Mickey Monitor: Entry 1 - New Epcot Pavilion

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I certainly like the idea of engaging Science and Technology Museums in whatever upgrades take place in Future World. Interesting that over the years Science Museums have adopted more of Disney's storytelling methods in their facilities.

Last night, I was thinking about the role of "story telling" in the pavilions. Whatever theme we work on, we need to figure out the story it is that we want to tell. In the case of my idea about a consumer electronics exhibit approach, it is somewhat like putting out a smorgasbord and allowing guests to sample the new ideas they are interested in.

On a different note, Neil deGrasse Tyson would be a good person to serve as a spokesperson for a pavilion. I would also toss out the idea of a planetarium at Epcot, or perhaps that concept could be incorporated into a new Horizons pavilion.
I think your Pavilion would be a great way to embody what Epcot stands for: Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. That could be the driving force of the story, in that, on display are experimental prototypes in consumer electronics that will propel the community of Tomorrow.

Also, if located in Innoventions, it would act as the "heart" of Epcot -- which would make sense that it embodies the true narrative of what Epcot is all about.

OvertheHorizon

If we are designing a World Showcase Pavilion (in addition to the Future World Pavilion we decide on) I'd recommend taking a look at this thread.

The last few pages of this thread have been very informative. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/possible-attraction-in-france-pavilion-epcot.923680/page-90
Thanks for sharing. Yes I remember seeing the signs announcing "new" pavilions that would be coming to World Showcase when I first visited Epcot in 1983. The restrooms were already constructed at the sites where Norway and Morocco were to be built. Others included Equatorial Africa, Spain and Israel. One of the things that has always fascinated me about World Showcase is the design for the lights as you walk around World Showcase Lagoon. As you go from one country to the next, the lights in front are designed to "fit in" with the country. If you haven't noticed before, it is worth a look on your next trip.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Might have said this before, but I'll have much more time this weekend to work on this. This week is a bit packed. I'm good with going in the Innoventions replacement direction though!

OvertheHorizon

Might have said this before, but I'll have much more time this weekend to work on this. This week is a bit packed. I'm good with going in the Innoventions replacement direction though!
Personally, I'd rather work on a more traditional pavilion. I think the Innoventions replacement, if we like the "consumer electronics show" concept, just involves clearing out existing space in Innoventions and figuring out how much space can be provided for corporate staffed booths.

I could get excited about: 1) New Horizons, 2) A planetarium pavilion, 3) New Wonders of Life, or 4) New Imaginations.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Personally, I'd rather work on a more traditional pavilion. I think the Innoventions replacement, if we like the "consumer electronics show" concept, just involves clearing out existing space in Innoventions and figuring out how much space can be provided for corporate staffed booths.

I could get excited about: 1) New Horizons, 2) A planetarium pavilion, 3) New Wonders of Life, or 4) New Imaginations.
No problem. I've done Wonders of Life and Imagination -- would be up for doing them again but seeing as the first choice is also my first choice...

I've never tried to make a New Horizons pavilion -- so if you're up for that I'd be glad to help!

OvertheHorizon

No problem. I've done Wonders of Life and Imagination -- would be up for doing them again but seeing as the first choice is also my first choice...

I've never tried to make a New Horizons pavilion -- so if you're up for that I'd be glad to help!
I think it would be fun to brainstorm it. But I don't want it to be just you and me working on it. If others aren't excited, then let them suggest what floats their boat. (I kinda felt that way about the Beauty and the Beast pavilion... early excitement and then nothing.) I've got some time through this weekend, then away for a few days next week. WHAT DO OTHERS THINK about a New Horizons pavilion? o_O

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I think it would be fun to brainstorm it. But I don't want it to be just you and me working on it. If others aren't excited, then let them suggest what floats their boat. (I kinda felt that way about the Beauty and the Beast pavilion... early excitement and then nothing.) I've got some time through this weekend, then away for a few days next week. WHAT DO OTHERS THINK about a New Horizons pavilion? o_O
@MonorailRed @FigmentPigments @kap91

QuillPenn

I certainly like the idea of bringing back Horizons. I was never fortunate enough to ride it, by the time I got to visit Epcot on my only trip to WDW in 2000, the pavilion had already closed. I remember seeing ads for Mission Space on the construction walls. Unfortunately because of this, I don't think I'd really be qualified to really do any work on any sort of Horizons project.

QuillPenn

You can ask other people who may have rode the attraction what it was like or watch the videos online.
S.P.E.W. I appreciate the vote of confidence, but given Horizons' cult status, and my lack of knowledge of the original attraction itself, I'd be very reluctant to make any changes, as I don't know what folks would want to stay, or what would need to be updated.

That being said, how does everyone feel about making the new Horizons official name be Horizons: Century IV?
It is my understanding that Horizons was originally going be called Century III, but the name was changed since imagineers were worried that international audiences wouldn't get the name.

Suchomimus

S.P.E.W. I appreciate the vote of confidence, but given Horizons' cult status, and my lack of knowledge of the original attraction itself, I'd be very reluctant to make any changes, as I don't know what folks would want to stay, or what would need to be updated.
I am very sorry to have waisted your time sir.

QuillPenn

I am very sorry to have waisted your time sir.
Don't worry, you haven't.

And Ironically, watching the video you posted as well as a couple others have actually given me a couple ideas. Like using a KUKA System, which I don't think has been done for a calm dark ride yet. Plus I'd love to see a scene that shows how we imagined the future in the LATE 20th century, which might even include a vision of the city from the original Horizons.

So if anything, S.P.E.W., I should be thanking you.:D

OvertheHorizon

I certainly like the idea of bringing back Horizons. I was never fortunate enough to ride it, by the time I got to visit Epcot on my only trip to WDW in 2000, the pavilion had already closed. I remember seeing ads for Mission Space on the construction walls. Unfortunately because of this, I don't think I'd really be qualified to really do any work on any sort of Horizons project.
Since the tore the original pavilion down, that gives us a blank canvas on which to imagine what a "New Horizons" might look like. What story is the most essential to tell regarding the innovations and vision for the future that we see just beyond the horizon? The original pavilion began with a look back at how "the future" had been imagined over the years from Jules Verne to "far out" images from the 1950s. Then it took us through a panorama video of current technologies, followed by imagining a farming city of the future, colonies in outer space, and living spaces under the sea. Some likened it to an updated Carousel of Progress, in the sense that while CoP looked back, Horizons looked ahead (both were originally sponsored by General Electric).

Just brainstorming here, but maybe a New Horizons looks at lifestyle issues from the perspective of innovative medicine, creative transportation, harnessing creativity to make our daily lives better. A tall order, I know.

But to your original post @QuillPenn I think it is critical to have voices and visions in this project that AREN'T constrained by what existed from 1983 - 1999.

OvertheHorizon

Just posting here to help remind myself for later. In 1982, John Naisbett wrote MEGATRENDS, in which he began to talk about the concept of the value of "high touch" in an increasingly "high tech" world. He wrote a follow-up book on the subject, which I need to order called High Tech/High Touch. This might be a worthy concept to explore for a New Horizons.

As I've noted earlier, it is the brainstorming part of this that appeals to me first... having a good idea of the story we are trying to tell, before we decide if the "attraction" is a slow moving dark ride, a movie, a thrilling coaster journey, or something completely different.

FigmentPigments

I will work on it with you. I honestly don't love the ride and never really understood the appeal, but that could be the challenge of it!:D I remember the One Sentence prompt and how we were task to make it better or completely redo the ride. It got my creative juices flowing on a subject I was not really interested in. So if other people are on board, I'll be there.

FigmentPigments

Just posting here to help remind myself for later. In 1982, John Naisbett wrote MEGATRENDS, in which he began to talk about the concept of the value of "high touch" in an increasingly "high tech" world. He wrote a follow-up book on the subject, which I need to order called High Tech/High Touch. This might be a worthy concept to explore for a New Horizons.

As I've noted earlier, it is the brainstorming part of this that appeals to me first... having a good idea of the story we are trying to tell, before we decide if the "attraction" is a slow moving dark ride, a movie, a thrilling coaster journey, or something completely different.
I definitely don't think coaster :hilarious: but I'd like to stay away from Spaceship Earth vehicles and the like. I'm interested the first couple of times but otherwise its a good place for a nap. Let's make it exciting, interactive, or immersive to keep people from dozing off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom