MKT'S Mission: Space Trip Report

WDWFREAK53

first post...just say how much you enjoyed it...then follow up with the spoilers in the next few posts...

(That way we can get your reaction...if that's all we want :) )

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Alright. I'm back.

I rode it 4 times.

All I can say is WOW.

The queue is lovely... it really is. The pre-show is somewhat emotional (in that it caters to your emotions), and I did truly enjoy it. Gary Sinise is amazing in his performance as Capcom. The ride wasn't fully operational. WDI has only turned over 2 of the 4 centrifuges to Epcot Operations.

Now for the ride.

I rode it 4 times.

The first time I was OK.

The second time I was a little dizzy

The third time I was a little nauseous

The fourth time I was ready to puke (still haven't though... but my stomach really hurts)

I spoke with some Ops CM's, and they say regular cast previews begin next week, and some POSSIBLE guest testing starting in the next 2-3 weeks.

NOW FOR THE SPOILERS

alright...

The premise is that you are on a training mission to mars. You get grouped like ToT, with the numbers. You watch the preshow with Gary Sinise, and he explains the premise behind the X2 shuttles. Then you wait for a few minutes, and go to your numbers loading area. Once there, Sinise pops up on a TV screen and explains the positions of each member in the group. You are assigned positions and wait to board.

Once you board, the vehicle is IDENTICAL to the one that was leaked out.

From there, Sinise explains your duties and whatnot.

Then it begins. You lift off and the rest is hard to explain. I just have to say that it is BAD@SS!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are going through space. The ride vehicle moves, you go weightless, you weigh more. Those are REAL G's you are experiencing... not a simulator.

Finally, you land on Mars and the ride itself is over. Then on to the post-show. There's a few interactive games and simulations, as well as kiosks to send E-Postcards. (Here's the one I sent to WDWFreak53 )

Finally, there's the gift shop... I was right though. Some of the merchandise I saw on Ebay is fake.... The merchandise selection is pretty good.. I bought a T-Shirt. AND YOU CAN BUY FREEZE-DRIED ICE CREAM!!!!!

I'll post more once I settle down and can digest some food.

I'll answer questions too.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for the info Rob!!

So how does it rank in the top Orlando ride category?

Do you think a lot of people are going to find it too intense?

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'd rank it #1 in Orlando... flat out. #1 in the East Coast.

the ONLY GRIPE (and it's so insignificant, I don't even know why I bother worrying about it) I have with Mission: Space.... IT'S SHORT!!!! It's friggin short. However, I can understand if it were longer, a LOT of people would be getting sick

btw- Steve.. you get the e-Postcard I sent you?

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
alright. My stomach has settle a bit (thank you god for white bread and ginger ale).

Alright...

again I say

SPOILERS AHOY!!!

There are 2 Hidden Mickeys I noticed. 1 in the attraction, 1 in the shop. In the ride vehicle, look at the window in front of you just after it lowers. In the middle left and right, there should be 3 bolts in a mickey shape. In the shop, just above the Mickey statue, there is a Mickey galaxy on the ceiling.

Capacity is 160... right now, they have it up to 80.

The inside queue is COLD. COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD. Freezing COLD! Nice change in the summer though.

NOW FOR THE REALLY REALLY BIG SPOILERS

the ride itself.

You take off, and head into space. You orbit the moon for a second, and then shoot off and go into Hypersleep. You awake from Hypersleep to find a meteor shower around you. The autopilot maneuvers you around it, while the Shields are activated. Once you clear, you are almost in Mars. You can see Mars ahead of you. The navigator turns on the Descent engines, and you shoot forward to mars. Then the guests take control, and with Capcom's help, you steer through a Martian Canyon, and finally land the X2. However, you overshoot your landing, and nearly fall down a Canyon.

Then the ride is over, and on to the post show. There is a fairly big game on the right. Almost like a Space version of Diamonds. Immediatly on the left is the childrens play area, followed by a Mars Rescuer sort of game (kinda fun though), and Finally the postcard kiosk.

Then the gift shop. It has the required T-Shirts, License Plates, Pins, and stuff. It also has Model X2's and (like I said before) Freeze Dried Ice Cream (Vanilla, Chocolate, and Mint Chocolate Chip were the ones I remember. I think there was also a Fudge somewhere)

dxwwf3

Thanks for the info MKT!

I do just have a couple of questions. Does the ride feel Rock N Roller coaster short or more like Test Track short? (RNRC short for me is feels like 1 min and TT short is feels like 3 or 4 min). Also how "thrilling" is the ride? Again is it more like Spiderman and Test Track or is it more thrilling than that? I hope you understand the questions I wasnt very clear :)

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
like a longer RnRC short- it's 4 mins long, but it seems shorter. As for the thrills, the best way to describe it is Spiderman married to RnRC in Cyberspace Mountain

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
oh yeah.. this is coming back to me gradually...

the 4 positions are Navigator, Pilot, Commander, Engineer. Doing your "job" on the ride doesn't detract from it at all... in fact it ads to the realism of it.

I'm posting more as it comes back to me.

ps- I still haven't puked

dxwwf3

Thanks. Well that brings me to one last question. My dad has no trouble with RNRC and TOT and Test Track and etc... But he does get motion sickness sort of easily (Star Tours is fine but Body Wars is most of the time a no go). Do you think he will be able to ride this without TOO much trouble? Again thanks for the help.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
I have the same problem with motion simulators, and I had no trouble with Mission: Space the first time. I'm thinking that if I had spaced my rides out, rather than 4 times in 90 minutes, I wouldn't feel as sick as I do now. In fact, I waited almost 30 minutes between the first 2 times, and I had no trouble the second time.

CTXRover

Thanks for the great info!! :D Wow! It sounds amazing. I was a little worried when you said it was short, but 4 minutes is a very good length for a "thrill" ride, and it is actually around where I thought (3-5 minutes). Also, don't forget, the whole preshow part is part of the "ride experience".

I'm glad to hear you haven't puked :lol: Luckily, most people will only get to ride once a day or maybe twice if lines aren't too bad, so hopefully nobody (or at worst only few people) will ever get sick :)

One question I have, how do you board the capsules? Do you see the ride system (in that there are 10 capsules attached to a centrifuge) or is it pretty much hidden?

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
you are grouped in a room with 40 guests (#s 1-10, 4 people on each number). This is done ToT style.

After the mission briefing, you enter a circular hallway (the centrifuge is in the middle) with rows of 4 numbers (4 1's, 4 2's, 4 3's, etc) and you go to your number (Again, ToT style). You're next to another group (1-10, 2-9, 3-8, 4-7, 5-6... 1 on the left, the other on the right, with a door in the middle), and you are assigned positions. From there you enter a door, there are 2 pods, one on each side. You can see part of the centrifuge (the middle) if you look ahead. You then board the appropriate Pod for your number (again, left or right), you sit down, put your items away in the bins, and put on your safety harness. The controls then lower and the ride sequence starts

Testtrack321

Man, that video is hilarious MKT! We should just have a thread to links of people's videos!

Anyway, since you feel queezy after most motionsimulators, does that mean if you don't feel queezy (like me), will you be able to ride it multipul times?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom