Mission space

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The queue is beautiful, the building architecture is amazing, the theming is on point, the pre show is thoughtful and well done, and the ride is as close to space travel as we will ever get. To call it underwhelming is perhaps just expecting too much or indicates you're not interested in a real space travel simulation, which is fine.
The building is a steel shed with a pretty facade bolted on the front. The Futureworld buildings were designed to be beautiful architecture viewed from any angle. This one isn't.

Perhaps the fact this was just originally planned to be a preshow before the mainshow could be why some find it lacklustre.

Chef Mickey

The building is a steel shed with a pretty facade bolted on the front. The Futureworld buildings were designed to be beautiful architecture viewed from any angle. This one isn't.

Perhaps the fact this was just originally planned to be a preshow before the mainshow could be why some find it lacklustre.
Even if we agree the architecture isn't special (although the facade is really cool at night), the other stuff I mentioned is still on point.

While I realize the original concept slated the current ride as a "pre-show" experience, I somehow doubt that if this were actually executed, this pre-show would be anywhere near as thrilling or intricate as the current actual ride.

Last edited:

Courtney6682

I personally love Mission Space, one of Epcot's best attractions. I think that it does need a pretty nice upgrade soon though. For me the screens are a bit on the small side and I wish they were larger for a more immersive experience (curved tv's possibly). And it would be amazing if we could have more than one "mission" there could be a variety of different experiences. Just some thoughts on it, and wanted to know what others thought or if anyone knows if any future plans.

Mission Space has always been one of my faves...always in my top 3 of Space Mtn...ToT and Mission Space..lift off...best experience ever! LOVEEEE IT

andy773

Here is what an actual astronaut said about the ride:

Pioneering astronauts like Buzz Aldrin and Rhea Seddon have also taken their turn on the ride, which they compare to actual space travel.

“It was a really good combination of reality and looking ahead to what things might be like,” said Seddon, a former NASA astronaut who flew three shuttle missions. “I knew intellectually it was a centrifuge and that’s how they were generating the feeling, but it doesn’t feel like a centrifuge.”

epcotisbest

As you said, to each his own. However, let me just voice my opinion.

Calling The Haunted Mansion skippable, saying you hate it, and deaming it your least favorite is borderline insane and ridiculous at minimum. My guess is you are just anti anything ghost related.
Borderline insane...nope. Full on nuts. Yes, I don't care for ghosts, zombies, horror movies any of that stuff. We skip HM because we don't care for the theme...and it is our least favorite ride at all of WDW. I would even sit through a showing of Captain EO again before HM...and I have not subjected myself to that since 1986.

ChesterKiwi

Borderline insane...nope. Full on nuts. Yes, I don't care for ghosts, zombies, horror movies any of that stuff. We skip HM because we don't care for the theme...and it is our least favorite ride at all of WDW. I would even sit through a showing of Captain EO again before HM...and I have not subjected myself to that since 1986.
Sounds like Captain EO needs to send someone a major love.

Chef Mickey

They spent one hundred million dollars on that abortion? What a depressing thought. That hundred million would have been much better spent on upgrading Horizons. What a waste.
Yes and also had a legal battle with the ride's manufacturer. It was a big mess.

I actually think the $100m was worth it for the ride itself, because I think it's really cool, as I've stated. What I don't understand is why we couldn't get Mission Space as an addition AND an updated Horizons. Instead of replacing, they need to think about adding and updating.

There is plenty of space and we all know we need more attractions to keep people coming back and spreading the growing crowds.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Shame 50% of the planned ride, and a sizeable chunk of that budget, is no longer operable.

They got their sums wrong with this one big time.

Zippity-do-DAD

I agree. It's a great ride but could use some sprucing up. My wife and daughter and I make up for its short comings with some added screams and dramatic commands from the commander to ,"PUSH THE BUTTON NAVIGATOR"!!!! It actually helps......really! We always get out of the simulator short of breath and relieved to be alive, much to the odd gazes and giggles of cast members that couldn't help but hear our improvisational thematic elements!

matt9112

One of the best attractions at EPCOT? It would maybe qualify as the best attraction at a David N Busters, maybe slightly beter then their Star Wars Simulator, but hardly the best at EPCOT. But to each to their own, when a park only have five rides it gets hard to say

opinions aside..where else can you ride a ride like this??? do tell....it is very unique and just because of what it replaced and the fact so many people cant handle it has given it this bad rep. i think it is great and still cutting edge. although i wish they fixed the spinning thing,

matt9112

Shame 50% of the planned ride, and a sizeable chunk of that budget, is no longer operable.

They got their sums wrong with this one big time.

do tell?>

Flippin'Flounder

hat said, Epcot is sorely lacking in rides, no denying that, not as bad as Hollowood Studios, which actually has 4, Epoct has Soarin, Living with the Land, an imagination ride that is a shadow of its former self, a Spaceship earth with a laughable descent, a wonderful test track, ellens energy adventure sans Ellen's AA, and the mexico ride. 6 "rides" and throw in Mission Space, its 7.
Technically, DHS has 5 (TSMM, RNRC, ToT, GMR, ST) and I always do MV:3D and Indy or BATB. Also, however bad it may be The Seas is still a ride, and Frozstrom is on its way.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
do tell?>
Which bit?

One of the earlier space pavilion proposals used the centrifuge as a preshow vehicle to take guests to their ultimate destination and the main show of a space station with multiple attractions within...

Or the two expensive fuges of green that are deactivated and only have the cabins rotate on the end of their stationary arms?

matt9112

Which bit?

One of the earlier space pavilion proposals used the centrifuge as a preshow vehicle to take guests to their ultimate destination and the main show of a space station with multiple attractions within...

Or the two expensive fuges of green that are deactivated and only have the cabins rotate on the end of their stationary arms?

i knew of the latter....not of the former...

Bairstow

opinions aside..where else can you ride a ride like this??? do tell....

roundup-fairground-ride.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom