Miss the Spinny things?...

The Empress Lilly

Okay, so very vague title, but does anyone else besides me miss the purple spinny things and the old signage around Innoventions? I feel like those went with the Innoventions theme and matched perfectly with the area music...but that is just me.
You are actually right that the spinners fit the music and old signage. Very much a product of the same time. I dislike the lot as a later, inferior layer, and wish the last remnants were removed, but I can imagine that if you grew up with them you miss that era and its traces.

brb1006

Love those! One of the few ways in which EPCOT has *gasp!* improved over the years!
31f05d5119b8e136d49511f80d10cf9a.jpg

I didn't even know the lights would make this shape.
7f02b8746785b36279d87c1ec37fd1c8.jpg

The Empress Lilly

<sarcasm> That's only because everyone is being funneled into those tiny walkways due to all the vegetation and water features. </sarcasm>
EPCOT Center was the greatest thing on this planet designed by mankind.

CommuniCore East and West had very wide pathways all along the length of their buildings. At once air-conditioned and bathing in sunlight. That took you from SSE to any pavilion. EPCOT was that good. Nowadays you walk either through the crowded, hot, uglyfied and paved over central plaza or through the dark dungeons of Innoventions from nowhere to nowhere.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
EPCOT Center was the greatest thing on this planet designed by mankind.

CommuniCore East and West had very wide pathways all along the length of their buildings. At once air-conditioned and bathing in sunlight. That took you from SSE to any pavilion. EPCOT was that good. Nowadays you walk either through the crowded, hot, uglyfied and paved over central plaza or through the dark dungeons of Innoventions from nowhere to nowhere.
This. THIS!

Raineman

But in the meantime I'll just leave this here

View attachment 170223
This picture seriously makes my heart hurt a little bit. It was 26 years between Epcot visits for me this year, and I had a hard time seeing what had happened to my beloved Communicore and the plaza. At 16 years old in 1990, Future World seemed to me like a beacon of endless possibilities, and trying to explain to my 11 year old daughter in 2016 what it used to be was not easy.

ABQ

If I'm looking at the same thing, it's a bridge over water vs a water bridge and I think it was certainly there. It was probably not much more of a "bridge" however than the current ones around the hub in the MK are. Water on either side and a pipe connecting them. Pretty sure that'a a real photo too, can't see an artist bothering with stains of the Communicore roof.

edit, just found this awesome video, at 6:48 you'll see that bridge with the water as well. And not only was there a bridge with water and all, but benches! What the heck!?!???! Benches!

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Wow. Epcot looks like nothing of what the original began as...:( The only ride that incorporated any real vision of the future is no longer in existence

The Empress Lilly

I'm not entirely sure that water bridge was ever there. I think the "photo" in question is an artist's rendering, not a photo.
I do love how EPCOT was so otherworldy pretty its modern fans can't even believe it is real! ^_^

Here is the area from the other side. 1985 I guess, based on the state of the Living Seas. (Before it became the Dead Sea with Fake Fish)

61dab3bac48ae397b7ca2de743daab47.jpg

The hub:
Bruce-Heidel-5.jpg

The bridge itself:
SSE-Bruce-Heidel.jpg

Last edited:

brb1006

This picture seriously makes my heart hurt a little bit. It was 26 years between Epcot visits for me this year, and I had a hard time seeing what had happened to my beloved Communicore and the plaza. At 16 years old in 1990, Future World seemed to me like a beacon of endless possibilities, and trying to explain to my 11 year old daughter in 2016 what it used to be was not easy.
Those things in the air makes the entrance and exit location at Spaceship Earth look non-existent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom