Minor missing show effect that bugs you

Yert3

Holy cow. I never knew it did that. Whenever I rode, you'd see the thing just kind of jerk up and down as if it had crashed *just before* you turned the corner.
It didn't last long. Maybe a year or two tops if that. I don't remember. It was almost 20 years ago! I'm guessing it was a really difficult effect to reset in time.

Chef Mickey

Anyway...back on topic....
While some might disagree with me that it's a "show effect" (I consider the exteriors to be just as much part of the show as the actual ride itself) I'm still upset that they blocked off the cave when Maelstrom turned into Frozen.
WDW%20176-L.jpg

norwaytn_waterfall2016ww.jpg

This decision still baffles me. Back when I visited in 2013 I witnessed folks actually posing for a while in front of it for pictures because they wanted to get the boat in the background.

In the words of Nick Fury....it's a stupid*ss decision.
Unfortunately, the never ending projections make it necessary to have a light controlled environment. Funny, animatronics don't care about light but are much more expensive to maintain.

KraftServices

On topic, the newsboy being turned away from the track is just creepy to me. I don't know why exactly, just last time I rode it, it weirded me out. I don't remember what the front looked like, but just the back of him with the audio and the boy not moving creeped me out.

And count me in for missing the chariot projection. It's the only thing I can think of that's actually a small thing that I still miss.

MerlinTheGoat

Living with the Land in the rainforest scene is missing some animal figures. A monkey and a bird at least, plus a lot of the bugs don't move anymore (the crocodiles are back at least). The separating sliding doors in the greenhouse have also been stuck open for years. The fire effect on the back wall of the buffalo scene has been missing for a while now too.

Splash Mountain has been missing some of the chickens on the Riverboat for a while now.

If this counts, almost all of the popcorn lights on the Grand Floridian roof lagoon-side are either broken or switched off. Only Narcoosees is still functioning (thankfully most if not all of the lights on the check-in side are functioning, they were converted to LED not that long ago and look great but the lagoon side is in need of work). I believe there are a number of similar trim lights missing from the Beach and Yacht Club resorts as well.

During the 90s, the cars on Space Mountain used to glow in the dark, removed I assume in the 2008 refurb. They also enclosed the queue roof so you can't see the ride anymore.

The Great Movie Ride's Footlight Parade scene has been broken for most of its life. The layers of mannequins used to rotate, and there used to be a fountain. Didn't used to be a scrim obscuring it either.

I guess they removed this when they changed El Rio del Tiempo to the Three Caballeros, but I miss the mist around the tunnel past the restaurant.

I consider this one pretty major, but the entire descent sequence from Spaceship Earth 94. Especially the fiber optics. A number of other effects missing from this ride as mentioned by others in this topic. I think I also remember there once being smoke effects in the burning Rome scene too. More recently the green steam engine has been non-functional the past several times I rode it. No rotating wheels and no steam effects.

Another arguably major gripe- I liked the original Illuminations show better than the current one, mostly due to the music and the way they choreographed the countries' lighting/anthems.

There used to be a lot of fountains in Adventureland around the POTC area in particular. Many have been turned off and filled with plants.

Speaking of fountains, the one they removed in the Tiki Room is also missed...

I'm already pushing this list into what I would argue are major missing show elements, so that should do for now.

Cosmic Commando

The paperboy facing away from the vehicles bothers me, too. If he were facing the vehicles, he could just be talking past the guests to maintain the story. If we are really time travelling around, it's not just the one little corner of his world that exists... there's a whole city around and past the ride vehicles for him to hawk his papers to.

GVentola

Good on you for trying. But in true Corporate America fashion, everything up to "please" is just blather. All they've said is we'll pass this on to someone who might (or might not) care.
I am aware of that, believe me! That's why I said "part sincere and part form letter" and that I'm not counting it as victory as of yet. I visited Epcot and Spaceship Earth yesterday. Although I didn't really believe they would "fix" things that fast, I still wanted to see if that TV set broadcasting the moon landing was off, and it was. (The last time I was on the ride, probably last year sometime, there was no problem with it.) It is kind of distracting. I think even people who were riding Spaceship Earth for the first time would notice it.

Yert3

It lasted well into the 2000s.

How about the flying sparks when you avoided the semi and scraped the crash barrier? Now that's an effect that went MIA early on.
Cool. I don't know why I remember it not lasting long. Test track opened when I was only 5 years old but I've gone to Disney at least once a year since I was 2, so I should remember when the effect stopped, but I cant. Was I at least correct for the reason of its removal?

The_Bellringer

This applies to Disneyland, but there used to be an effect on Indiana Jones where ice would fall from the ceiling that was dyed red to simulate the ceiling caving in. Apparently it only lasted a year or so, and didn't happen every time due to the ice not being frozen fast enough. Sometimes it would look like red slushy just oozing from the ceiling.

To fix it, they would have to take out a chunk of the ground above the ride to access it. Or at least that's what I've been told.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
This applies to Disneyland, but there used to be an effect on Indiana Jones where ice would fall from the ceiling that was dyed red to simulate the ceiling caving in. Apparently it only lasted a year or so, and didn't happen every time due to the ice not being frozen fast enough. Sometimes it would look like red slushy just oozing from the ceiling.

To fix it, they would have to take out a chunk of the ground above the ride to access it. Or at least that's what I've been told.
That sounds incredibly ... hazardous. Seems kind of risky and so unlike today's Disney.

Tom Morrow

I don't know if it was removed or what but the bright flash of light when the asteroid impacts on Dinosaur has been missing on my last few rides, both before and after the refurbishment.

Without it some of the shock factor of the scene is lost.

mf1972

i missed going on space mountain on our last trip, but wasn't there a projection of asteroids gliding along the top in the loading area? i haven't noticed if it's still there or not

The Mom

Premium Member
People, some of you are apparently too young to recognize an old joke about how young you are! Although, I usually say I have shoes older than you. It's a joke! Doesn't mean I wear them every day, and it doesn't mean, in this case, that the underwear isn't washed. Sheesh. I did not consider the remark to be mean spirited, as I would not be saying my remark in a mean way. If you are so easily offended I suggest you stay out of discussion forums - or grow a thicker skin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom