Mickey’s Halloween Party at Disneyland Park

disney4life2008

Original Poster
I just found out that I will be in Los Angeles for a few days in October for work. I will not have time to go to do a full 2 day visit to disneyland park; however, I see that Mickey's Halloween Party will take place on Friday, October 17. This is definitely doable with my work schedule that day. What is the disneyland party like? What attractions are open? I would rather spend my money going to Disneyland than the other tourist attractions in LA. Any and all information is helpful.

GiveMeTheMusic

The party is fun, but not quite on the level of MNSSHP - fireworks aren't as spectacular (although we do have a pretty rad flying character that can't be done at WDW!), and the "parade" is a pretty short cavalcade that doesn't compare to Boo to You. Other than that, lots of candy, characters and I believe most attractions are open - I can't remember anything being closed, especially the biggies (Indy, Pirates, mountains, Mansion, etc.).

PacNWTigger

When I went last year almost all of the rides were open, except Toontown was closed. The wait times are far more manageable because fewer people are allowed in the park than during the day. The trick or treating is fun, but be sure to wait at least an hour before going through the areas because it gets slammed with little ghouls right out of the gate. My DH and I were able to walk straight through trick or treat areas w/out lines as the evening went on.

The best suggestion I can give is to have dinner at the Carnation Cafe on Main Street at the time when non event ticket holders are exiting the park. It was a lot of fun to look at all of the costumes coming IN to the park, and not being in the mess of CM's trying to usher people out while letting others in. It's quite the dance they do for that, and they do it exceptionally well.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Also, because attractions aren't the primary reason most people go to the party, lines are pretty short.

When I went last year almost all of the rides were open, except Toontown was closed. The wait times are far more manageable because fewer people are allowed in the park than during the day. The trick or treating is fun, but be sure to wait at least an hour before going through the areas because it gets slammed with little ghouls right out of the gate. My DH and I were able to walk straight through trick or treat areas w/out lines as the evening went on.

The best suggestion I can give is to have dinner at the Carnation Cafe on Main Street at the time when non event ticket holders are exiting the park. It was a lot of fun to look at all of the costumes coming IN to the park, and not being in the mess of CM's trying to usher people out while letting others in. It's quite the dance they do for that, and they do it exceptionally well.

Thanks everyone. My primary reason would be the opposite to take in the rides vs the character greetings. It would be my first time at DL since I was 4 years old so being able to experience the park with smaller waits would be amazing. It would be a highlight if I were able to catch Fantasmic but I doubt it will run that night.

GiveMeTheMusic

Thanks everyone. My primary reason would be the opposite to take in the rides vs the character greetings. It would be my first time at DL since I was 4 years old so being able to experience the park with smaller waits would be amazing. It would be a highlight if I were able to catch Fantasmic but I doubt it will run that night.

Yeah, no Fantasmic during the party, just Halloween fireworks.

seahawk7

I really like DL for the Halloween party since it is smaller and has a unique charm. The last three years the party started at seven but they let people in around four so you could have three hours to tour the park before the party starts. Toontown does close early. I like the bread bowls at Royal Street Veranda. They are a substantial meal and you won't waste your time eating in a restaurant when you could be touring. The Haunted Mansion and New Orleans Square are nice to see before the sun goes down. It also gets chilly at night so take a light jacket.

famous-chowder-in-a-bread-bowl-royal-street-veranda.jpg

cheezbat

Personally, I find the Disneyland Halloween party to be more fun than Mickey's at the Magic Kingdom. While the fireworks show may be more grand and the meet n greets a bit more organized, I found more to do at DL than MK and the Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion holiday overlays are fantastic.

Get your tickets in advance...and have fun!

Magenta Panther

I really like DL for the Halloween party since it is smaller and has a unique charm. The last three years the party started at seven but they let people in around four so you could have three hours to tour the park before the party starts. Toontown does close early. I like the bread bowls at Royal Street Veranda. They are a substantial meal and you won't waste your time eating in a restaurant when you could be touring. The Haunted Mansion and New Orleans Square are nice to see before the sun goes down. It also gets chilly at night so take a light jacket.

famous-chowder-in-a-bread-bowl-royal-street-veranda.jpg

Excellent advice!

Figments Friend

Ticket already in hand...bought it last month.
Looking forward to my first DL Halloween Party experience ...on it's first night this season.
Having experienced the WDW version several times, i am interested to see how DL presents their version.

If you see someone dressed as 'Figment' walking around that first night...don't be shy.
Come over and say hello as it will likely be me !

:)

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Looking forward to my first DL Halloween Party experience ...on it's first night this season.
Having experienced the WDW version several times, i am interested to see how DL presents their version.

If you see someone dressed as 'Figment' walking around that first night...don't be shy.

I am still waiting for my work schedule while in LA. But I am 90 percent sure I can go the night of October 17. I will only be in the area a few days and I calculated that I am not interested in all the tourist spots that will drain my money. However, I will gladly spend $70 on a party ticket to go to DL :)

deix15x8

Be sure to let us know how they compare.

Figments Friend

Be sure to let us know how they compare.

I am sure i will have a few comments to share about the Halloween Party, but one thing i try not to do too often is 'compare' experiences between DL and the MK. Both Parks on both coasts are completely different experiences,in my mind.
I will admit however that there are certainly several 'better thans' and some 'not as goods' between the two Properties, but i like to try to keep a open mind when it comes to trying out something like this.

I am fairly certain i will love it....being really into Halloween in general...but it will indeed be interesting to see how DL handles the Event.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom