Minor missing show effect that bugs you

Goofyernmost

Yeah, the paperboy has always had issues. In the 82 and 86 versions his voice was too high-pitched, In the 94 version his voice was too low-pitched. since 2007 they have him facing the wrong way because A. Show Producer Bob Zalk found him annoying and B. He was supposedly close enough to the Omnimovers that guests could touch him which I really don't buy. If they really consider him that annoying why not design a new vignette for that area? I pose the same question to WDI for the censored statue in the renaissance scene.
The one plausible excuse that I heard was that we were riding a time machine. We wouldn't be visible to anyone in the scenes (assuming they could see) so have him out there yelling "EXTRA EXTRA" to nothing really wasn't logical, so they turned him around had had him facing the fake street where the towns people might be inclined to buy a paper. It apparently took a number of years for someone in imagineering to notice that idea, but, eventually they did. We think we are on a train, but, we are not, we are on a time machine and would not be visible as we passed by. Since the view through the message office showed a railroad just behind them, I guess that is what the logic was originally. They must have had a good reason because Disney has not ever found it worthwhile to spend money to relocate that particular AA just for fun. That would have been someone's bonus.

HMF

The one plausible excuse that I heard was that we were riding a time machine. We wouldn't be visible to anyone in the scenes (assuming they could see) so have him out there yelling "EXTRA EXTRA" to nothing really wasn't logical, so they turned him around had had him facing the fake street where the towns people might be inclined to buy a paper. It apparently took a number of years for someone in imagineering to notice that idea, but, eventually they did. We think we are on a train, but, we are not, we are on a time machine and would not be visible as we passed by. Since the view through the message office showed a railroad just behind them, I guess that is what the logic was originally. They must have had a good reason because Disney has not ever found it worthwhile to spend money to relocate that particular AA just for fun. That would have been someone's bonus.
Just design a new vignette if it really matters that much.

HMF

IS it me or has Disney gotten away from smells on rides... seems almost every ride used to have lots of smells like the burning in spaceship earth.. I don't remember them doing it on any new rides and seems if it breaks they don't fix it. Really seemed to set moods and not something you see any where else.

EDIT minus soaring ....
Well considering how much they abused the technology. (Looking at you SGE and JIIwF

HonorableMention

Although I'm not a huge fan of ITTBAB, I found it ridiculuous that the show was running with no Hopper animatronic. Made the show very confusing for first time (and probably last time) riders.

Goofyernmost

*Cough Cough* Y-E-T-I
The Yeti is still there and is as visible as it ever was. It just isn't moving, but, an important part of it's affect, is felt regardless. Not as much as what was originally expected and promised, but, it is still there and is working psychologically like it always did. We really do need to drop the Yeti thing. Hopper needs to be visible, just like the TV screen on SSE needs to be broadcasting otherwise a huge hole is showing in the story line.

ppete1975

I miss the original epcot signs. I had to giggle when I watched LOST, all the DHARMA signs reminded me of all of them
9cc50ff7b005401a138a4c21072281be.jpg

GVentola

Update: I got a response back from WDW on the e-mail I sent them about Spaceship's Earth Roman chariot & also the blank TV not showing the moon landing. It seemed partly sincere and partly form letter. Here's an excerpt:
"We appreciate the time you took to write to us to share your thoughts
regarding details on the Spaceship Earth attraction. Much like Walt
Disney once stated, "Disneyland will never be completed," the Walt
Disney World Resort will never be completed as we are always coming up
with improvements based on feedback from dedicated fans - just like you
- who have a passion for the Disney brand. Please know that we have
shared your feedback with appropriate Leadership."

Now for you naysayers on the forum, I'm not thinking this is victory yet. But it didn't hurt me to write, and as they say, you never know until you try.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Update: I got a response back from WDW on the e-mail I sent them about Spaceship's Earth Roman chariot & also the blank TV not showing the moon landing. It seemed partly sincere and partly form letter. Here's an excerpt:

Now for you naysayers on the forum, I'm not thinking this is victory yet. But it didn't hurt me to write, and as they say, you never know until you try.
Good on you for trying. But in true Corporate America fashion, everything up to "please" is just blather. All they've said is we'll pass this on to someone who might (or might not) care.

HMF

That's the same canned response everyone gets to every complaint.

ppete1975

That's the same canned response everyone gets to every complaint.
that sounds a lot more canned and honestly uncaring (the Disney quote for some reason rubs me the wrong way) than I would expect. Ive seen these emails before, sometimes followed with a call that seemed more genuine.

I'm wondering if petitions could help. Not complaint petitions, but we have 2000 signatures that wed like to see ____ fixed... or something. That way instead of 2000 people asking for different things "i want tom sawyers paint brush back" "I want jungle cruise to be serious" "I want stitchs ride to be chitty chitty bang bang" a bigger sample size of things that fans would like might help.

Not saying it would help... just an idea.

HMF

that sounds a lot more canned and honestly uncaring (the Disney quote for some reason rubs me the wrong way) than I would expect. Ive seen these emails before, sometimes followed with a call that seemed more genuine.

I'm wondering if petitions could help. Not complaint petitions, but we have 2000 signatures that wed like to see ____ fixed... or something. That way instead of 2000 people asking for different things "i want tom sawyers paint brush back" "I want jungle cruise to be serious" "I want stitchs ride to be chitty chitty bang bang" a bigger sample size of things that fans would like might help.

Not saying it would help... just an idea.
It could not save Tower of Terror in California or WDW's Toad or several other things over the years. The only way for any meaningful change is to stop going. I hate it but it's the way things are these days.

Goofyernmost

It could not save Tower of Terror in California or WDW's Toad or several other things over the years. The only way for any meaningful change is to stop going. I hate it but it's the way things are these days.
Just with the ones you mentioned the "these days" go back a number of years. Changing attractions not only is good business, but, it is exactly the philosophy of the old dead guy, Walt something! With the thousands upon thousands of people going to parks on a daily basis, why would anyone think that a 2000 person petition would have even an iota of affect on policy. We also have to at some point say to ourselves, 'it's a theme park, not a shrine'.

FettFan

Everest's Bird on a stick...
bird2_209.jpg

You know, whenever I hear about an Asian "bird on a stick", I can't help but think of delicious, delicious Sesame Chicken Kabobs.
skewered-honey-balsamic-chicken-6.jpg

Anyway...back on topic....
While some might disagree with me that it's a "show effect" (I consider the exteriors to be just as much part of the show as the actual ride itself) I'm still upset that they blocked off the cave when Maelstrom turned into Frozen.
WDW%20176-L.jpg

norwaytn_waterfall2016ww.jpg

This decision still baffles me. Back when I visited in 2013 I witnessed folks actually posing for a while in front of it for pictures because they wanted to get the boat in the background.

Did they put George Lucas in charge of designing the exterior?
blu-ray-changes-episode-4-r2-d2-hiding-behind-rocks.jpg

In the words of Nick Fury....it's a stupid*ss decision.

FettFan

I know the original Test Track doesn't exist anymore, but one small effect I liked that didn't last long at all was the actual car crash before the barrier test

Here is a video for those that never saw it. @ 5:52

Holy cow. I never knew it did that. Whenever I rode, you'd see the thing just kind of jerk up and down as if it had crashed *just before* you turned the corner.

FettFan

For me, and it's not really an effect, it's the paperboy facing the wrong way on SE. It just doesn't look right.

AMEN!
The point of the Paperboy was that he was trying to get YOU the rider to buy a newspaper.

I don't know why he was turned around....I've heard a couple of different things, ranging from he was too close to the track and his face was damaged by jerkface riders to one of the corporate honchos claiming he was "too loud".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom