Mickey's Not So Scary Food & Wine Trip Report

The who: Me and my boyfriend
The what: His first trip to Disney World, my first time to MNSSHP & Food & Wine Festival.
The when: October 26th-November 1st
The where: Port Orleans French Quarter
The why: Because its the happiest place on earth
clip_image001.gif

We left chilly Philly bright and early on Friday October 26th and landed in sunny Orlando at around 9:25am. After we grabbed our luggage, it was off to the DME.
DSCF8105.jpg

After a short ride we finally arrived!!!!
DSCF6730.jpg

We made 2 stops before arriving at POFQ, first we stopped at Old Key West then it was Saratoga Springs. It took us about an hour from the time our flight landed at the gate to the time we stepped into POFQ.
DSCF6731.jpg

I had done the online check-in so we grabbed our packet and were surprised to know that our room was ready. Our room was located on the second floor of building 6, and we had a beautiful view of the Sassagoula River.
DSCF7807.jpg

After unpacking, we grabbed a bus to the Magic Kingdom and we were in the park by noon. Since we were starving, we grabbed a quick bite at Pecos Bill, we each had the bacon cheeseburger, a great way to start off the trip! Then it was onto my favorite ride, Pirates of the Caribbean. We headed towards Frontierland and saw that Splash was down, there was no water, and the CM said he did not know when it would be up and running. We continued clockwise around MK, riding Haunted Mansion and It's a Small World, each about a 10 minute wait. On IASM, I noticed a lot of AA's not working, and the ride was filthy with mold. There was a back up of boats to the entrance of the white room, so we were stuck listening to the song for an extra 10 minutes, my boyfriend was ready to jump ship! We made our way over to the FLE and asked a cast member if there were going to be any guest previews, he said that there are no definite times and to keep checking back, but that they are having previews each night for the MNSSHP guests. I finally got to meet Mickey at his new home in the front of the park, and I was surprised that there was no wait for him and the Princesses! After our quick visit with Mickey we went to grab the boat to Wilderness Lodge for our 5:30 dinner ressie at Artist Point. Because of the winds from hurricane Sandy, the boats were not running, so we jumped on a bus. We got to Wilderness Lodge early and decided to grab a drink at the pool bar.
DSCF6821.jpg

We walked around the resort and grabbed a rocking chair in front of the fireplace while we waited for the restaurant to open.
DSCF6822.jpg

We were using the deluxe dining plan so we each got an appetizer, entree, and dessert for each meal. If you enjoy good food, I would recommend this plan so you can try the signature restaurants on property.
Inside Artist Point. We had a seat right next to a window so we could look out at the grounds.
DSCF6826.jpg

Appetizers: Kettle Steamed Penn Cove Mussels & Confit Natural Bacon
DSCF6828.jpg

DSCF6829.jpg

Entrees: Pan-roasted Pacific Halibut & Cedar Plank-roasted Wild King Salmon
DSCF6830.jpg

DSCF6831.jpg

Dessert: Chocolate Mousse, Berry Cobbler
DSCF6832.jpg

DSCF6833.jpg

After dinner we took the bus back to Magic Kingdom to grab the bus to POFQ. Since we were up since 3am, we decided to make it an early night so we would be ready to go the next day. Saturday we had an early ADR at Kona Cafe at the Polynesian.
Bacon omlette & Tonga Toast!!
DSCF6834.jpg

DSCF6835.jpg

After breakfast we took the monorail over to MK and went directly to Frontierland since Splash was down the day before. When we got there, both Splash and BTMRR were down, cast members said that they were not sure what time they would open, and that if we got a fastpass, they would honor it at anytime throughout the day. We decided we would wait around, and by 9am, Splash was open. I was horrified to see the state that the ride was in, half of the AA's weren't working such as the fishing bird in the first scene he was bent over almost falling into the water, there were no bee's spinning around the beehives, no hopping br'er rabbit, no jumping water, the turtles weren't moving with the water, and there were missing AA's on the riverboat. We rode twice in a row with no wait, and when we were finished with Splash, BTMRR was open, we walked right on, there are still no moving rocks even after the long refurb! We visited the CBJ, even though I had watched the new version of the show on youtube, I was extremely let down with the new, shorter version. The theater was pretty packed but no one besides myself and one other person clapped along with the show. I was hoping they fixed the volume, but it was still really hard to hear, and I did not like some of the new fur and costumes on the bears. Without the dialogue it made no sense, and as we were leaving people were complaining about the missing songs. Over in Fantasyland, Winne the Pooh was closed the entire day, not sure why. We checked out Storybook Circus and I LOVED all the details, I think Disney did a great job with this section of the park.
DSCF6889.jpg

Some of the yummy treats available:
DSCF6891.jpg

DSCF6892.jpg

DSCF6893.jpg

Tinkerbell 8

Original Poster
There was only a 10 minute wait to meet Donald and Goofy, so we jumped in line. I loved their new costumes!!!
We headed over to Tomorrowland grabbed a fastpass for Space Mountain, and rode TTA. While waiting for our fastpass return time, I finally got to see PUSH the talking trash can!!
DSCF6918.jpg

We were able to grab a spot for the 3:00 parade, I was surprised that more people didn't stop to watch the parade, along Main Street was pretty empty. After the parade, we took the monorail over to the Grand Floridian for our ADR at Narcossees.
DSCF6980.jpg

Appetizers: North Carolina Buttermilk-fried oysters & Crispy Rhode Island Calamari
DSCF6989.jpg

DSCF6990.jpg

Entrees: Two pound steamed Maine lobster
DSCF6991.jpg

Dessert: Cheese plate & Chocolate mousse
DSCF6992.jpg

DSCF6993.jpg

We were able to make it over to the MK in time for the MSEP and Wishes, but Main Street was PACKED, so we had to stand along the path heading over to Tomorrowland. I was pretty upset that we couldn't get a good view of the parade, but we had an awesome view of the fireworks.
I was surprised that it only took us about 10 minutes to get out of MK, and we only waited for our bus for about 5 minutes, thankfully we were able to grab a seat because we were both exhausted after a 16 hour day. On Sunday we had an early ADR for Akershus at EPCOT. This year I had a much better experience here, the food was good and the character interaction was improved. We were done breakfast before the park had opened, so we made our way over to the Land to ride Soarin' and Living with the Land. We then went over to Figment and Captain EO, both had no waits. We were actually the only people on Figment. We made our way over to Mousegear where I was looking for 30th anniversary merchandise, there was only one design left for the Iphone cases (the spaceship earth one), 2 different pins, the mens retro shirt and the lanyard. We went to World Showcase as soon as they opened to start eating and drinking our way around the lagoon.
DSCF7034.jpg

We started in the Caribbean with the Jerk Spiced Chicken Drumstick with Mango Chutney
DSCF7105.jpg

Then to Australia for the Grilled Lamb Chop with Mint Pesto and Potato Crunchies
DSCF7106.jpg

We stopped for a drink in Mexico, the Fiesta margarita and the Patron margarita
DSCF7107.jpg

Belgium's Steamed Mussels in Hoegaarden Beer Broth
DSCF7140.jpg

France's Escargots Persillade en Brioche, Merlot, and Eiffel Sour Cosmo Slush
DSCF7145.jpg

Canada's famous Chedder Cheese Soup, red wine
DSCF7157.jpg

Spanakopita from Greece
DSCF7160.jpg

Kalua Pork Slider with Sweet and Sour Dole, Tuna Poke with Seaweed Salad and Lotus Root Chips from Hawaii
DSCF7163.jpg

Moet & Chandon Ice Imperial champagne
DSCF7164.jpg

Tinkerbell 8

Original Poster
To try to digest all that delicious food, we walked over to the festival center. I was surprised that they had run out of a lot of the F&W merchandise, including the stemless wine glasses that I had wanted. We made our way back to the Ghiradelli expo where we saw these amazing figures made out of chocolate
DSCF7166.jpg

DSCF7167.jpg

DSCF7168.jpg

DSCF7169.jpg

DSCF7170.jpg

DSCF7171.jpg

After visiting the Chase lounge, we walked back to WS, took the boat to the Boardwalk and walked around until our ADR at Flying Fish.
DSCF7197.jpg

This was my first time at the Boardwalk and at this restaurant. The food was good, but I was not thrilled with the restaurant. I noticed that the ferris wheel and the parachutes with the fish were not moving, and our waiter was very slow. I also did not care for the menu, I have a mushroom allergy and I was shocked to see that every item on the menu had mushrooms. I told our waiter about my allergy and he went and got the chef who I was surprised was very rude. She said that I should have told the restaurant when I made the reservation, however, I have never had an issue with this before. My allergy is not that sever, and I can have food the comes in contact with mushrooms, I just can't eat the actual mushroom, so I have never bothered to tell the restaurant since they always have food options without mushrooms, and the chef actually made me feel like I did something wrong by not telling them earlier.
Appetizers: Crispy Sesame and Togarashi-scented calamari, Crispy Maine coast Jonah crab cake
DSCF7202.jpg

DSCF7201.jpg

Entrees: Idaho Potato-wrapped Red Snapper, Surf & Surf (Grilled port canaveral swordfish, laughing bird shrimp scampi and scallop-crab mousse filled squash blossoms)
DSCF7203.jpg

DSCF7204.jpg

Dessert: 3 way chocolate, Peanut Butter and Jelly Creme Brulee
DSCF7205.jpg

DSCF7206.jpg

After dinner, we took the boat back to EPCOT to watch Illuminations. While waiting for the show to start, we heard cars being tested over at Test Track. We grabbed a seat on one of the planters as you walk from World Showcase to Future World, this was a great spot. We stood on the planter and had a great view, and we were able to make it out of the park ahead of the huge crowd.

Again we had a short wait for our bus, and we were once again able to grab a seat. On Monday we started the day off at Animal Kingdom Lodge with breakfast at Boma.
DSCF7255.jpg

DSCF7256.jpg

The buffet was just as good as I remember it, and we loved trying some of the African style dishes. After breakfast we went over to Animal Kingdom and went straight to the safari. There was less than a 15 minute wait for both the safari and everest. We saw the Festival of the Lion King, which was awesome as usual. We had time to kill so we rode Dinosaur, which is still a horrible ride in my book. Then we went back to Animal Kingdom lodge for dinner at Jiko. We were really early, so we decided to check out the hotel and we sat outside watching the animals on the savanna.
DSCF7421.jpg

It is an absolutely beautiful resort and I loved sitting in a rocking chair watching the giraffes and zebras just walk right past me.
DSCF7428.jpg

DSCF7440.jpg

Tinkerbell 8

Original Poster
Inside Jiko
DSCF7446.jpg

Appetizers: Duck Confit Flatbread, Taste of Africa
DSCF7451.jpg

DSCF7450.jpg

Entrees: Oak-grilled Filet Mignon
DSCF7453.jpg

Dessert: African chocolate, Apple Cheesecake
DSCF7454.jpg

DSCF7455.jpg

After dinner we called it an early night and went back to our hotel. On Tuesday we had breakfast at the Crystal Palace.
DSCF7472.jpg

Since we had done all the rides at the Magic Kingdom the first two days, we decided to head back over to EPCOT to try more of the food at the festival booths. We sat and enjoyed a few margaritas in the Mexico pavilion.
Blood Orange, Classic
DSCF7505.jpg

Passion Fruit, Jalapeno (this one was my favorite!!)
DSCF7507.jpg

We walked around world showcase stopping at a few more F&W festival booths.
Schofferhofer Grapefruit beer from Brewer's Collection (I'm not a beer person, but I really enjoyed this one)
DSCF7508.jpg

Cannoli al Cioccolato from Italy
DSCF7514.jpg

Linda Bean's Lobster Claw Cuddler chilled with Herb Mayonnaise, Linda Bean's Perfect Maine Lobster Roll
DSCF7516.jpg

After we were full, we took the monorail back over to Magic Kingdom for our dinner at California Grill. We had an amazing view of the Magic Kingdom and the Seven Seas Lagoon from our table and we were able to watch the sunset.
DSCF7573.jpg

Appetizers: Tuna 3 way, Spicy Kazan Roll
DSCF7569.jpg

DSCF7570.jpg

Entrees: Oak-fired Filet Mignon, Veal Chop
DSCF7571.jpg

DSCF7572.jpg

Dessert: Chocolate molten cake, Bananas and Caramel
DSCF7582.jpg

DSCF7583.jpg

Tinkerbell 8

Original Poster
After dinner we walked over to the Magic Kingdom for the MNSSHP. This was my first party and I did not dress up, but boy do I wish I did, some of those costumes were AMAZING! We stood in line to meet the seven dwarfs, and we walked over to the FLE where we were able to get a preview!! We walked inside the BOG restaurant and it was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!
DSCF7601.jpg

DSCF7603.jpg

DSCF7605.jpg

DSCF7607.jpg

DSCF7608.jpg

DSCF7609.jpg

DSCF7612.jpg

DSCF7614.jpg

The detail inside and all throughout the new Fantasyland were stunning.
DSCF7617.jpg

We rode the little mermaid and it was a great ride, the queue is breathtaking. We walked over to Main Street to grab a spot for the Villans mix and mingle. We watched HallowWishes, which is now my favorite fireworks show in Disney World, and then we watched the second Boo To You Parade, which was amazing. I LOVED the Country Bears and Haunted Mansion floats, and the performers were great!
DSCF7708.jpg

On Wednesday we decided to sleep in since we were up late at the MNSSHP the night before. We got to Hollywood Studios around 10. We rode TOT and RNRC then headed over to TSMM. We walked through One Man’s Dream and then watched the Muppets 3D. Out of all the 3D shows in Disney, I think this one needs the most work, I was surprised that the theater was half full. We decided to stop for a drink at 50’s Prime Time, the drinks were horrible, there was hardly any liquor in them, and the bartenders were very very slow. After our drinks we took the boat over to the Boardwalk for our ADR’s at Kouzzina. We LOVED this restaurant! I was surprised that it was only one DDP credit, the food was on par with some of the signatures that we ate at.
DSCF7921.jpg

Appetizers: Hummus with Shrimp, Fried Calamari
DSCF7923.jpg

DSCF7924.jpg

Bread with two kinds of olive oil and olives
DSCF7925.jpg

Entrees: Whole Yellow Snapper, Greek trio
DSCF7926.jpg

DSCF7927.jpg

Dessert: Chocolate molten cake, Greek donuts with hunny (this is a great combo, dipping the donuts in the warm chocolate was delicious!)
DSCF7928.jpg

DSCF7929.jpg

After dinner we walked back to Hollywood Studios to watch Fantasmic. I was happy to see the dragon was working pretty well. We sat near the back of the Scar section so we were able to make it out of there before most of the crowds.

Tinkerbell 8

Original Poster
On Thursday, our last day, we had breakfast at Cinderella’s Royal Table before the park opened. We were seated right next to a window that was looking directly at the carousel. We noticed that Belle was missing from the line up.
Danish plate:
DSCF8046.jpg

Entrees: Steak and eggs, French Toast
DSCF8047.jpg

DSCF8048.jpg

After breakfast we rode a few more rides then waited for Aloha Island to open so I could get my delicious pineapple float. For some reason they did not open for almost an hour after the times guide said they would open, and there was a mob of very angry guests waiting for their dole whips.
DSCF8068.jpg

We stopped at the Main Street Bakery for a sticky bun, then we said goodbye to the Magic Kingdom.
DSCF8080.jpg

We decided to take the boat from our hotel to DTD and we were surprised to see that over night they took down the Halloween decorations and put up all the Christmas decorations! We did some shopping then we had lunch at Capt’n Jacks.
Entrees: Roast Pork sandwich, Calamari and shrimp salad
DSCF8100-1.jpg

DSCF8101-1.jpg

We took the boat back to POFQ and waited for the DME. We were exhausted, but we had a great time. I can’t wait to plan another trip, this time to Disneyland Paris!

Allygator

Great TR!!! Love all the food pics! I think I am full from looking at them! So sad to hear about the rides down and non-working AA. BTMRR down as well?!? Geez that was a refurb in March. So was is your bf hooked on Disney now?? Happy to hear you had a great time!

Tinkerbell 8

Original Poster
I am 300 hundred pounds after reading this deliciousness!
Great Report!
Thanks! I'm surprised we were able to fit into our clothes by the end of the week!

The Meal you had at the California Grill looked Fabulous!
I LOVE Cali Grill, if you like sushi, you should go there, and the views of the Magic Kingdom and the Seven Seas Lagoon are amazing!

Great TR!!! Love all the food pics! I think I am full from looking at them! So sad to hear about the rides down and non-working AA. BTMRR down as well?!? Geez that was a refurb in March. So was is your bf hooked on Disney now?? Happy to hear you had a great time!
Thanks! I was surprised at the current state of some of the popular rides, I'm hoping they will be fixed soon! And yes, my boyfriend is now hooked on Disney, he was already planning our next trip to WDW when we were there, we loved the Boardwalk so thats our plan for next Christmas season.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I searched for Boma Breakfast photo's and your trip report popped. Couldn't help but read the entire trip report. Awesome food!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom