Mission Space while Pregnant?

PrincessNelly_NJ

Hi all,

I noticed mission Space is listed as rides to avoid if your pregnant. Does this include the green side?
I've been on both and haven't found the green side to be intense at all. But am I missing something else that makes it unsafe for pregnant women to ride?

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster
I believe they say on the warning sign at the entrance that expectant mothers should not ride... even the less intense side.
Yes I know... I was just curious why.

Soarin, the Safari, etc also say those things yet many pregnancy wdw list say that you can ride them as long as you feel comfortable.

I was just wondering if mission space also fits that list...

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster
Disney is covering all bases. I would not ride most attractions if I were pregnant. Actually, if I were pregnant I would be an attraction.
I understand that. I'm just trying to figure out if this falls into the category of "ride at your own discretion" or a hard no for pregnant women.

It doesn't seem too intense to me but i don't know the full inter-working of the ride which could pose another more serious threat. Most sites explain in detail what makes each ride possibly harmful to pregnant women (e-stops or drops, etc) with the exception of mission space. So I was just curious about that.

Upvote 0

MotherofaPrincessLover

I went to Schlitterbahn (a water park) while I was pregnant and like everything said no to ride it while pregnant like even a swimming pool. Let's just say, I didn't abide by all of those signs...

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster
I think Mission Space is more it might make you puke your socks off than actually do harm to you or the baby, also I don't know how well the overhead restraint would fit with the tummy, because you wouldn't want the restraint to press on the baby.
Oh ok. Thank you.... Luckily my belly is still pretty non-existent at this point

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster
I went to Schlitterbahn (a water park) while I was pregnant and like everything said no to ride it while pregnant like even a swimming pool. Let's just say, I didn't abide by all of those signs...

We are heading to TL. I'm going to ask my doctor about it since some rides are much tamer than others. I've seen reports of women riding big thunder and space while pregnant... I dont think I could do that lol

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster
Why risk harming (or heaven forbid losing) your unborn child for the sake of a theme park ride?

Many Disney rides allow you to ride pregnant at your own discretion, I was just asking if mission space is one of them. As someone mentioned above, some rides are simply labeled with a pregnancy warning for nausea/motion sickness reasons. (i.e. buzz space ranger spin)

I would never want to put my child at risk, which is why I will speak to my doctor and make an informed decision.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Many Disney rides allow you to ride pregnant at your own discretion, I was just asking if mission space is one of them. As someone mentioned above, some rides are simply labeled with a pregnancy warning for nausea/motion sickness reasons. (i.e. buzz space ranger spin)

I would never want to put my child at risk, which is why I will speak to my doctor and make an informed decision.
That's great then, and best wishes on your pregnancy!

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Soarin, the Safari, etc also say those things yet many pregnancy wdw list say that you can ride them as long as you feel comfortable.
Soarin' is not on the list anymore. The current list is:
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris
  • Expedition Everest
  • Kali River Rapids
  • DINOSAUR
  • Primeval Whirl
  • Star Tours
  • Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
  • Tower of Terror
  • Mission: Space
  • Test Track
  • The Barnstormer
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
  • Big Thunder Mountain
  • Splash Mountain
  • Space Mountain
  • Tomorrowland Speedway
We were there two weeks ago and my wife is ~six months pregnant. She "obeyed" all of the advisories except for the Safari.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

The speedway is for bump reasons I believe. I would ride that one if pregnant if I had a family member behind me making sure I don't get bumped.

A lot of times though early in the pregnancy babies are very well protected, but during those times I'd avoid a lot of rides for the nausea factor ;)

Upvote 0

docdebbi

I am an ob. The risk from rides comes not from speed or height, etc, but from sudden accelerations and decelerations. The baby is fine......just floating around in fluid, good cushioning. The placenta however can sheer off with these changes. Abruption. This can be serious.
I have never done the green side- love the orange side however- so i can't tell you if there are sudden accels/decels. If not, should be ok, if so, then should be avoided. I agree with using your own judgment. I usually however go through a list of "ok to rides" with my patients before they go since I know just about every ride there-- except for green side MS- orange side is a great big fat nope as I'm sure you guessed.
:(

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

I am an ob. The risk from rides comes not from speed or height, etc, but from sudden accelerations and decelerations. The baby is fine......just floating around in fluid, good cushioning. The placenta however can sheer off with these changes. Abruption. This can be serious.
I have never done the green side- love the orange side however- so i can't tell you if there are sudden accels/decels. If not, should be ok, if so, then should be avoided. I agree with using your own judgment. I usually however go through a list of "ok to rides" with my patients before they go since I know just about every ride there-- except for green side MS- orange side is a great big fat nope as I'm sure you guessed.
Don't forget, part of the risk comes from the potential for a ride to malfunction. Something like Splash Mountain comes to mind. When operating properly, it's a very smooth ride. Even the "big drop" is quite smooth. But if something happens where the brakes need to be applied quickly, that could be a very sudden and jerky motion. Same thing with the Speedway. A "smooth" Speedway ride with a competent driver provides little-to-no risk to mom or baby, but if you get a rough driver in front or behind you, there's risk of collision and/or sudden stops.

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster

Thank you. I was just curious because every article or list I've seen explains why you should be cautious with each ride (bumps.. e-stops.. etc) except Mission space. Which I found kind of odd. (I was one of those "but why? but why" kids that needed an explanation for everything & unfortunately that has followed me into adulthood) :D

Upvote 0

docdebbi

Thank you. I was just curious because every article or list I've seen explains why you should be cautious with each ride (bumps.. e-stops.. etc) except Mission space. Which I found kind of odd. (I was one of those "but why? but why" kids that needed an explanation for everything & unfortunately that has followed me into adulthood) :D

Actually IMHO asking why is a good thing. i always like to understand why i am doing what i am doing too. not just in medicine, in life.

however, having never experienced green side, i just don't know the motions and if there is any risk.

and guess what..........I'm still not doing the green next time, I'm still doing orange..........my patients are just going to have to do their own research, not giving up the orange for them! Bad doctor!:devilish:

Upvote 0

correcaminos

Actually IMHO asking why is a good thing. i always like to understand why i am doing what i am doing too. not just in medicine, in life.

however, having never experienced green side, i just don't know the motions and if there is any risk.

and guess what..........I'm still not doing the green next time, I'm still doing orange..........my patients are just going to have to do their own research, not giving up the orange for them! Bad doctor!:devilish:
They have a new story with the green side though. That's the only reason why I am going to try it. I've done the orange side so many times that it's rather boring to us. Kind of like when you get the same Star Tours story over and over and over again, you want something new!

I've done both sides and the green doesn't spin. It tilts you some but no g-force type pressure. It's very tame IMO.

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster

For the sake of research... you have to try both. Can you write off a Disney trip as a business expense? :D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom