Mickey's Christmas Party

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
So, I didn't pay close attention last year since we weren't going, but it seems like the Christmas Parties at Disney started much earlier last year than the years prior. Do you think this is going to be a new thing from now on? Was the November 7th party successful enough to warrant starting it that early from now on? Thoughts?

drizgirl

So, I didn't pay close attention last year since we weren't going, but it seems like the Christmas Parties at Disney started much earlier last year than the years prior. Do you think this is going to be a new thing from now on? Was the November 7th party successful enough to warrant starting it that early from now on? Thoughts?

That's not true. MVMCP has started about a week after the last Halloween party for years.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
That would be pretty awesome! Not sure we could pull that off with school though, pesky attendance rules and all. :)

Yes when we go for Food & Wine time we try to schedule it to where we can do this and if not we go to one or the other. This year we will only be there during MVMCP 11/29-12/12 so we will go to that one. ;)

Eric B

Though I have been to MVMCP in 2009, 2011 and 2014, I have found that it appears to be less Christmas-y. Main Street is wonderful with all the decorations and lights, but as you venture into the rest of the park, it just looks like a normal night in the park. An odd candy cane projection on BTM, but nothing else. In 2014, the park had way more people in it and they were not ushering out people without a wristband. Standing in line to get hot chocolate and a cookie took forever as those without wristbands were in line as well. I am really disappointed with the value for money and found other parks such as Busch Gardens go over the top on Christmas decor. In fact, BG-Tampa probably has more lights in one park than all of the WDW resort area. Now don't get me wrong...I love me some Disney, but I think MVMCP lost its pizzazz and luster.

DisneyRoy

Though I have been to MVMCP in 2009, 2011 and 2014, I have found that it appears to be less Christmas-y. Main Street is wonderful with all the decorations and lights, but as you venture into the rest of the park, it just looks like a normal night in the park. An odd candy cane projection on BTM, but nothing else. In 2014, the park had way more people in it and they were not ushering out people without a wristband. Standing in line to get hot chocolate and a cookie took forever as those without wristbands were in line as well. I am really disappointed with the value for money and found other parks such as Busch Gardens go over the top on Christmas decor. In fact, BG-Tampa probably has more lights in one park than all of the WDW resort area. Now don't get me wrong...I love me some Disney, but I think MVMCP lost its pizzazz and luster.

I agree. We did MNSSHP for the first time last year. And the value we got with that far outweighs what we got with the Christmas party. The parade and treats were better. And the atmosphere throughout the park like you said was much better for Halloween than Christmas.

MickeyMomV

In 2014, the park had way more people in it and they were not ushering out people without a wristband. Standing in line to get hot chocolate and a cookie took forever as those without wristbands were in line as well. I am really disappointed with the value for money and found other parks such as Busch Gardens go over the top on Christmas decor..

We were at MVMCP's in 11 and 12 and MNSSHP in 13 and 15 and they were checking for wrist band at each and every party and you had to have a wrist band to ride a ride or get the "extras". We will be going to the MVMCP this year and hope they continue to check.

I agree. We did MNSSHP for the first time last year. And the value we got with that far outweighs what we got with the Christmas party. The parade and treats were better. And the atmosphere throughout the park like you said was much better for Halloween than Christmas.

I have to say the MNSSHP parade is by far our favorite!!!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
We were at MVMCP's in 11 and 12 and MNSSHP in 13 and 15 and they were checking for wrist band at each and every party and you had to have a wrist band to ride a ride or get the "extras". We will be going to the MVMCP this year and hope they continue to check.
I wonder how much longer they can continue to go without clearing the park of day guests before opening the party events...

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
We did MNSSHP in 12 I think? It was our favorite thing ever. We have never done the MVMCP though. We are looking to go back early November 2019 and are trying to decide if we want to spend Halloween in MK or space it for the MVMCP instead. Luckily we have time to decide. And we have to enjoy our June trip first!

MickeyMomV

I wonder how much longer they can continue to go without clearing the park of day guests before opening the party events...
They sell way too many tickets to be able to handle that sort of traffic at 7 PM.

I have actually been impressed with how they handle traffic on these nights. Unfortunately I don't think they will ever be able to clear the park and then do a reentry. In all reality you are looking at 10,000 to 20,000 people or more that you would have to make exit the park only to heard them all through the touch points again. Their current process still seems to work pretty good. You will always have those people that will hide out in the bathrooms and dark corners to avoid getting "swept" but there is only a limited number of things they can do without the band.

It does feel like with each party we go to the attendance gets higher and higher however it is still a fraction of what the day time attendance is and we get a lot more rides in.

On another note I'm pretty bummed right now. Our plan was to go to the MVMCP this year. I just looked at the 2016 calendar and the week we are going (Mon or Tues through Sunday of Thanksgiving week) was clear of any parties. I checked 2014 and 2015 and it was the same thing.:bawling:

drizgirl

I have actually been impressed with how they handle traffic on these nights. Unfortunately I don't think they will ever be able to clear the park and then do a reentry. In all reality you are looking at 10,000 to 20,000 people or more that you would have to make exit the park only to heard them all through the touch points again. Their current process still seems to work pretty good. You will always have those people that will hide out in the bathrooms and dark corners to avoid getting "swept" but there is only a limited number of things they can do without the band.

It does feel like with each party we go to the attendance gets higher and higher however it is still a fraction of what the day time attendance is and we get a lot more rides in.

On another note I'm pretty bummed right now. Our plan was to go to the MVMCP this year. I just looked at the 2016 calendar and the week we are going (Mon or Tues through Sunday of Thanksgiving week) was clear of any parties. I checked 2014 and 2015 and it was the same thing.:bawling:

Yeah, Thanksgiving week proper never has parties. It's too busy to close the park early. There's probably one Sunday night, but I'm guessing you plan to leave that day.

KrzyKtty

Original Poster

I think they avoid it that week due to the higher park attendance due to the holiday.

MickeyMomV

I think they avoid it that week due to the higher park attendance due to the holiday.
That and they probably have a fair amount of cast members from out of the area that request time off to go back home for the holiday. Not sure how they handle that......

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
That and they probably have a fair amount of cast members from out of the area that request time off to go back home for the holiday. Not sure how they handle that......
We are still talking about a company that fired almost and entire IT staff to replace them with in-sourced cheap labor. I highly doubt they allow employees request for time off during the holiday to impact park operations. They probably have a stupidly strict request for leave policy in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom