Mine Ride Construction Update

csm

In case you didn't see it said that it was in Adventureland, not FL, and actually the article's name was "The most insane U.S. roller coasters". I mean, SDMT is cool and all but from what Disney has said it's gonna be more exciting then the Barnstormer but less thrilling than Big Thunder Mountain...

Far more of note in my opinion, the claims of height, speed and angle of main drop that are beyond laughable. Really? 80º? And you found this on CNN? Weren't they a newsworthy source at one point? ;)

Edit: Realizing now that the confusion may actually come from your framing of the screen shot. I have a feeling those stats were actually for the ride listed above it.

CarlFredricksen

Not really related to the opening/soft opening of SDMT but I was reading an arrive on CNN about the best new coasters of 2014, and SDMT was on it. I understand that there will always be a missprint here and there, but I was a bit annoyed when I saw this:
View attachment 51844 In case you didn't see it said that it was in Adventureland, not FL, and actually the article's name was "The most insane U.S. roller coasters". I mean, SDMT is cool and all but from what Disney has said it's gonna be more exciting then the Barnstormer but less thrilling than Big Thunder Mountain...

Which one?

JohnD

Not really related to the opening/soft opening of SDMT but I was reading an arrive on CNN about the best new coasters of 2014, and SDMT was on it. I understand that there will always be a missprint here and there, but I was a bit annoyed when I saw this:
View attachment 51844 In case you didn't see it said that it was in Adventureland, not FL, and actually the article's name was "The most insane U.S. roller coasters". I mean, SDMT is cool and all but from what Disney has said it's gonna be more exciting then the Barnstormer but less thrilling than Big Thunder Mountain...

"Walk" Disney World? Freudian slip?

d.N.d.

What happened to the swinging cars? I only noticed a bit of a swing in a few clips, and it was subtle at best. If I wasn't looking specifically for that one feature, I would have missed it. Perhaps I was expecting more movement out of these "swinging" cars (something more along the lines of the test video on the back of the truck where there is ALOT of swinging). Did they decide halfway through this to tone it down? If that's the case - then what's the point, and what's all the fuss?

Ummmm it's a short video of a moving attraction. Before getting all worked up why don't you ride it first. I could watch frozen trailers all day and complain or I could see the movie.

cba

Far more of note in my opinion, the claims of height, speed and angle of main drop that are beyond laughable. Really? 80º? And you found this on CNN? Weren't they a newsworthy source at one point? ;)

Edit: Realizing now that the confusion may actually come from your framing of the screen shot. I have a feeling those stats were actually for the ride listed above it.

Which one?
Sorry for my crappy screenshot. Here's the link: http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/21/travel/best-usa-new-roller-coasters/index.html?c=&page=5
"Walk" Disney World? Freudian slip?
Hahaha, I didn't even notice that one :D

d.N.d.

Cool video and you can clearly see the second mine train on the bridge independently swings further away from the camera then most. It's gonna be a cool ride. Thanks for posting the video

csm

Sorry for my crappy screenshot.

You can't be blamed - phones can be awful for framing an image when doing a print screen!

After editing my original post, I looked it up on CCN.com. They're talking about Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom with those stats, but mention it along side Twisted Twins, which will not be opening in 2014. There are several other errors throughout the post as well - notably, it mentioned Thunderbolt as the first new roller coaster to be added to Coney Island since the Cyclone, but not acknowledging the dozen or so coasters that have been built there between Cyclone's opening in 1927 and today, including the five still operating today at Coney Island (not counting Cyclone itself) before the new Thunderbolt opens this summer.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
What happened to the swinging cars? I only noticed a bit of a swing in a few clips, and it was subtle at best. If I wasn't looking specifically for that one feature, I would have missed it. Perhaps I was expecting more movement out of these "swinging" cars (something more along the lines of the test video on the back of the truck where there is ALOT of swinging). Did they decide halfway through this to tone it down? If that's the case - then what's the point, and what's all the fuss?

I think the swinging effect will be much more evident when you are riding it.

Bairstow

You can't be blamed - phones can be awful for framing an image when doing a print screen!

After editing my original post, I looked it up on CCN.com. They're talking about Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom with those stats, but mention it along side Twisted Twins, which will not be opening in 2014. There are several other errors throughout the post as well - notably, it mentioned Thunderbolt as the first new roller coaster to be added to Coney Island since the Cyclone, but not acknowledging the dozen or so coasters that have been built there between Cyclone's opening in 1927 and today, including the five still operating today at Coney Island (not counting Cyclone itself) before the new Thunderbolt opens this summer.

It's the start of the vacation season so a lot of news agencies are running articles about the new 'coasters this year. Most of the writers aren't that knowledgeable about coasters (nor do they care) so expect plenty of inaccuracies. I think I read an article earlier today that said Banshee was the "world's longest rollercoaster" full stop.

csm

I think I read an article earlier today that said Banshee was the "world's longest rollercoaster" full stop.

At the risk of steering this thread about a completely unrelated coaster off topic - if it included INVERTED in that description it would be an accurate statement - though it sounds from your telling of the tale that it likely omitted that pretty vital descriptor.

Piebald

I wonder how they picked the extra's? I would have loved to be at that cattle call!
There is a casting company in Orlando that constantly has calls for this sort of stuff (TV shows, commercials,etc). They posted it the day before (it's usually very short notice) and I would have gone but I can only do stuff like that on the weekends.

WildcatDen

At the risk of steering this thread about a completely unrelated coaster off topic - if it included INVERTED in that description it would be an accurate statement - though it sounds from your telling of the tale that it likely omitted that pretty vital descriptor.
Yes, Inverted is the key. Funny Sentence. . .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom