Missed memories. Miss Memories? Nah, mismemories.

disnyfan89

Oh here's another one that I'm sure exists in some form, just not in the way I remember it. So online a long time ago I remember seeing a poster for alien encounter that had mickey mouse being startled by staring up at the large monster. But I looked it up and it does not exist! The mickey mouse poster must have been for some other attraction that I was mixing up with alien encounter, because I remember thinking how odd of a choice it was to include mickey in the poster when the ride's tone does not fit mickey and could easily scare mickey's main target demographic.

Is it possible youre thinking of the artwork with Donald?

Attachments

• donald alien.jpg
    donald alien.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 54

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
When I was a kid, I wondered why they took out this cool looking 'white paper-cut-out with rainbow effect' scene from IASW.

That scene was from JII (the original with Dreamfinder) :(

nolatron

1. The giant microscope from "Adventure Thru Inner Space" somehow popping up inside Spaceship Earth's load area.

So I'm reading this thread I was thinking I've got this old memory from being a kid and standing in a line for a ride. No idea what, no idea where, but I remember you could see this big thing across the room where you could see ride vehicles go into it and they came out the other side small.

After seeing your post and wondering what Adventure Thru Inner Space was, I came across the photo of the queue of the microscope and went "That's it!... that's what I remember!"

But the crazy thing.... I've also never went to Disneyland when it was open. I've been once in 2007. So now I'm wondering where the heck did this memory come from?? o_O In my memory the line we were in was just a long straight line along a wall and the machine looked to be behind glass. I always pictured it more a like Tron scene too. Maybe I saw it on tv/video as a kid and just warped into my own memory. So weird...

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
So I'm reading this thread I was thinking I've got this old memory from being a kid and standing in a line for a ride. No idea what, no idea where, but I remember you could see this big thing across the room where you could ride vehicles go into it and they came out the other side small.

After seeing your post and wondering what Adventure Thru Inner Space was, I came across the photo of the queue of the microscope and went "That's it!... that's what I remember!".

But the crazy thing.... I've never been to Disneyland before 2007. So now I'm wondering where the heck did this memory come from?? o_O
Since several of us have the same memory of riding it, but not riding it, I think I have the explanation.
52176924c856110a8d000024_736.jpg

danheaton

I could have sworn that I rode Tower of Terror at the MGM Studios in the early '90s plus Alien Encounter at the time, and neither opened until 1994. I guess they left such a strong impression that I remembered riding them even more at the time.

Ralphlaw

I remember a narration in the TTA that was fun and clever, and not a wasted beige anything-but-"out of this world" wimpy-voiced nothing.

I remember when the voice of Spaceship Earth was mysterious and not school-marmish.

I remember when Mexico had a boat ride that was respectful and clever with a deep sense of mystery instead of 3 screaming birds.

I remember when World Showcase had an amazing and inspired parade with fantastic music and huge floats and puppets.

I also remember a time when a visit to Disney did not require constant monitoring on cellphones, but instead involved mad dashes around the parks to obtain magical pieces of manila that got you on rides without waiting in line.

Okay, low blows, but all true.

What I truly do recall when my son was 4 was being able to go back and forth on Peter Pan and Small World with no lines on either one. It was the first week of November, 2003. I doubt that ever happens anymore. That and the amazing pork shanks at Gaston's Tavern.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
This may be a mismemory or this might be something that they still do at Epcot: I remember when we were leaving Epcot, the park just closed and they played really cool (cool at the time...I was a kid) Exit Music while we were leaving.

...do they still do this actually?

nickys

Premium Member
This may be a mismemory or this might be something that they still do at Epcot: I remember when we were leaving Epcot, the park just closed and they played really cool (cool at the time...I was a kid) Exit Music while we were leaving.

Not sure I'd know what cool music is any more ;). Or so my boys tell me lol!

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Not sure I'd know what cool music is any more ;). Or so my boys tell me lol!
Ha! My version of "cool" is definitely not another one's version of "cool". Guess I might have worded that wrong. Like, what was once awesome 90s exit music (that might be somewhat cringy today). Think they might still use this kind of music for the Fantasmic show.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Ha! My version of "cool" is definitely not another one's version of "cool". Guess I might have worded that wrong. Like, what was once awesome 90s exit music (that might be somewhat cringy today). Think they might still use this kind of music for the Fantasmic show.
Ok, I seriously faceplamed. I just used the words "cool" and "awesome". And now I just feel soooo lame. So very lame.

I am such a 90s kid that it hurts.

Incomudro

My father took us to WDW when I was in third grade.
I rode 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and was hooked on it just by sight.
A couple of years later we went to Disneyland where I rode 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea again.
Or so I thought.
For decades.
I could swear that the Hopper Goff subs were at DL too.
Well, just a year or two ago I got some old home movies transferred onto DVD.
There was some Disneyland footage on there (cool!) but, what of those subs?!

Last edited:

danyoung56

Well, they play the sound track from the last Epcot parade, which was called . . . . . I can't remember what it was called. Something like Festival of Parades or something. But it's really cool walkout music!

Karakasa

I remember a third "show" on GMR where the bank was on fire in the Wild West scene, but you didn't get hijacked until you got into the Alien scene, where a mechanic jumped on and left the tour guide to deal with the Alien coming out of the wall... Obviously never happened.

I also swear I remember there being a King Triton fountain in Fantasyland at MK but apparently that's only ever been a thing at DL...

Finally, I remember there being a hell of a lot more statues in that walk through section of Dinoland, as if to imitate a smaller version of the other walking trails.

FettFan

I also swear I remember there being a King Triton fountain in Fantasyland at MK but apparently that's only ever been a thing at DL...

There was. They put him in the 20k lagoon on display alongside one of the subs after the closure and "Ariel's Grotto" was built.

Tom Morrow

A surprising number of people think that the Tower of Terror elevators used to move out of the drop shaft at the top and either drop outside the building or slide back in and then drop.

I attribute this to a few things: very old school Intamin drop rides had you ride up a shaft in a four person "elevator" which then moved forward at the top before dropping down a track. And also the fact that a lot of the original promotional art for Tower of Terror showed the elevator outside of the building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom