Mission:Space update (confirmed)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Great interpretation of my vague and spotty theory. You said it better than I did. It's been mentioned elsewhere that M:S is first on the list of projects. I was hoping someone with inside info could offer details, as it seems other projects which are less likely are being discussed in much greater volume.
Like what? New graphics. Choice of mission before you board?

Tiki Queen of Outer Space

I'm not sure why you would expect the space pavilion to be devoid of spacecraft or to lack an industrial aesthetic.
The execution isn't good. It was obviously done on a shoestring budget, when you look at the queue areas for Soarin' and Test Track 2.0 there is a sense of style that was put into those interiors. Mission: SPACE was built during the lowest point of the dark ages, you can easily lump it together with Disney California Adventure 1.0, and Walt Disney Studios Paris.

Bocabear

If they had actually built the entire pavilion, then there would be no reason for a gut and redo... original pavilion concept, the centrifuge was only the conveyance to arrive at the Space pavilion...there would be other attractions and things to explore in the pavilion itself...like The Living Seas... Unfortunately it was dumbed down into the ride with a bounce house and gift shop...

October82

The execution isn't good. It was obviously done on a shoestring budget, when you look at the queue areas for Soarin' and Test Track 2.0 there is a sense of style that was put into those interiors. Mission: SPACE was built during the lowest point of the dark ages, you can easily lump it together with Disney California Adventure 1.0, and Walt Disney Studios Paris.

I'm certain that there is room for improving on aspects of the queue/preshow, but the major points that you've raised don't seem to be about the level of quality, and more about the theme lacking appeal to you. As you might imagine, the aerospace industry is quite austere in its design choices. Since Mission: Space is intended to represent something like a real facility in the near future it follows its source material.

October82

If they had actually built the entire pavilion, then there would be no reason for a gut and redo... original pavilion concept, the centrifuge was only the conveyance to arrive at the Space pavilion...there would be other attractions and things to explore in the pavilion itself...like The Living Seas... Unfortunately it was dumbed down into the ride with a bounce house and gift shop...

Is there any chance of an updated and more substantive postshow? Obviously nothing akin to the full pavilion that should have been built, but something more approachable and worthwhile?

Tiki Queen of Outer Space

I'm certain that there is room for improving on aspects of the queue/preshow, but the major points that you've raised don't seem to be about the level of quality, and more about the theme lacking appeal to you. As you might imagine, the aerospace industry is quite austere in its design choices. Since Mission: Space is intended to represent something like a real facility in the near future it follows its source material.
It doesn't look real either though, it looks like a plastic made for TV set. They literally just glued shiny panels to the wall and called it a day.

HMF

So we live in a world now where we actively hope a movie that could be a lot of fun to go watch is terrible and bombs, because some idiots in suits may decide to re-theme a ride based on the IP. I think we need to get a grip.
Thats pretty much what we have to do to prevent Disney from messing up the parks any further, yes. It's sad but true.

HMF

The whole thing screams Early 2000's low budget SYFY film.
You mean like this?
200px-Battlefield_earth_poster.jpg

October82

It doesn't look real either though, it looks like a plastic made for TV set. They literally just glued shiny panels to the wall and called it a day.

I'm not entirely certain that I know what you're referring to, but I'm also not saying that there aren't places where things could be improved upon. What I am saying is that the overall impression is nowhere near as poor as you suggested it is. Certainly not among Epcot or WDW's worst offenders, let alone on DCA '01/WDS level.

montyz81

Both Splash Mountain and Mission Space are being considered for Guardians of the Galaxy overlays, in addition to Tower of Terror, it's a small world, Space Mountain and Rock n' Rollercoaster. I've also heard whispers that Guardians will make an appearance in Rivers of Light by 2021. Star Tours is also a candidate for Guardians once SWL is constructed. But all of this can only happen if they don't go through with the Guardians of the Galaxy 5th gate.

I've said too much.
I had heard from a bus driver, that was told by a train engineer, who heard it from an EE maintenance worker that he was going to be responsible for dressing up the Yeti in a Groot costume.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Upgrade the visuals from Nintendo 64 to PS4 caliber? Fix a story that has never been able to fully commit to this being a training mission or a real mission to Mars? Attractive "space-sickness bags"?

Speaking of story, when they say we're going to land on the polar ice cap of Mars, I loudly and nervously complain, "WHAT?! The polar ice caps are made up of frozen carbon dioxide and the whole thing shrinks and expands in the Martian year. That's crazy to land there!"

when you look at the queue areas for Soarin' and Test Track 2.0 there is a sense of style that was put into those interiors.

Umm... Soarin'? That queue is nothing more special than a hotel hallway.

October82

Speaking of story, when they say we're going to land on the polar ice cap of Mars, I loudly and nervously complain, "WHAT?! The polar ice caps are made up of frozen carbon dioxide and the whole thing shrinks and expands in the Martian year. That's crazy to land there!"

Although it is true that there is seasonal variability to the CO2 component, Mars does have permanent water ice polar caps. There are a large number of good scientific and practical reasons to expect the poles to be high on the list of places that humans will go on Mars.

The real rescueranger

Thats pretty much what we have to do to prevent Disney from messing up the parks any further, yes. It's sad but true.
You know what? I have been biting my tongue with your posts. You have NO vested interest in WDW. You admit you haven't been in 10 years and only twice in your life. Yet, you act like your some kind of Disney expert. You are like someone who claims to be a fan of the New England Patriots, but you have only watched 2 games in your life. However, you show up on fan forums complaining about who they draft or what free agents they sign. I am a WDW fan. I invested thousands of dollars in DVC and go every year. I want Disney movies to do well so we get improvements to the parks. Why do you even care? If Disney really bothers you that much, maybe for your health you should find some other hobby.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom