Mickey Rooney Dead at 93 Years Old

prberk

I think few young people today understand the importance of this man's career, especially in the early days. He was a consumate showman, even in the early days. He was a child actor who people identified with, and almost always came across on his films as positive. Walt Disney would have known him as a child actor, and I believe that his personna and performances in the Andy Hardy series, with Judy Garland, and other projects may well have help form Walt's expectations of his teens and young adults in the MMC serials and other projects as Walt ventured into more live action. What I mean is that Mickey Rooney set the standard for young actors of the day -- positive and energetic, yet a gentleman, on camera.

He later famously had 8 wives, and also later spoke to congress about abuse of the elderly; but overall he never really stopped taking roles that were uplifting and respectful.

Check out Boys Town if you have never seen it (a true story of a priest who founded an orphanage in Nebraska), or any of the Andy Hardy movies. Or The Black Stallion for later work.

All worth seeing.

For some interesting clips, check out Fandango's tribute page: http://www.fandango.com/movieblog/legendary-actor-mickey-rooney-dies-at-93-747723.html

It includes an episode of the great old TV game show, What's My Line, where celebrities usually tried to guess the line of work of the guest, but where every so often another celebrity appeared and they had to be blindfolded and guess who it is. Of course this time it is Mr. Rooney. It is fun to watch. A throw back to a simpler time.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I meant the general public, the ones he performed for. He was a universally loved actor IMO.

When I think of Mickey Rooney, I think of classic, old Hollywood. Hollywood's Golden Age actors such as him, Spencer Tracy, James Stewart, Judy Garland, Greta Garbo, Henry Fonda, and John Barrymore, (to name just a few here), paved the way in film, Broadway, and t.v. for future generations. Mickey Rooney's acting legacy will live on.

prberk

Unfortunately, they are now saying on the news that he died with only $18,000 in personal property, and he had disinherited his heirs; so now they are fighting over whose responsiblity it is to bury him. Not sure of the actual details, but that is sad. I know that he had testified a few years back in congress about elder abuse (caretakers or family misleading elderly and bilking them for their money).

I had actually forgotten about Pete's Dragon. Thanks, @5thGenTexan for the link.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom