IMG]

But the Smokies' offense made some early waves as well. Here's a shot of Cael Brockmeyer rounding the bases after hitting the only home run of the game, and sadly, one of Tennessee's very few strong plays tonight.
    [​IMG]

As this being the home field of a AA affiliate of the reigning World Champions... needless to say there was no shortage of celebratory Chicago Cubs displays, merchandise, and decorations throughout the ballpark. More on that later, but here's a shot at an outfield wall display behind left field honoring the Cub's historic achievement.
    [​IMG]

To be continued...

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Lucky, NYwdwfan and Nemo14 like this.
  17. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Soon enough, the sun went from blinding into hiding, and I moved on over to my spot overlooking first base. It was a beautiful evening for a game.
    [​IMG]

Homer, one of the Smokies' mascots, was out & about entertaining the fans.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You know who David Bowie was, right? Well this guy batting is his secret twin, David Bote. (Pronounced: David Boat-ee) Bote was dancing in the street...er, um...back to the dugout, because unlike Bowie, Bote was unable to make a smash hit, or a single of any kind. (Okay, no more rock star puns.)
    [​IMG]

Out overlooking right field, you can still see the 'Star Wars' logo in the grass seating from Star Wars Night held this past Saturday (5/13). [​IMG]

During the bottom of the 5th inning, I decided to take a stroll around the entire field, and watch the game from different views around the outfield. The casual stroll began by going under this thing...
    [​IMG]
    ...and stopping to watch for a few minutes near the Star Wars logo in the grass outfield seating. I really enjoy this nice, simple ballpark.
    [​IMG]
    ...tried to use zoom and take a decent shot from center field of the action, but I blurred it. :oops:
    [​IMG]
    And around the outfield, back toward home plate.
    [​IMG]

To be continued...

18. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Tonight was also $1 hot dog night, and thanks to a condiment dispenser that must've been clogged or running low and decided to hold back, then blast out all of it's product at once, I ended up getting $3 worth of mustard.
    [​IMG]

Cubbie goodness all throughout this ballpark. I'm not a Cubs fan myself, but they're not a team I despise either. Being a Braves fan all my life, and growing up with Skip Caray as our main announcer, and his father Harry being such an icon for Chicago, I suppose our two teams have what you call a "Respectful / Friendly Rivalry" due to the Caray influence between the two. We both got to share the greatness of Greg Maddux too. :cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Who's on first? It's @NYwdwfan 's favorite all-time professional athlete in the world. The true champion among champions who.... wait a sec...
    Oops. That says "Ely", not "Eli". My mistake, sorry.
    [​IMG]

And with a mild breeze and not a single cloud in the sky...you couldn't ask for a better night for baseball.
    [​IMG]

Despite the Smokies starting to form a bottom of the 9th rally (which resulted in one more run scored before falling flat), they ended up getting baked & buttered by the Biscuits; losing 7-3.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Last but not least, I took a gander at the offerings inside the gift shop before leaving the stadium. Lot's 'o Cubs World Series stuff to look at. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mural above the center of the gift shop showing some of the Smokies' players who made it up to the big leagues.
    [​IMG]

Sign outside the stadium exit showing distances from here to the other Cubs' affiliates across the country...in case anyone was wondering or happened to need directions.
    [​IMG]

And so ends the ballgame report from tonight. Hopefully I didn't bore you all. Great night at Smokies Stadium with great weather.

And biscuits.

NYwdwfan and Nemo14 like this.
  20. Nemo14

Nemo14 Well-Known Member

I love going to minor league games - it's more like what baseball used to be like to me (although Fenway still is my favorite)

Batman, Lucky and NYwdwfan like this.