Mixology/Wine classes?

Lunamis

Original Poster
Has anyone done the mixology/wine/beer/liquor classes? What did you think of them?

My husband and I are really interested in trying one on our upcoming Dream trip in Sept.

Probably a little less interested in wine since I've already taken classes and beer. I hear there are ones for specific liquors like tequila and cognac.

Can you pre-book these or are they in-cruise only?

95 days;)

sweetpee_1993

As soon as you board the ship go to Guest Relations and ask what all is scheduled. That's where you reserve your spots. I've done Mixology many times, beer tasting, chocolate tasting (paired w/various wines or liquors), and an Italian cocktail tasting. All were good & none were regretted. Only once did we have a Mixology that was *meh* but that's 1 out of like 7 times. That was a huge class & the format was a bit different.

There are nominal fees for them. $15+ per person. For the numbers of drinks its really a great deal. I enjoy the fun with other guests as well. ;)

lostpro9het

As soon as you board the ship go to Guest Relations and ask what all is scheduled. That's where you reserve your spots. I've done Mixology many times, beer tasting, chocolate tasting (paired w/various wines or liquors), and an Italian cocktail tasting. All were good & none were regretted. Only once did we have a Mixology that was *meh* but that's 1 out of like 7 times. That was a huge class & the format was a bit different.

There are nominal fees for them. $15+ per person. For the numbers of drinks its really a great deal. I enjoy the fun with other guests as well. ;)
If you had to rank your favorite?

mmssbrg2

Do these usually fill up pretty quickly on embarkation day? We're cruising on the Dream for our honeymoon in December and are taking the cruise transfer from French Quarter. Is it possible these will fill up before we are able to board?

sweetpee_1993

If you had to rank your favorite?
I think its a toss-up. Mixology I do every cruise. Love the variety & hands-on experience. I really enjoyed the variety of drinks with the Italian cocktail tasting, too. It was a departure from my usual gravitation towards sweet, fruity stuff. Nice to try other things. The beer tasting I also liked a lot because beer. I love love loooooove beer. LOL!

sweetpee_1993

Do these usually fill up pretty quickly on embarkation day? We're cruising on the Dream for our honeymoon in December and are taking the cruise transfer from French Quarter. Is it possible these will fill up before we are able to board?
The most desired days/times might fill up. DH & I did a mixology on the afternoon of Nassau and we were alone to begin with. Another young couple happened along as we were starting and joined on the spot. The smaller the group the more hands-on you get. There should still be plenty for you. If things fill quickly they will add more, too.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
do mixology and you will look as cool as us (or as lame)! :p

IMG_1116.JPG

Bolna

One thing I have always been wondering about mixolgy:

As I understand it, you might end up with a drink that some stranger mixed for you? Do they give everyone enough attentions to make sure that the people actually produce drinkable drinks? I used to do cooking classes quite regular and while I enjoyed learning new recipes, I always hated it when in the end I had to eat the stuff someone else produced out of the recipe as some people were just not good cooks at all.

ChuckElias

As I understand it, you might end up with a drink that some stranger mixed for you?
There's no "might" about it. You'll get drinks made by other people. That's actually part of the point. It's making and presenting the drinks. So you make several drinks and then distribute them to the other people in the class. They'll do the same for you.

Bolna

There's no "might" about it. You'll get drinks made by other people. That's actually part of the point. It's making and presenting the drinks. So you make several drinks and then distribute them to the other people in the class. They'll do the same for you.

Yes, but how is the quality of the drinks others make? Is there a lot of supervision by the bar staff?

Bolna

When the drinks are made they're front & center at the bar with an audience as well as bartenders assisting/supervising. After the first few cocktails it doesn't matter anymore anyway. LOL!

:p

I am still torn - not really keen on strangers who aren't professionals making my drinks... I loved the Martini tasting and was thinking about something different for the next cruise. On the other hand, 15$ is not a huge amount of money...

Lunamis

Original Poster
Wow glad I asked. I didn't realize it was hands on...I figured the bar tender would show you and then give you a sample and that was it! This seems like a lot of fun.

Has anyone done the ones like whiskey or tequila tasting?

Tiggerfanatic

The bartender picks the drinks and everyone that is mixing that particular drink all mix the same one. It's more showing you different techniques - we made a mojito which involved muddling the mint leaves, then I think it was the Cosmopolitans that we had to mix and strain. There was another fruity one that ended up in colorful layers, and B-52s that had the foamy head, if I remember correctly.

Since we were such a large group, the bartender worked with 5 people at a time and each of us made 5 of the same drink and everyone got to taste it. Then 5 more people went up. We didn't really do anything fancy with blenders or anything, like I said it was really more of demonstrating different mixing techniques. But it was a whole lot if fun. I may or may not of had a few extras since not everybody in our group drank, and I couldn't let all that learning go to waste! Right, @sweetpee_1993?;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom