MK 24 hour party 2015 - Coolest Summer Ever

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My everyone here seems to have a favorite lifestyler. Nice to see he upgraded from prodigy graphics to the dashboard cam. Neither grabs me.
Perhaps. But, I note you cant present any superior product that you have produced.

That said, as far as "lifestylers" are concerned (and, Jeff is far from a "Mommy Blogger"), Jeff has a fairly solid reputation for being both interesting and fair.

After his move (which was for work, not for Disney) he has stepped away from Disney centric stuff, and I agree, his Daily Drive feature isnt that interesting...i normally skip them. That said, there is a reason why that feature is posted on his personal channel and not the micechat one.

Now, as you are being immature (intentionally or not), I will put it in terms you can comprehend.

Put down the haterade bro, dont want people to know you are jelly.

DisneyOutsider

I asked the question not trying to shame anyone, but just honestly curious. I figured there had to be a reason. What I saw in response was very telling.

doctornick

WDW didn't give the guests a reason to come for 24 hours.

Ok, maybe it's just me, but isn't the point of the 24 hour day that the park is open for 24 hours?

I mean, I'm not at a point in my life where a 24 hour day would work out, but I would imagine the draw would be spending a full day in the park without leaving (if you could handle it) or doing stuff like riding BTMRR at 4am or watching the sun rise. It wouldn't even occur to me that the parks should do something "special" for those days since the day is already special due to the extended hours. YMMV.

PhotoDave219

Ok, maybe it's just me, but isn't the point of the 24 hour day that the park is open for 24 hours?

I mean, I'm not at a point in my life where a 24 hour day would work out, but I would imagine the draw would be spending a full day in the park without leaving (if you could handle it) or doing stuff like riding BTMRR at 4am or watching the sun rise. It wouldn't even occur to me that the parks should do something "special" for those days since the day is already special due to the extended hours. YMMV.

I'll rephrase.

It's a novelty. You do it once? The repeatability for your core audience diminishes greatly.

DisneyOutsider

I agree in part, but I believe the problem is they have set the bar pretty high with this event in the past with special food items, merchandise unique to the celebration, special character appearances, special parades, etc.

tenchikiss

The problem is the last few 24 hour days they have had they WERE special. I only went last year but they really promoted people dressing up which added to the party atmosphere. They had special merchandise and food choices. While we didn't last long enough to get any villain pics ourselves the theme was strong that day with heroes v. villains.

This year they seem to throw a few unknown (to me anyway) Disney "stars" down the street and redress the castle float for the millionth time. Just ONE shirt for sale. A sipper that is part of the regular celebration at Hollywood Studios. They were advertising it as a Frozen Kick Off to summer but you couldn't even meet Olaf or Kristoff. Based on how much Disneyland got (which had it's own issues) and based on the event at Disney World in the past I think a lot of people were expecting a lot more. I certainly was when I found out we were leaving Disney World Thursday night and missing it. Now looking and reading people's reports it really was just extra hours. Not what was really advertised.

doctornick

I'll rephrase.

It's a novelty. You do it once? The repeatability for your core audience diminishes greatly.

OK, though I guess that begs the question as to who this is directed towards. It seems from the posts that is is the APs (and CMs and their guests?) who want a special event. I could see how that would be less of a draw at WDW where the passholder base is much smaller.

I mean I would think that the 24 hour thing is something you'd do once in your life to say you've done it. If I were 25 and didn't have young children, I'd absolutely love spending 24 hours in the park. But doing it year after year would seem kinda pointless to me. I guess I'm not the target audience then.

Edit: It's interesting as I'm reading over this thread because of the expectations of folks compared to what ended up being offered. I see that past years were more robust in their offerings. I never have been able to attend any of these 24 hour days, so I never read about the entertainment, but I guess I always assumed that it was nothing special. Since it wasn't a hard ticket event, I figured there might be a few extra M&G/dance parties and some specialty merch but mostly the draw would just be the extended/different hours.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

OK, though I guess that begs the question as to who this is directed towards. It seems from the posts that is is the APs (and CMs and their guests?) who want a special event. I could see how that would be less of a draw at WDW where the passholder base is much smaller.

I mean I would think that the 24 hour thing is something you'd do once in your life to say you've done it. If I were 25 and didn't have young children, I'd absolutely love spending 24 hours in the park. But doing it year after year would seem kinda pointless to me. I guess I'm not the target audience then.

Indeed. You'll have to look for @NowInc to give a trip report, he was there for all 24 hours.

Alas it does make one question exactly who WDW is aiming to get in their parks for the 24 hour party. Is it the AP/CMs or is it the vacationers?

doctornick

I keep saying it-entertainment mgmt wants no part of the nonsense that has accompanied rare character appearances the past year - this Is the new normal

Serious question/thought -- why don't they have some location (maybe the Animation building at DHS) where they have a "rare character" station and they have the character there for something like 3-4 months and then rotates to a new rare character? That would help to satisfy those who want to meet rare characters, but giving enough of a window that there doesn't have to be the massive logistical issues that happen with individual events when they roll out rare characters.

I mean, Disney knows there's a demand, so why not come up with a way to at least partially satisfy it in a way that isn't an operational nightmare?

asianway

Serious question/thought -- why don't they have some location (maybe the Animation building at DHS) where they have a "rare character" station and they have the character there for something like 3-4 months and then rotates to a new rare character? That would help to satisfy those who want to meet rare characters, but giving enough of a window that there doesn't have to be the massive logistical issues that happen with individual events when they roll out rare characters.

I mean, Disney knows there's a demand, so why not come up with a way to at least partially satisfy it in a way that isn't an operational nightmare?
Good idea-I think even a month would get it out of their collective system. The LLF were a week and the lines never got out of hand. It's when they do a once every ten year appearance and schedule 3 sets that's the problem

tirian

tenchikiss

The WDW parks get the worse end of the deal. Disneyland has so many walk around characters as does Tokyo Disneyland. Here we seem to get the same old same old except when it comes to training new cast members in random spots at Epcot. They want everything scheduled. In reality if they had more characters out ALL THE TIME there wouldn't be such a nightmare other times of the year. Plus it would give people way more to do at the parks freeing up the lines.

Disney really needs to get a handle on the entertainment department though. Leaks from cast members to certain "famous" APers is causing the few unique character meet and greets to possibly be on the chopping blocks.

Also there is no reason to have Olaf be the face of the 24 hour event and have him IN COSTUME wave at the crowd...then not meet him. No excuse at all.

Next Big Thing

Indeed. You'll have to look for @NowInc to give a trip report, he was there for all 24 hours.

Alas it does make one question exactly who WDW is aiming to get in their parks for the 24 hour party. Is it the AP/CMs or is it the vacationers?
I think at this point, if it is going to be yearly at WDW, it needs to be APs/CMs.

Vacationers aren't going to tire themselves out just to say they were in the park for 24 hours (with very little extra entertainment), and then waste a day of vacation because of tiredness.

The problem is, they block out CMs. Personally, I think if they are going to block out CMs, it should only be for a certain period of time. Maybe keep them out early in the day, let them in at night.

Last edited:

AEfx

OK, though I guess that begs the question as to who this is directed towards.

That's easy.

It's directed towards the folks who click on the news story that says "WDW TO BE OPEN 24 HOURS FOR SPECIAL EVENT" that leaks out into real media as free advertising for the resort.

It makes enough news to be worth the comparatively paltry cost of keeping the park open overnight. They'd pay much more for traditional advertising to reach those eyes.

Disneyland is a different story, but at WDW it is simply about being talked about and making more folks think "Hey, let's think about going to WDW..." in general.

Kman101

I see where @doctornick is coming from. However, when you have past events that included special offerings, and then this year you have pretty much nothing extra except a cupcake, a shirt and dance parties ... there's a problem. But I do see what the point you're trying to make and part of me agrees with you.

And I agree with everyone else in terms of the characters. WDW has made them a problem. They can fix it but they clearly won't. Why are they so ridgid? And what are the characters that are in danger? I don't see how any "famous" APers could do anything? WDW clearly wants nothing to do with APs.

Monorail_Red_77

I was at the 24hr event this year again. I made it the whole 24 hours!! counting my drive time from home and back it was actually 30 hours. Anyway, I am working on my trip report and hope to have it posted soon either today or tomorrow.
But, I will say that the few things that I was disappointed about this year is that more of the rides closed down early, more than usual. Last year 7 Dwarf was open right up until 6am as I was one of the last to ride it. This year it closed at 4am or 4:30am

Last year the park closed at 6am and then the CM's start pushing you out towards Main Street. Mainstreet then closes around 7am. This is typical even for a regular night at least at MK as I close down the parks at least a few times or more each year. With the goodnight kiss at 6am coming from the castle, as normal.

This year the goodnight kiss was done from the railroad station on Mainstreet, right at 6am. all of the park closed pretty much right at 6am, even mainstreet shops, etc. I was walking out and made it to the hub by 6:10am and there were no photo cm's hanging around taking the last few pics of the night. as we were walking down mainstreet noiticed that all of the shops, even emporium (gasp) was closed and locked with CM's restocking and vacuuming already as guests were still walking out. I must say that this was a bit of a downer. Now, most guests would not notice anything out of the ordinary. But to regular guests that know how things work, it is disappointing.

Now, I know that there probably was some reason for this. Like, needed a bit of extra time to clean up before park opens again in 2 hours. Maybe last year cut it a bit too close, I don't know. Plus, looking back. It makes sense when I realized that the good night kiss was happening at the opposite end of mainstreet. I think it was management's way of saying, get the heck out.

All in all a good trip, just a few spots that were a bit off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom