MickeyMed 7/25/2014 12 Night Cruise

DISNEY FANTASY

Original Poster
MickeyMed 12 night cruise July 26th Disney Magic.

magnet1
by Andrew D Porter, on Flickr

Friday Barcelona

Cruise

Saturday Barcelona, Spain
Sunday Villefranche (Nice), France
Monday La Spezia, Italy
Tuesday Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
Wednesday At Sea
Thursday At Sea
Friday Piraeus, Greece
Saturday Kusadasi, Turkey
Sunday Mykonos, Greek Isles
Monday At Sea
Tuesday Valetta, Malta
Wednesday At Sea
Thursday Barcelona, Spain

Friday Barcelona Spain

Med magnet blank2

Well here we all go yet again, seasoned cruisers, and platinum with Disney Cruise line, we are headed back to the Disney a magic again after being on the Wonder last year in Alaska and the Fantasy back to back in the Caribbean in 2012.

We live in London UK and have sailed with DCL in the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Baltic, Panama and as said before Alaska. This " booking / reservation" was booked on board in August 2012 and transferred to this Med cruise on release on 14th February 2013 for the best prices. We always use a DCL TA who have been good to us over the years they give some on board credit but have clout with DCL and sort out any problems very well giving me far more control.

For months of planning I have booked non DCL shore trips in every port of call for flexibility, to do what we want to do, sometimes to save money over cruise line port adventurers, but to avoid the tourist shops the tourist dinners that are poor and rushed like school, and have a local expert look after us personally.

I used shoreside concierge only a little in March this year just before our 120 booking window for Palo meals and dinner rotation, as said we have not booked any DCL shore trips on this cruise, Alaska last year was the same with six shore trips on the cruise all private in the three ports of call, two in each port, we saved a lot of Monet, had trips and flight times we wanted and had a lot of added benefits.

We have had an very active Facebook group everyone able to talk freely without moderation and plan for this twelve night cruise.

We Fly to Barcelona by BA ( British Airways) Club Europe, it's just a two hour flight. I have booked and pre paid a private transfer to hotel in city centre. This is a package this one cost €69 far cheaper than the DCL transfers overall and I have one booked on Saturday to the port and a tour on disembarkation. More later on that.

We have reservations at the hard rock Barcelona first night and then will walk La Rambala to the sea front and back.

So Saturday - we are in the hotel in the city, at the Hotel Jazz it's centrally located just a block from Placa Catalunya the tourist hub of Barcelona where for example the HOHOs start and a big train station. I have a private booked transfer to port embark Disney Magic.

So to the main even the Cruise

MedMagic
by Andrew D Porter, on Fli

Transfer 10am, check in, embarkation, see ship, find our room. We are in a midship Cat T the old Cat3s and we have an extended verandah for the use all cruise but we have for long sea days some around the Greek Islands do well worth it.

I understand from recent Med cruisers that the CD is Brent. Captain is Captain Robert, from the Netherlands. Angeline and Twanda appear to be the concierge hosts Angeline maybe ours port side. Entertainment includes for production shows and a ventriloquist, Kyle and Misty Magic we should get the premier of Guardians of the galaxy on our cruise.

Since our last cruise on the Magic, it had a refurbishment in September 2013, it had new features added such as the re-imagined Oceaneer’s Club,a new restaurant, Carioca’s , also the casual buffet; previously known as Topsiders that had breakfast and lunch Buffets, this venue is now known as Cabanas, similar to the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy. The Australian setting of the Disney-Pixar animated classic “Finding Nemo” inspires the décor with hints of the film’s fishy and feathered friends throughout the restaurant.

The options of food and beverage stations / Islands that are plentiful Lamb chops, chilled mussels and crab, swordfish, ribeye, salmon, and so much more. It was almost too much to choose from.

Water entertainment, the AquaDunk, a fast drop water slide over the edge of the ship, now on the pool deck, lots of fun was added. The classic Mickey Pool, that was shaped like Mickey Mouse, has been totally replaced by the 1,800-square foot AquaLab (ages 3 and up) and new Nephews’ Splash Zone (up to age 3) that stars Donald Duck’s mischievous nephews, Huey, Dewey and Louie.
The Mickey slide was replaced with the Twist n’ Spout water slide featuring 250 feet of sliding fun, loops and turns. Located adjacent to the Aqualab, it is a kid-friendly waterslide, a little less daunting than the monstrously exhilarating AquaDunk. I am not sure if I will go on Aquadunk, I did love and miss Aquaduck on the Fantasy.

Also the food places on deck have changed, – Eye Scream and Frozone Treats, 2 new quick-service venues. Originally debuting on the Disney Dream, Eye Scream offers up soft-serve ice cream (complimentary) and Frozone Treats mixes up refreshing, frozen fruit smoothies (nominal charge).

We requested MDR Rotation #3 which is as follows: CLACLACLAACL.

Animator’s Palate; has two dinner shows that displays during dinner, these will happen on the first two nights at Animator’s Palate on this rotation. Pirate Night is on Monday August 4th. (Sea day post Mykonos) Formal Night is on Wednesday July 30th (1st sea day post Rome) and Semi-Formal Night is on Tuesday August 5th. (Malta) The other two dinner rotations here.
Rotation #1: LACLACLACCLA
Rotation #2: ACLACLACLLAC

Rest is a mixture if what we know and based on former trip reports for 12 nights in the Med
Barcelona.

Suggested dinner attire: Cruise Casual
Menu: "Let the Magic Begin"

Villefranche:

Menu: Rotational Dinner (Lumiere's) (Animator's)(Carioca's.)
Villians Tonight!

La Spetzia.

Menu:rotational Show Dinner (Animator's)(Lumiere's)(Carioca's.)

Civitavecchia

Menu: rotational Island Dinner (Carioca's.)(Animator's)(Lumiere's)

Sea day 1

Suggested dinner attire: Formal Night
Menu: Prince/princess Menu
Show: Twice Charmed

Sea day 2

Menu: Bella Italia

Athens

Menu: Greek Menu
Show: The Dream Goes On

Kusadasi:

Menu: Mediterranean
Show: Mysteries of Anatolia

Mykonos

Menu:
Show: Scott Pepper (magician)

Sea day 3

Suggested dinner attire: Pirate
Menu: Pirate Menu.
Show: Once Upon a Song

Malta

Suggested dinner attire: Semi-Formal
Menu: Captain's Gala
Show: Alfred and Seymour!!!

Sea day 4

Menu:Till we Meet Again
Show: Dreams

Med magnet blank

We will go to our room at 1.30 when they open, check it out, and put our door magnets up and look out for our luggage to arrive.

Day 1 Barcelona, Spain -- depart 4:30 p.m.

Day 2 Villefranche (Monte Carlo, Cannes, Nice), France* 8:45 a.m. 6:30 p.m.

Private tour:-
Cannes Antibes and Mountain towns
http://www.kultours.fr/tourenuk.html
We are not sharing this tour with anyone and going to Cannes as we haven't been there before, we gave been to Nice, Grasse, Eze, and Monaco before.

Day 3 La Spezia (Florence, Pisa), Italy** 7:45 a.m. 7:30 p.m.
Private tour:-Cinque Terre
https://www.papillonservice.com/tours-from-la-spezia-port.php
Two people from our Facebook group asked to join us and we have a private guide in the Cinque Terre. We have been to Pisa, Floraence, and Lucca before do this us something new for us.

Day 4 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy 7:15 a.m. 6:45 p.m.
Rome
http://www.bestourofitaly.com/
Two other couples asked to join us so there will be right on this tour, we gave a private guide here for the Vatican

Day 5 At Sea -- --we have a Palo Brunch booked for three my daughter is now eighteen so her first time, I will arrange for my son to have room service or take him to cabanas.

Day 6 At Sea -- --nothing planned relaxing day on the verandah.

Dsy 7 Piraeus (Athens), Greece 8:00 a.m. 6:45 p.m.
Athens
https://www.athensbytaxi.com/
We have a couple joining us here so it will be six people.
I was last here twenty years ago but gave travelled all the main Greek Islands.

Day 8 Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey 7:30 a.m. 6:45 p.m.
Private tour:-Ephesus, Terrace houses, Virgin Mary house, Turkish real not tourist meal.
http://www.ephesustours.biz/
We have a private tour on our own and this has been pre paid in USA $.I last visited here twenty give years ago.

Day 9 Mykonos, Greece 7:30 a.m. 6:45 p.m.
Hired a jeep to tour island and go to Elia beach
Palo Dinner, platinum so free!

Day 10 At Sea -- --on the verandah Greek island cruising.

Day 11 Valletta, Malta 7:45 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Semi Private tour:- Malta
http://www.maltaonlineguide.com/about.html
Another family looking into the best guides for this island found I had already booked her do they join us today.

Day 12 At Sea -- --Palo brunch 2

Day 13 Barcelona, Spain disembark 8:30 a.m. --
Private tour:- Tossa Da Mar and Ginoa
http://www.barcelonadaytours.com/

Back to hotel Jazz for two nights.
Barcelona free days. But have booked Park Guell and Sagrada Famila.

Saturday 9th Flight home. BA Club Europe

Follow us live on http://mickeymed.blogspot.co.uk/

DISNEY FANTASY

Original Poster
A taster from the blog.

So we are in Barcelona, it's hot and a bit humid, tonight we went for a walk, went for a meal at the very busy Hard a Rock cafe. Then walked La Rambala, the famous market, so great to look at the fruit, the sweets/candy, fish and meat on sale. We walked to the old harbour Barcelonette, the gothic area and back.
It's very very busy tonight crowds everywhere.

Cruise port in the distance past the new bridge.

DISNEY FANTASY

Original Poster
OK the large photo files are eating into the Internet package it is fast but costly but for those who are following and can't wait a few random Images so far.

Beef last night Lumieres.

Platinum gift.

Platinum wine gift.

Villefrance.

Villefrance

St Paul De Vance

DISNEY FANTASY

Original Poster
Karl Holz is such a nice man,
Long story, but tonight he knocked on my stateroom door we had a conversation for maybe up to an hour, he is such a gentleman. It was a real honour to speak to him and for him to take interest in things that are important. He said it's all about relationship building, we had a quite deep conversation covering a lot of things. Privilege to speak to him.
Lots of updates today I can't post here as through one Internet package already so to upload to flicker then the posts takes a lot, but I will update the quality photos post cruise but we have a heck of a lot online.

DISNEY FANTASY

Original Poster
He is coming to our concierge meeting tomorrow evening, if I remember and get a chance I am going to ask him a few more questions, my brain is on vacation mode, so can forget.

He really is such a very very nice man.
It's funny how it was all set up.

I posted on my Facebook and blog that he was next door, my TA saw it and messages me and said " say hello" he is a very nice guy, well I messages my TA and said I can't do that he is the CEO and he is working, ( bar Mykonos day).
I put in a joke to my TA in correspondence to/ fro, tell him we are sorry if we are making too much noise.
Well my TA who has clout with DCL and is close friends with him, clearly contacted him and said my family was next door.
We came back from Rome at 4.40 I went to get a drink at the self service station and came back to Karl knocking on my stateroom door, he knew all about us and said jokingly you haven't made any noise.
We then spoke with concierge joining us till just before 6 pm,
He is a warm witty, nice and approachable guy, a highlight in my cruise so far, we had such a wide ranging discussion from European travellers, the ships itineraries, Alaska, Internet forums and people not posting correct information on them, and service and other cruise lines, " if" there is a change to castaway club rules on shore trips it could be down to me!
Sea day today we are relaxing and off to palo brunch within the hour, we had storms last night but didn't feel movement, it's cloudy with some sun and quite hot today.

DISNEY FANTASY

Original Poster
Messina straights 30th July.
Sea day one
We had a lay in and then went to brunch, it was great as usual. Then post brunch we saw a volcanic island to our starboard side, it was too early for Sicily so it was part of the chain of volcanically Islands before Sicily. We are going through the straights of Sicily about 2pm it only has four miles clearance overall, we have been going slow up to it, but they say transit and views will start from 2pm > 2.15pm.
Messina should be on our starboard and the mainland of Italy on our side, port.
The weather has been getting better and better bar a slight sower in the sun this morning when we were in Palo it's then got sunnier and the clouds cutting back and getting very hot. The pool decks are very full of people. The Internet has still been good even though we have been at sea and off the coast so far and everyone on so the Internet should have it's maximum use today following three port days. Everyone will be updating friends and family but the Internet is still very fast.
After the transit of Messina straights we will start to tuen East across the wide sea to the bottom of mainland Greece and up to Athens on Friday, it will get hotter and hotter.
Speaking with friends we all agree the service has got better, they have stepped it all up, now we have two VVIPs on we know one is the CEO Karl Holz so may explain the steps up service, but there is another in a concierge room, someone high up in Disney, we haven't worked it all out as of yet.
Concierge friends all agree the service has gone up as well, they are picking up on things we are saying and then delivering " magical moments" I am not going to post what as then they are no longer magical and expected, if I say. I got this everyone will then demand it as " included" just keep talking to concierge about your likes dislikes and what's important to you! any problems you may have any desires and you may be surprised what happens next.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

DISNEY FANTASY

Original Poster
Well it's hot hot hot feels like we are in a glasshouse, the IPad screen is dewing up as I write this. We have blue sky's with a few white clouds, very calm seas all around nearly glass like, and cruising slow at nine knots. Lots of activities across the ship, it was very quiet this morning after the lost of an hour Cabanas was nearly empty at 8.10 when I was in there. Cabanas works well. I did pop in there for a look at one dinner time, (Rome) it mainly was fast food stuff, chicken tenders fries etc with a basic salary bar and the only main entree seemed to be a car very roast, there were desserts but I would emphasise it was very basic and not a good alternative to the MDRs. Tonight we are in Animators for our second visit, ( ? Six nights gone already?) we have the animation magic show where you draw up a cartoon character within an outline spaces of head arms body and legs and it comes to life on screens. We did it on the Fantasy it's great fun. We have been asked to turn up early to do it as it's a standard menu of Prince and princess in all MDRs tonight.

I would post dome photos but it's just blue calm sea and nothing else. We should be seeing Greece soon the three fingers / peninsulas of the mainland before we turn North East for Athens on Friday.

I am currently typing this from Cove Cafe on the soft sofas there it's getting busier now as the day goes on.

PS the international ambassador with Brent is Arnaldo, he translates in the shows into Spanish the announcements Brent makes, but all shows are in English but some films have Spanish showings.

It's been a great cruise so far, I see we are looking at 32c in Athens tomorrow. The information on the TV screens has been updated, we didn't have this on the Wonder last year it plots hour by hour, temperature, sun, rain, wind, for our course.

As I look out it looks as if we have stopped, but actually if you look down you can see we are moving very very slow.

Concierge cocktail meet tonight in a Keys, a character will appear and also Karl Holz will join us, looking forward to it.

All the Magic now needs is a concierge lounge, maybe have it at the arcade deck nine and move the arcade. Or take over Palo for breakfast on all port days.

DISNEY FANTASY

Original Poster
Athens day

We have had a fantastic day in Greece today it was very hot at 35c and only a few odd clouds in the sky. We had a private tour and quite a few people on our cruise booked the same company, details at the top of the thread. Concierge guided us off the ship through the terminal which is used normally for ferris and cruises to the Greek Islands, our tour guide and driver were there for us, do far the easiest to find and then we were off. Our guide Georgia was fantastic, knowledgable, talking about Greece, history and background information. We had a great driver Demetri, a Liverpool FC supporter. So we had a quick transfer to the acropolis, Quick tip Children of the EU are normally privileged to free or reduced admission so take ID to prove their age and country if EU, it saved us over €25. That's at the Acropolis and the New Acropolis museum for example. So we were at the Acropolis quickly whilst open and dressy had some crowds there we got up fast with lots of space to see all the sights and it was only on the way back down we saw the 27 odd DCL coaches come up in groups, just think on the commission on that, it was noticeably busier and more crowded by then. We then had a city tour, then went to the new acropolis museum at the hottest part of the day. We then went to Monstraki for lunch and then the Greek agora. After a bit of shopping we drove to the highest point over the city and had breathtaking views. We were back around 5.30pm did some more shopping in the terminal and went on the ship. Tonight was Greek night on the ship, Greek food, Greek music playing. Live Greek band, characters dressed locally. The servers did a presentation dance in the gangways of the restaurant and invited cruisers up to Greek dance.

Tonight we have a Beetles tribute band in the WDT and the show times are 7 pm and 9 pm, it keeps changing in ports and entry times have varied from 45 mins before to 35 mins before tonight.

Far more updates on line in the blog.

Saturday is Kusadasi Turkey day and we have a deluxe tour all day including Ephesus. Great cruise so far.

DISNEY FANTASY

Original Poster
Kusadasi.

Due to cellphone and web Internet access today's report is limited and no photos until post cruise.

Weather today has been hot, from what we have seen we were lucky that the temperatures dropped today as it was partly cloudy, and therefore was a good touring day but still it was very very hot.

We left the ship at 7.40 am escorted off by concierge for speed and met our guide in the port terminal.

Our private tour included, Ephesus The House of Virgin Mary Terrace Houses. St Johns Basilica, Temple of Artemis. On arrival in port today there was a cruise ship in from Louise lines and later it went and at Princess cruises ship pulled aside us. So the Louise lines cruisers were already off and on tour.

We had a big van it could seat say ten people and it was just us four in the van with the driver and a personal guide who has had good reviews on trip advisor. We went straight to Ephesus, and went directly in, there were a few Louise line cruisers there but overall it wasn't too crowded some of the photos we got early on had no other people in them.

Ephesus is massive and very impressive what you see, we were guided around and shown the old way of life here when it was a port before it silted up. We visited the terrace houses that needs an extra admission ticket, that shows recent houses that have been excavated.

After Ephesus we got a horse and cart around to the entrance of Ephesus as we went one way from top to bottom some tours come in at the bottom and go around and miss a bit and leave the same way, we went one way and didn't miss anything. Our guide paid for the horse and cart, again we were lucky up and until the Library and odeon we were ahead of the crowds.

Then a quick ride to the Virgin Mary's house and again abut five people there on front of us and when we left the DCL tour buses were turning up, we counted up to 42 in Ephesus and Virgin Mary house. We went in the chapel, and around lit a cancel and drank the holy water there.

Then it was off to St Johns Basilica it was now getting very hot and we were pleased for the early start. All the buildings seen were very interesting and steeped in history.

We continued to the temple of Artemis that's basically one Column up but it has breathtaking views back up to St Johns.

We then drove to Serince a hill top village with bazaars and restaurants and we had lunch in what seemed to be someone's large house with lots of local Turkish food which was very nice. Our guide Banu joined us and all through this she was very informative and very caring, we were offered gifts, Turkish delight, water, a metal bath set, drinks, books all included.

We had free time to shop, later we went to a pottery and Turkish carpet presentation the pottery was interesting but a hard hard sell. The carpet presentation was interesting but a form no worked.

Post trip we went shopping in the Kusadasi bazaar and then went back on the ship. A great day and a loverly port of call, we have dinner tonight, which is a "Mediterranean" menu followed by film night.

The weather has just whipped up with a strong wind causing winds so it could well be choppy.

We are off to Mykonos tomorrow.

As I right this a Brent the CD has come on the ship PA as loud as possible, I think more directed to our close neighbouring ship the Princess ship, running down the benefits of DCL, the movie premier today, the Disney difference and the Beatles tribute in the entertainment bars. I think he was winding up the opposition. Well over half the cruise gone and we officially turn direction and turn back on ourselves now. A sign it's coming to an end.

DISNEY FANTASY

Original Poster
Sea day three. Currently we are away from any islands and sailing towards Malta it's hot and sunny with a strong breeze the sea is choppy but not felt on the pool decks as we are higher. Many cruisers have taken the opportunity to have a lay in, Cabanas was rather empty and there have not been too many cruisers on the pool deck. I have has a swim on my own in the Cove pool and a whirlpool on my own. A lazy day today after the hectic port intensive days. At Cove pool they have been very strict on reserving pool chairs with towels removed also a random strictness on under 18s one officer seems to like to enforce it in a Regis fashion but no one else does. As for the condition of the Magic on deck right there was a problem in the hallways where a sewage pipe was blocked. They dealt with it then washed the area including the carpet down making it soaking wet and then put dehumidifiers down to dry it out. These were very noisy. The location kept moving about maybe as people complained and post show last night ended up adjacent to our main bedroom making a noise. I spoke to guest services and they had been removed before I had reached the stateroom back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom