Migraines and WDW

HeatherWatson

Original Poster
My daughter suffers from frequent migraines. Due to adverse side effects, her doctor just stopped the preventive medication she has been taking which had successfully held off a nasty headache for months. My daughter's headaches are completely debilitating. Without the prophylactic now our only defense is to avoid potential triggers. I know the usual--eat regularly, stay hydrated, get adequate sleep, etc.--but what I would like to know from your experiences is if there are any particular attractions more likely to put a migraine sufferer at risk for a headache? Any input will be HUGELY appreciated.

Edit:
Triggers are most likely visually related.

Last edited:

Virtual Toad

My daughter suffers from frequent migraines. Due to adverse side effects, her doctor just stopped the preventive medication she has been taking which had successfully held off a nasty headache for months. My daughter's headaches are completely debilitating. Without the prophylactic now our only defense is to avoid potential triggers. I know the usual--eat regularly, stay hydrated, get adequate sleep, etc.--but what I would like to know from your experiences is if there are any particular attractions more likely to put a migraine sufferer at risk for a headache? Any input will be HUGELY appreciated.

What usually triggers your daughter's headaches? I went through several years of debilitating headaches and discovered that salty foods, hot weather and loud music/crowds/noises were all potential triggers, all of which can be found in abundance at WDW. Any one of the three could potentially trigger a headache but two or more together were especially bad news. There's nothing worse than having a migraine at the happiest place on earth!

brihow

i know for me, drastic changes in light can be a trigger. I usually wear sunglasses on rides like "The Land" where you go from a dark room to glaring sunlight in a few seconds. Also avoid salty foods (anything at Le Cellier is too salty for me).

Since1976

I have several triggers, but at WDW the main thing that prevents migraines is eating at the right time and getting plenty of water.

Since I started scheduling our meals and carrying a water bottle with me, I haven't had an issue at the parks.

I can't think of any attractions in particular which caused or worsened a migraine, but any attractions whose queue snakes around outdoors in the heat is a potential problem.

HeatherWatson

Original Poster
What usually triggers your daughter's headaches? I went through several years of debilitating headaches and discovered that salty foods, hot weather and loud music/crowds/noises were all potential triggers, all of which can be found in abundance at WDW. Any one of the three could potentially trigger a headache but two or more together were especially bad news. There's nothing worse than having a migraine at the happiest place on earth!

Certain lighting seems to have the greatest impact on her ability to develop a headache. We noticed that when she'd get one at school it would always come on gym days, so they adjusted the lighting to meet her needs, and she hasn't gotten on at school since. I think her headaches are related to visual triggers in general. She has something called an optic glioma, which is a non-malignant growth on her optic nerve thay most likely interfers with how her brain receives certain visual input. Nevertheless, we also avoid potential dietary and other triggers so to keep her risk for a headache down.

landauh

My daughter's boyfriend has the same issue as your daughter. He is able to do everything at WDW but is limited by the amount of heat and humidity so they usually are limited to mornings and nighttime with afternoons indoors resting.

HeatherWatson

Original Poster
i know for me, drastic changes in light can be a trigger. I usually wear sunglasses on rides like "The Land" where you go from a dark room to glaring sunlight in a few seconds. Also avoid salty foods (anything at Le Cellier is too salty for me).

Drastic changes in light are a concern for me, as I believe most of her triggers are visually related.

Could you tell me of more rides like this, please? Also, do you have problems with flashes for ride photos?

Virtual Toad

She would probably want to avoid anything with strobes. Universe of Energy has a strobe light tunnel that's definitely a potential trigger. Anyone else think of others? I agree with the previous poster who suggested dark sunglasses to help with changes in lighting. She should probably consider wearing them full-time at the parks.

HeatherWatson

Original Poster
She would probably want to avoid anything with strobes. Universe of Energy has a strobe light tunnel that's definitely a potential trigger. Anyone else think of others? I agree with the previous poster who suggested dark sunglasses to help with changes in lighting. She should probably consider wearing them full-time at the parks.

Thanks! Because she wears glasses, we ordered a Rx pair of sunglasses thinking it might be a wise move. It's reassuring to hear others saying they think it might help also.

Does Dinosaur have any lighting effects?

Virtual Toad

Thanks! Because she wears glasses, we ordered a Rx pair of sunglasses thinking it might be a wise move. It's reassuring to hear others saying they think it might help also.

Does Dinosaur have any lighting effects?

It does, most of the ride takes place in near total darkness but there are multiple lighting effects during the beginning and near the end of the ride, essentially during the "time travel" portions, including a big sudden burst of bright light near the end.

Journey to Imagination w/Figment at Epcot also has a huge blast of sudden bright light near the end. :(

landauh

Almost all attractions that have on ride photos have a very bright flash. Ones like splash mountain are outdoors and you don't really see the flash. Space mountain and ToT are indoors and very bright.

KLinder7

I don't get migraines but know how bad they can be from friends who suffer. Just like others have said, I would be extremely careful of the heat. I know I can get a headache pretty easily if I'm not careful in the sun. Hope all works out for you and your daughter!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If you can suggest some others, I would love any input that might help.
My wife will have migraines the day after having severe gastro issues. We are still working with her neurologists to try to determine if the gastro issue is a trigger or if it's just prolonged onset of the episode. She does not experience typical visual sensitivity, but seems to be affected by gastro related things. Reflux, motion sickness, certain food types etc.

She has recently been given a post episode pill to take in association with three Alieve tablets that really cuts the pain fast, however it makes her loopy for about 24 hours. She can function, but feels like she is "buzzing" for a lack of a better term.

SkipperButler

I would suggest watching some of the attractions on youtube to so that you can be the best judge of what might trigger a headache. I know it's kind of like ruining the surprise of the experience, but it might give you an idea of when and where the trouble spots might be.

Dinosaur is really dark for most of the attraction with the exception of a few seconds at the beginning, the on0ride photo flash, and a few seconds at the end. If you know the trouble spots prior to riding, you might be able to have her close her eyes at these particular moments.

HeatherWatson

Original Poster
My wife will have migraines the day after having severe gastro issues. We are still working with her neurologists to try to determine if the gastro issue is a trigger or if it's just prolonged onset of the episode. She does not experience typical visual sensitivity, but seems to be affected by gastro related things. Reflux, motion sickness, certain food types etc.

She has recently been given a post episode pill to take in association with three Alieve tablets that really cuts the pain fast, however it makes her loopy for about 24 hours. She can function, but feels like she is "buzzing" for a lack of a better term.
I hope your wife's headaches get better!

Avenger117

Migraines can really put damper on being in the parks. Mine have mostly been under control over the last several years, but Illuminations has caused me to have them twice. The best advise I could give would be to stay hydrate, monitor precursors, and make sure to have medication on hand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom