Mission:Space update (confirmed)

rioriz

zuhyzr.jpg

I know you didn't mean it to ber but the cut outs of Groot and Star Lord actually seem pretty badas$$ for the entrance of the property. I wouldn't mind advertising like this (sans the actual guardians covering disney world) when the ride is being promoted...

rushtest4echo

, you can easily lump it together with Disney California Adventure 1.0, and Walt Disney Studios Paris.

That's going a bit too far.

I'm not a massive fan of the way the ride (or pavilion experience as a whole) turned out. But there was a point in time where I was convinced that Mission:Space would be EPCOT's crown jewel though that was before revision 2.0 and 3.0 and so on. I've been getting flack elsewhere for using images to prove a point so I won't, but the post show game is similar in look and feel to the real mission control in Houston. Of course, it's not as cold, sterile, and stuck in the 1980s as the real thing (or most of Future World, hah). The queue reminds me of lots of the stuff I see when I visit Kennedy's Visitor Complex. The show building and plaza are some of my favorite architecture at all of EPCOT.

None of it really looks cheap to me (and M:S is still up there with the most expensive "rides" Disney has ever done if you want to just count it as a ride). If anything, I've always thought that they should just pick up the entire pavilion and sell the thing to NASA as an attraction for the visitor complex. Replace the ISTC logos, crank up the ride back to its original intensity and you've got a perfect ride for them. And if it's good enough for KSC (which I personally feel is very well done aside from the stuff in severe need of an update like the IMAX theater and some of the older exhibits), then it's at least passable for EPCOT.

rushtest4echo

I know you didn't mean it to ber but the cut outs of Groot and Star Lord actually seem pretty badas$$ for the entrance of the property. I wouldn't mind advertising like this (sans the actual guardians covering disney world) when the ride is being promoted...

I think if they tried something like that on the gates at WDW, people from these board would go burn them down. I can't say I wouldn't join them either. :geek:

lazyboy97o

I'm certain that there is room for improving on aspects of the queue/preshow, but the major points that you've raised don't seem to be about the level of quality, and more about the theme lacking appeal to you. As you might imagine, the aerospace industry is quite austere in its design choices. Since Mission: Space is intended to represent something like a real facility in the near future it follows its source material.
Mission: SPACE is a training facility and one that is possibly open to the public. Even if it were something like an industrial facility, a small space with black paint and dim lighting is the opposite of real facilities.

BEARSHOUSE4

Original Poster
i'm lost what is exactly happening with Splash Mountain and what connection there is to Mission: Space :(
I think it's been hashed out that the early splash refurb is a result of a major project in MK this winter. M:S is also on the docket for a refurb in winter, but unrelated to MK project.

rushtest4echo

Mission: SPACE is a training facility and one that is possibly open to the public. Even if it were something like an industrial facility, a small space with black paint and dim lighting is the opposite of real facilities.

You're totally right, but I really don't think EPCOT needs any more beige, cold, sterile, 80's looking stuff do they? :p

I mean we all want EPCOT to get back to its roots, but not in that regard right?

Patcheslee

What kind of update can they do to Mission Space? Have the centrifuge turn the other way? Get a Space-X sponsor and we get to design our own space capsule in the queue?
Plan your own flight maybe? Do you want to go to Mars, do a flyby of other planets? Launch from Mars back to earth?

Tiki Queen of Outer Space

Speaking of story, when they say we're going to land on the polar ice cap of Mars, I loudly and nervously complain, "WHAT?! The polar ice caps are made up of frozen carbon dioxide and the whole thing shrinks and expands in the Martian year. That's crazy to land there!"

Umm... Soarin'? That queue is nothing more special than a hotel hallway.
soarin-queue-epcot-walt-disney-world.jpg

I've never seen a hotel hallway look like this...?

October82

You're totally right, but I really don't think EPCOT needs any more beige, cold, sterile, 80's looking stuff do they? :p

I mean we all want EPCOT to get back to its roots, but not in that regard right?

As this latter comment alludes to, real facilities are mostly aging office complexes that would make for an unquestionably poor experience in a theme park.

The purpose built structures that I would guess inspired details of M:S and many of which are public spacing do, for various reasons, employ this kind of aesthetic. That doesn't mean that M:S is a faithful recreation, nor does it mean that it should be one. Whether it works or not for what M:S is or should be doing is also worthwhile question, but there's certainly a basis in realism for many of the choices that were made.

Tiki Queen of Outer Space

As this latter comment alludes to, real facilities are mostly aging office complexes that would make for an unquestionably poor experience in a theme park.

The purpose built structures that I would guess inspired details of M:S and many of which are public spacing do, for various reasons, employ this kind of aesthetic. That doesn't mean that M:S is a faithful recreation, nor does it mean that it should be one. Whether it works or not for what M:S is or should be doing is also worthwhile question, but there's certainly a basis in realism for many of the choices that were made.
But why go for realism when the exterior looks like this?
epcot-mission-space-exterior-1-9.jpg

rushtest4echo

soarin-queue-epcot-walt-disney-world.jpg

I've never seen a hotel hallway look like this...?

True, Soarin at WDW always reminds me of an airport. Why you're boarding a glider at an airport is another issue, but still. It looks like an airport right down to the dark/dingy unfinished ceilings and air ducts that I see every time I'm at LAX (or lots of other airports for that matter).
15pstvs.jpg

Disney should get a THEA award for that spectacularly authentic "unfinished airport construction" look. It's perfect.

HMF

You know what? I have been biting my tongue with your posts. You have NO vested interest in WDW. You admit you haven't been in 10 years and only twice in your life. Yet, you act like your some kind of Disney expert. You are like someone who claims to be a fan of the New England Patriots, but you have only watched 2 games in your life. However, you show up on fan forums complaining about who they draft or what free agents they sign. I am a WDW fan. I invested thousands of dollars in DVC and go every year. I want Disney movies to do well so we get improvements to the parks. Why do you even care? If Disney really bothers you that much, maybe for your health you should find some other hobby.
I have actually been to WDW four times and DL twice So i know quite a bit about Disney. Also, I have never claimed to be an expert. I am just going by what I have seen, read and studied about the parks history as for no vested interest why would I claim to have had a life-changing experience riding Spaceship Earth for the first time if it didn't affect me.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

The exciting part of the industrial aspect is building the equipment. Look at photos of places like the Boeing factory. Massive, cavernous spaces that are brightly lit and painted white with painted machinery that provide pops of bright color.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom