MK Expansion

Seano846

Original Poster
I've heard several rumors that Disney was planning to expand the Magic Kingdom.(a thrill ride area to compete with I.O.A) does anyone think that this is a good idea? Or should Disney leave the MK alone? I say leave it alone it is perfect the way it is.

Debbie

If Magic Kingdom is left alone, I just wish the crowd could be dispersed better. It gets too crowded at certain times and it is hard to enjoy. If it would be expanded, I would hope it would be designed by a creative genius. In the meantime, I hope something is done with the deadspace of 20,000 Leagues.

WDW-Imagineer

I don't think anything is wrong with MK, thrill ride or crowd wise. What Disney should really worry about is the crowd problems in AK - especially the road between Asia & Africa.

I have never really witnessed a crowd problem with MK. Then again I go in early Dec. the least crowded time of the year to go :)

markymark

I would like them to update SM, but aside from that I agree MK should stay as it is. I think it would be an idea to put a new coaster in AK, or as Spocky says, create a coaster park on its own to compete with IOA.

Brett

I think this a bad idea. Disney is not about Thrill Rides, but the overall mystique of every ride. Making a land full of thrill rides isn't gonna make MK any better. Individual thrill rides in the lands (like Space Mountain/Splash Mountain) work better.

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by Brett
I think this a bad idea. Disney is not about Thrill Rides, but the overall mystique of every ride. Making a land full of thrill rides isn't gonna make MK any better. Individual thrill rides in the lands (like Space Mountain/Splash Mountain) work better.

Yeah really, if Disney made a land with just thrill rides, they might as well call it "Crowdedland - Expect to wait 2 hours or more to ride anything".

jay_london

MK is the jewel in the disney crown, it needs to preserved and enhanced, not changed beyond recognition to make it compete against a thrill park. MK is esentially a family park not a thrill ride park. There maybe a case for another park, maybe based around or featuring a higher ratio of thrill rides but MK is not the place.

jay

Goofster

I don't think they need a new thrill ride park. I think they should rehab Space Mountain, get an awesome ride in 20k and add a coaster to the Studios and Animal Kingdom, not to mention the matterhorn at Epcot. do this and
Keep adding great gentler rides, which they seem to be doing, and you won't have to worry about IOA.

Brett

Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer

Yeah really, if Disney made a land with just thrill rides, they might as well call it "Crowdedland - Expect to wait 2 hours or more to ride anything".

haha, it's true!!!

WDW-Imagineer

I agree with you on the 20,000 leagues part, but Disney does not need anymore thrill rides. The magic of Disney parks is the theming of the rides, not the speed or height of them. Disney's current thrill rides have fantastic theming, and at the current moment, I don't think we need any more thrill rides.

Epcot is slowly turning into a thrill park, which has nothing to do with the original concept.

So, I think WDW could do without any more thrill rides.

Goofster - What possible reason would make you want another coaster at MGM-Studios?? I think they have 1 too many already. The theme of the studios is, obviously, a Movie Studio. I think Rock and Roller Coaster has nothing to do with the Studios.

Frankcub

EPCOT gradually becoming a thrill park? I respectfully disagree. Far from it. Most people that I've spoken with equate EPCOT as a communal "social" exchange with the "World's Fair" atmosphere as a tag-along. Yes, it's not EPCOT as Disney imagined it, but the 1982 concept survives. I've been to EPCOT from 1982 on, and the park evolves, not in the sense of "thrill," but more in the light of idea/conception. Take a look at Mission: Space. This seems to me more like the Living Seas with a tech-twist. Sure, the idea of a simulated "launch" may appear like a "thrill," but it simply is a high-tech extension of the World's Fair approach of EPCOT. Simplistic yet unique to Disney....

WDW-Imagineer

True, but with Test Track and Mission: Space likely to be somewhat of a thrill ride/pavillion also rumors of The Living Seas being replaced or rehauled with something more exciting. Then there is the Matterhorn rumor in World Showcase...

I can just see Epcot becoming a thrill park in the future. We may not like it, but it may happen because Disney is deathly afraid of low-attendance and competition with other thrill parks (IOA, SixFlags, etc.) that they will start transforming their classic attractions into thrill rides.

NowInc

So let the future be thrill packed ....I have no problems with that :) The world showcase could stay mellow....this way the teenagers who arent into that will stay away and just hang around Future world.

The 20,000 leaugues under the sea area is PRIME for an Atlantis themed attraction. Some of the misty rumors surrounding this (damn those rumors) is another sub-type attraction that would revolve around the submarine ride that is in the cartoon. The rumor also said something about the ride having a different loading and unloading dock...where the subs would come in EMPTY to help enhance the realism. Also it stated about some special effects where the windows would seem to break and give the impression of a sinking sub.

Of course...this is also assuming disney doesnt use this area of the supposive "lay down" style coaster that would skim the top of the 20,000 leagues lagoon....which would be equally cool :)

markymark

Woa!

A lay down coaster - tell me more. I have never heard of anything like that before. I am still getting my head arounf the "stand up" coaster. Mind you, a lay down coaster would be great for someone as lazy as me!!

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by markymark
Woa!

A lay down coaster - tell me more. I have never heard of anything like that before. I am still getting my head arounf the "stand up" coaster. Mind you, a lay down coaster would be great for someone as lazy as me!!

This type of roller coaster is also know as a "flying coaster". You get in the coaster standing up and before it departs, the seats fall back and you are now laying down and the coaster goes. Once you get up the lift hill, the coaster does half a corkscrew and you are now facing the ground in a horizontal position (parallel to the ground). This creates the illusion that you are flying as there is no car or track below you, and you are in a "Superman" position. I have never been on one, but I can't wait until I have the chance to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom