Migraines and WDW

HeatherWatson

Original Poster
Migraines can really put damper on being in the parks. Mine have mostly been under control over the last several years, but Illuminations has caused me to have them twice. The best advise I could give would be to stay hydrate, monitor precursors, and make sure to have medication on hand.

If she was to get a headache, would first aid be able to do anything to help? Like, maybe offer a quiet, dark place for her to rest until her rescue med kicks in and I can get her back to the hotel? I'm especially concerned about what we would do if she is to get a migraine while at the park. It is just she and myself traveling--husband and baby sister are sitting this one out at home--so I won't have anyone there to help me.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If she was to get a headache, would first aid be able to do anything to help? Like, maybe offer a quiet, dark place for her to rest until her rescue med kicks in and I can get her back to the hotel? I'm especially concerned about what we would do if she is to get a migraine while at the park. It is just she and myself traveling--husband and baby sister are sitting this one out at home--so I won't have anyone there to help me.
I would contact guest services directly to see if they can put you in direct contact with the first aide directors at each park. Best to get this type of info direct from the source.

Avenger117

Like the poster above said I would ask guest services. Its pretty hard to find a quiet place in the parks, but they may be able to help.

steamboatpexi

I feel like the rides that are the worst for me are Dinosaur because of the bright light flashes, i still go on it though i just close my eyes and duck down at the bad parts. Also, soarin sometimes can trigger a headache for me because of the drastic scene changes. I would also avoid space mountain, rock n roller coaster, star tours, and tower of terror for the lighting effects. Hope that helps!

HeatherWatson

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I've been in contact with her neuro today who says she will be ready to start a new prophylactic immediately (like 2 days) before our trip, so hopefully it will have a chance to work into her system some.

DisneyPrincess5

Aww poor thing. I struggled with migraines while in college and took Topamax for a long time, until the cognitive side effects kicked in and I had to go off of it. I do get bad headaches still but they're very infrequent. My headaches are also visually triggered like your daughter, and also triggered by hormonal changes and lack of proper hydration.
I find the best way to prevent headaches in life, including WDW, are to wear GOOD, dark sunglasses to protect your eyes and face from straining from the sun, LOTS AND LOTS of water, good sleep, temperature control, and low a sodium diet. I always change my birth control pill patterns in need be to work for our trip so I'm not struggling.

Have her stray from rides that rock her head around a lot like RNRC or the tea cups.

danpam1024

after 20+ years of migraines 2-3 a week (yes, with the n/v, photo/phonosensitivity) we found out I have a gluten "sensitivity". Cut it out, and with an anti-inflammatory diet (vegan), I have had TWO migraines in the past year (which were triggered by gluten). Good luck to you, I hope she find relief :)

HeatherWatson

Original Poster
after 20+ years of migraines 2-3 a week (yes, with the n/v, photo/phonosensitivity) we found out I have a gluten "sensitivity". Cut it out, and with an anti-inflammatory diet (vegan), I have had TWO migraines in the past year (which were triggered by gluten). Good luck to you, I hope she find relief :)

You poor thing!!! 2-3 a week for 20 years. Oh my! We (myself and my daughter) actually both have celiac disease, so we are both very strictly gluten free, as well as soy free, and I've also removed artificial colors, dyes, preservatives and additives from her diet. I'm sure she might indulge in one special colorful treat in Disney, but for an 8 year-old, she is surprisingly prudent about her dietary restrictions, as she knows what happens when she deviates from them. (I'm talking about stomach upset, but she recognizes that all that artificial crap could trigger migraines, so even though we've not made that connection, we still choose to eliminate the risk.) She might not even ask though--she already suffers from anxiety over getting a headache, so she might be especially diligent at Disney.

I am planning to contact guest services directly, as some of y'all suggested. Thinking back to her worst headaches, she at times suffered from extreme disorientation and once even partial paralysis, so I guess it would be smartest to plan for the worst. It sucks having this thrown at us now, so soon before we leave and with such little time to prepare. With the preventative, she has been headache free since a few days after Christmas--she actually got a migraine at her neuro's office (again, I think from the hospital lighting) which is when he prescribed the prophylactic, and it's worked as a blessing ever since.

Thanks again!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Years ago, I was diagnosed with combination migraine/tension headaches. I've rarely had them in spring, fall, or winter; but being out in the hot summer sun/humidity can quickly bring on these headaches. So, I usually wear a baseball cap to block some of the sun at WDW, and step inside buildings for shade every hour or so. Keeping hydrated with water helps, too. I also make certain that I carry medicine, just in case.

Hope you and your daughter have a nice vacation.

danpam1024

another thing you can try to keep her as cool as possible is a Frogg Togg's Chilly Pad (learned about them on this forum). I live in southwest FL and use mine all the time when I am doing yard work. Sports Authority and Bed Bath and Beyond have them for around $12 (also amazon.com of course!)
images

so unfair such a young girl has to suffer :'(

HeatherWatson

Original Poster
another thing you can try to keep her as cool as possible is a Frogg Togg's Chilly Pad (learned about them on this forum). I live in southwest FL and use mine all the time when I am doing yard work. Sports Authority and Bed Bath and Beyond have them for around $12 (also amazon.com of course!)
images

so unfair such a young girl has to suffer :'(

Thanks! I hadn't even heard of these!

danpam1024

She's clearly not asking for medical advice as she said she has a neurologist. Sometimes tips from people who suffer the same affliction or even just empathy helps calm the nerves:) If you ever had a migraine, you'd do anything to keep it from happening- even if someone told you the best way to prevent them was to stand on your head 4 times a day and drink cow urine:D

jakeman

She's clearly not asking for medical advice as she said she has a neurologist. Sometimes tips from people who suffer the same affliction or even just empathy helps calm the nerves:) If you ever had a migraine, you'd do anything to keep it from happening- even if someone told you the best way to prevent them was to stand on your head 4 times a day and drink cow urine:D
She's asking for advice on how to prevent a medical condition from occurring. That is pretty much the definition of asking for medical advice.

Going to the source (in this case Guest Relations at WDW) and then looping back with a medical professional to discuss the information is the best course of action.

danpam1024

She's asking for advice on how to prevent a medical condition from occurring. That is pretty much the definition of asking for medical advice.

Going to the source (in this case Guest Relations at WDW) and then looping back with a medical professional to discuss the information is the best course of action.
totally agree- sometimes finding something that works for someone else and taking that info to the doctor can result in a life changing solution. It did for me.

Last edited:

Katie969

Hey there! It really sucks that your daughter gets them so often, and easily triggered. I used to get migraines pretty regularly, but we eventually discovered it was caffeine that set them off! But I do visit both Disney and other theme parks often, and I'd worry about getting one while were out, it can put a downer on the day :( my best advice would be the same as some others, sunglasses, and if you can avoid the triggers you know of and then have fun! Hopefully if you can steer clear of triggers your daughter can relax :D I hope you guys have a lovely time <3

HeatherWatson

Original Poster

Actually, it's not medical advice I am asking for, though I did pose a similar question to her doctor who offered nothing particularly useful about sprefic types of attractions to avoid; rather, I am asking from people's personal experiences if they've observed any particular attractions that have seemed to trigger their migraines--I'm not asking anyone to counsel me in what to do or not do; I simply would like to gather information (that I might not otherwise learn from guest services) so that I can take it into consideration while we are there. Furthermore, when people offer me other advice perhaps outside the specific question I've asked, I am too polite a person to say "thanks for trying to help, but that's not what I'm looking for!" Instead, I just like to say, "thank you for the help!" I'm glad to have any extra tips for what's worked for someone else so to hopefully keep a headache at bay :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom