Mighty Rains, Moana Raids, and Mickey Raves

(& Monorails!)

Similar to my trip report from last year, I’m presenting mine as a top ten list. I have a tendency to get verbose in my writing, and this format forces me to be concise. For the record, we stayed at the Polynesian from 8/6 – 8/12 and had a fabulous time. Here goes:

2003 Top 10 WDW Insights

10. Go to Blizzard Beach in the morning when it’s raining. You’re there to get wet anyway, and the crowds are non-existent (we walked on to Teamboat Springs twice and waited all of 10 minutes for Summit Plummet).
9. Don’t leave a half-filled pressed penny book by a game at Moana Mickey’s Arcade. Within 30 minutes, it may get stolen (and make a 6-year old boy very unhappy).
8. Auntie Claire at the 50’s Prime Time Café is one of (if not, the) most entertaining waitress you’ll ever encounter. Scott at the Crystal Palace provides the best service.
7. One of the traditional Polynesian dances at the Luau must be a rain dance (it poured during the third act, but the show went on!).
6. If you leave the kids at the Neverland Club (which they will adore), you will be able to have a quiet, romantic meal at the Kona Café without being interrupted every two minutes with requests (“Can we go on Space Mountain?”) and statements (“I’m going to show Mickey my watch!”).
5. The Paint-and-Eat Troll Cookies at Akershus are a kid favorite.
4. If you ride up-front on the monorail, the kids get an official “monorail co-pilot” card. The question is: where’s the card for the adults???
3. If it rains during your FastPass return time for Test Track, you can still use the FastPasses two days later.
2. Spirit Airlines’ pilots will good-naturedly reassure your 8-year old that they indeed will not be flying too close to the sun.
1. If simulators and/or spinning rides make you dizzy, you will find riding Mission:Space to be an unpleasant physical experience (make no mistake, I think the attraction has an unquestionable “wow” factor and is extremely well done – and I was able to walk-on in the Single Riders Line - but I will never ride it again).

Lovecraft

Card for adults...

Did you ask for one?

My wife and I were given co-pilot cards -- I thought they gave them to everyone who rode up there.

Great top 10 list. We were looking for your family when we were there. What longhouse did you get? LOL I was actually thinking of asking our waiter at Akershus for a troll cookie but we got the berry cobbler and the cute chocolate mouse viking ship instead.What did you think of the new bus stop in terms of convience? How about a bottom 10 list. Sorry about your little guys penny book. I just asked my ds's if they saw one in there when they were there and they said no. Was this during the arcade challenge or another time?

GenerationX

Original Poster
Lovecraft - in regards to the co-pilot's license - my boys were very excited to be riding upfront on the monorail. I was "the Dad", and while I was enthusiastic, I did not display their level of exuberance. The driver probably figured I was doing this for the boys' benefit and not mine. I should've asked for one, too!

marypopmom - thanks for checking with your kids about the lost pressed penny book. We lost it on Friday the 8th during a regular "open" time. I can't comment on the Polynesian's new bus stop, because we rode the monorails or our rental car to everything. Also, we were on the ground floor of Tuvalu. Were you close by?

I've posted some pictures from the trip here.

We were in samoa. I must say that we short cutted through niuie when it was really hot but the smoke was getting to asthma ds. We were right in front of the volcano pool. I also had a question for you. Did you know what that survey desk was for that had a box that said drop completed surveys here that was in the great ceremonial house.

GenerationX

Original Poster
I didn't look at the survey, marypopmom. I figured it was just another "How's our service?" survey, and I wasn't really awed or disappointed by the service at the Polynesian.

Yellow Shoes

I noticed that you dressed the kids in indentical shirts each day.

This is my #1 favorite tip for traveling with children.

It definitely makes them easier to find in a crowd, and you don't have to remember that #1 is in a red shirt, #2 is in a Donald Duck shirt, and #3 is wearing a black shirt.

Plus, it really makes the photos extra cute.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom