Mickeys not so scary halloween - fancy dress

KirstiFeg

Original Poster
Hi all

We are going to Mickey's not so scary halloween party for the first time and so are trying to sort out costumes.
Is it acceptable to wear Halloween style costumes? Not just cutesy Disney ones? Obviously nothing mega scary, but also don't want to stand out as having gone too "halloweeny"

Tia
:)

jloucks

Hi all

We are going to Mickey's not so scary halloween party for the first time and so are trying to sort out costumes.
Is it acceptable to wear Halloween style costumes? Not just cutesy Disney ones? Obviously nothing mega scary, but also don't want to stand out as having gone too "halloweeny"

Tia
:)

I wore a Loki costume. Massive amounts of green faux leather. I was so flippin hot, lol, but it was fun. ...and not at all Disney related.

Megamazing

In the Parks
Yes

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I once dressed as Harrietta Potter, Harry's long lost older twin sister who was sorted into Ravenclaw. Had the whole backstory for her. Seen several guest dressed in Hogwarts robes. However, won't do it again because (1) it was bloody hot still (went on Halloween) and (2) don't think the new costume rules allow capes past your waist, so wizarding robes would be prohibited.

Frankly, who really cares (or is their business) what character/IP/ghoul you dress up as, as long as you meet Disney's costume guidelines. And are comfortable. I've seen some pretty creative costumes. And love it when an entire family dresses up in the same theme.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
We're on a Disney forum, so I'm comfortable with my Harry Potter position.

I do beleive you are msissing the point of the halloween parties . They encourage people to dress up and draw attention to themselves.
Matbe they are just having fun and don't think of themselves too clever. But hey thats just popular opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megamazing

In the Parks
Yes

People love to drawn attention to themselves and truly believe they are clever, so it doesn't surprise me. Any reasonable person would ignore them or just laugh at them. I doubt many think it's even mildly clever. It's so cheesy and typical of today's dimwitted, basic person.

Just my opinion, of course.
Just when I thought it couldn't be more rude, you call them dimwitted. Nice.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
Wearing a Halloween custom during a Halloween party is obviously fine.

It's just when people try the lazy comedy routine with the Harry Potter costumes at Disney park, it just is a bad look. Don't try to spin it into me saying all Halloween costumes are lame. Drawing attention to yourself with a tired old joke is what makes it lame.
Why can't people wear Harry Potter fancy dress to a Disney park ? Maybe , Just maybe they are HP fans and are not trying to be all "look at how clever i am" and more " I like HP so i am going to take the oppertunity to dress up like a character". But hey you said it is lame so it must be. Maybe the lazy internet cynic routine is just lame.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
I actually sort of love it when people wear slightly subversive costumes to the parties. Halloween is exactly the right time to be a bit cheeky when it comes to corporate intellectual property conventions... not that there's ever a bad time to thumb one's nose at that.
View attachment 225616
Nice.. I didn't notice the mix until i looked a second time.

Minnie Mum

Oh, please. Who cares if someone dresses up in a HP costume? Other than Chef Mickey, of course. No different than someone who chooses a non Marvel costume.I can't count the number of Batman costumes I've seen. Should they be banned, too?

Dressing up as witches or wizards seems very appropriate for Halloween, and people have been doing it for years. Our last MNSSHP was 6 years ago, and we saw several groups in HP costumes, some done very, very well. And the reactions by both fellow guests and CMS alike seemed positive. Yes there was some good natured teasing, but I saw multiple CMS complimenting them and even asking where they got certain items of their costumes.

Some people need to relax a little and stop with the name calling.

jloucks

People love to drawn attention to themselves and truly believe they are clever, so it doesn't surprise me. Any reasonable person would ignore them or just laugh at them. I doubt many think it's even mildly clever. It's so cheesy and typical of today's dimwitted, basic person.

Just my opinion, of course.

Ouch! Not sure I would have gone with equating what could reasonably be construed as clever = dimwitted. That's a tough sell.

People are often accidentally clever. You assume dressing as Harry Potter is a clever intentional poking action aimed at Disney. In reality I think lots of people just like Harry Potter and that is a go to costume. Very simple really. You are giving way too much credit.

G8rchamps

I just did an article for my clients about the Not so scary event, because I have had questions about the costumes. I did some research from Disney to see if they had rules about the costumes. Having been there diring this time I thought the only rule was that the costumes should be family friendly. I love the costumes, and love to see everyone's creativity. Turns out I was wrong there are rules. This is what I found:
  • Costumes may not be worn by Guests 14 years of age or older (this is pretty well ignored and I have never seen Disney challenge older people with nice costumes)
  • Masks may not be worn by Guests 14 years of age or older (unless they are for medical purposes)
  • Clothing with objectionable material, including obscene language or graphics
  • Excessively torn clothing
  • Clothing which, by nature, exposes excessive portions of the skin that may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment
  • Clothing with multiple layers are subject to search upon entry
  • Objectionable tattoos
That is all I know, hope it helps.

*******YOU MISSED THE REST OF THE PAGE*****

Dressing for Special Events

Please note these specific costume guidelines for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.

While we encourage creativity, we also value safety and good judgment. If you’re planning to attend these special holiday events, take a moment to read over our latest rules and regulations:

General

• Disney reserves the right to deny admission to or remove any person wearing attire that is considered inappropriate or attire that could detract from the experience of other Guests.
  • All Guests may dress as their favorite character, but may not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other Guests.
  • Costumes must be family-friendly and may not be obstructive, offensive, objectionable or violent.
  • Costumes may not contain any weapons that resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon.
  • Costumes may not contain sharp objects, pointed objects or materials that may accidentally strike another Guest.
  • Guests who do not adhere to these guidelines may be refused entry into, and/or removed from, unless his or her costume can be modified to meet the above standards.
For Guests ages 13 and under:

• Costumes and some masks may be worn, as long as the mask does not cover the entire face and eyes are visible.
For Guests ages 14 and older:

• Layered costumes or costume props that surround the entire body are strongly discouraged and may be subject to additional security screening.
  • Costumes may not reach or drag on the ground. (e.g.,full-length Princess dresses)
  • Capes may be worn if the length does not go below the waist.
  • Themed T-shirts, blouses, sweatshirts, and hats are acceptable.
  • Acceptable accessories include: transparent wings, plastic light sabers, toy swords, and tutus. Headwear may be worn as long as it does not cover the face.
  • Masks of any kind may not be worn.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
I just did an article for my clients about the Not so scary event, because I have had questions about the costumes. I did some research from Disney to see if they had rules about the costumes. Having been there diring this time I thought the only rule was that the costumes should be family friendly. I love the costumes, and love to see everyone's creativity. Turns out I was wrong there are rules. This is what I found:
  • Costumes may not be worn by Guests 14 years of age or older (this is pretty well ignored and I have never seen Disney challenge older people with nice costumes)
  • Masks may not be worn by Guests 14 years of age or older (unless they are for medical purposes)
  • Clothing with objectionable material, including obscene language or graphics
  • Excessively torn clothing
  • Clothing which, by nature, exposes excessive portions of the skin that may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment
  • Clothing with multiple layers are subject to search upon entry
  • Objectionable tattoos
That is all I know, hope it helps.

I do not have objectionable Tattoo's . . . they are high quality

I am Timmy

I found this to be hilarious.
It was so great - my DS was a Ravenclaw (this was in 2014) and several CM's said, "welcome Ravenclaw", to him all over MK. We also did the Villain's Sinister Soiree (yes, a party within a party because villains.... taking over the castle.) and every villain remarked about him being a wizard with a wand. One of the ugly stepsisters screamed out to Lady Tremaine that there was a wizard present and they had a big to do over whether his wand could be used against the Fairy Godmother and if he could help them defeat her. Then the sister told him he was going on her list of potential suitors, because her mother would obviously approve of him (my DS is shy and he stayed silent but smiling). Priceless.

I am Timmy

WOW. Dressing up for halloween is not supposed to be about being judged, it's just a good time. As far as the choice of costume, when we have an Orlando vacation we always go to Universal first, then Disney. The year we went as Harry Potter wizards we had just bought the stuff - literally - right before we got to Disney so we didn't have to pack costumes in our luggage, and sent them home UPS in a box with a bunch of our Disney souvenirs. Clever? You bet. I didn't have to buy seperate costumes for the party when we already knew we'd be buying HP robes, ties and scarves. That's just good value. We got to wear them at Uni and Disney, and everyone had fun. CM's were awesome about it (many of them clearly HP fans themselves) and others were also wearing them. It was fun, and anyone who says different - BOO to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom