Miceage Update 12/1/2015

SSG

I looked at Disney Parks Blogs post on Halloween Time and saw zero mention of ToT

Perhaps, but the Disneyland webpage released info on Halloween Time a few days ago. It specifically mentioned ToT being part of the holiday fun:

Guests in search of Halloween chills may “drop in” to visit the ghostly full-time residents of The Twilight Zone™ Tower of Terror in Disney California Adventure. Here, in the remains of the Hollywood Tower Hotel, dwell the spirits of hotel guests who disappeared during a “supernatural” event on Halloween Night in 1939.

http://disneylandnews.com/wp-conten...resort-sept-9-through-oct-31.pdf?t=1468953295

Of course things can change, but right now the info put out by Disney conflicts with Mice Chat’s rumor. I guess we'll see.

GrizzlyAdams

Marvel, whatever... I like it and I'm sure a ride or two would be cool, but I don't really care about a whole "land." Especially since most is just contemporary landscape. Also, here's Walt's L.A. when he arrived in 1929... and on your left, Marvel land which had nothing to do with Disney. I'd prefer something classic Disney in part of this area at least.

Frozen expansion... I'm fine with but at what point do they look at their other successes? I know many complain about it's over saturation, but what about something like Zootopia? It made almost as much as Frozen. I know merchandise obviously favored Frozen, so there's the $$. But Frozen will eventually fade. Zootopia basically co-opted Richard Scarry and could last for decades if they expanded it.

BrianLo

So Mice Age says ToT “is now planned to close this September. The project is slated to take until next May to complete, and will require reconstruction of the existing exterior queue as well as heavy modification to the interior queue and ride system itself.”

While the Disneyland news release of July 13th described the Halloween Time events, including “the haunts who reside year-round at The Twilight Zone™ Tower of Terror invite guests to “drop in” at Disney California Adventure Park.”

I believe Spirit in a thread already alluded to the fact the Halloween marketing team was left completely in the dark by TDA planners. They were completely kept out of the loop that the DCA signature ride of Halloween was not going to be around. I think it's less a "plans change" as opposed to a right hand not communicating with the left.

BrianLo

Marvel, whatever... I like it and I'm sure a ride or two would be cool, but I don't really care about a whole "land." Especially since most is just contemporary landscape. Also, here's Walt's L.A. when he arrived in 1929... and on your left, Marvel land which had nothing to do with Disney. I'd prefer something classic Disney in part of this area at least.

Frozen expansion... I'm fine with but at what point do they look at their other successes? I know many complain about it's over saturation, but what about something like Zootopia? It made almost as much as Frozen. I know merchandise obviously favored Frozen, so there's the $$. But Frozen will eventually fade. Zootopia basically co-opted Richard Scarry and could last for decades if they expanded it.

Frozen is not really that saturated (if that is Mermaid). They have just cycled through a ton of temporary (excuse my french) crap. I see no issue with the E-ticket and stage show co-existing in different parks. Naturally a lot of the other junk has and is slowly being removed. Unlike OLC, I think the Frozen E is just going in with a small village offering to align more with Disneyland's cozy Fantasyland structure.

I loved Zootopia, but it's silly to assert that Frozen will go away and Zootopia will last for decades. I actually think it would be better aligned in an eventual third gate, whereas Frozen is more Fantasyland material. Besides, it just came out. These things take time (or in the realm of theme parks about 7 years).

SSG

I believe Spirit in a thread already alluded to the fact the Halloween marketing team was left completely in the dark by TDA planners. They were completely kept out of the loop that the DCA signature ride of Halloween was not going to be around. I think it's less a "plans change" as opposed to a right hand not communicating with the left.
Hmm, well I guess We'll see how this pans out in a few weeks. Should be interesting.

Phroobar

That makes sense. It happens all the time in cubicleland.

BrianLo

Hmm, well I guess We'll see how this pans out in a few weeks. Should be interesting.

Agreed. I think we've crossed the threshold of this being cancelled or changed. Too many big sources saying something is for sure happening less than two months out is a done deal in my mind. Even in the cold-feet world of Disney.

Mike S

Frozen is not really that saturated (if that is Mermaid). They have just cycled through a ton of temporary (excuse my french) crap. I see no issue with the E-ticket and stage show co-existing in different parks. Naturally a lot of the other junk has and is slowly being removed. Unlike OLC, I think the Frozen E is just going in with a small village offering to align more with Disneyland's cozy Fantasyland structure.

I loved Zootopia, but it's silly to assert that Frozen will go away and Zootopia will last for decades. I actually think it would be better aligned in an eventual third gate, whereas Frozen is more Fantasyland material. Besides, it just came out. These things take time (or in the realm of theme parks about 7 years).
The best idea I can come up with for a Zootopia attraction would be a resurrection of the Dick Tracy's Crimestoppers idea but with Nick & Judy in a new take on Toontown where it's basically a Fantasyland for the more recent Disney movies like Wreck-It Ralph* and of course Zootopia. Of course this would fit best in DHS.

*Now a franchise because of the upcoming sequel.

Phroobar

The best idea I can come up with for a Zootopia attraction would be a resurrection of the **** Tracy's Crimestoppers idea but with Nick & Judy in a new take on Toontown where it's basically a Fantasyland for the more recent Disney movies like Wreck-It Ralph* and of course Zootopia. Of course this would fit best in DHS.

*Now a franchise because of the upcoming sequel.
They could also clone your idea for Animal Kingdom and replace Riki's Planet Watch with a Zootopia ride. Imagine the train being replaced with a monorail that Judy takes to Zootopia. Out the windows you could see the different districts of Zootopia going by just like the Hogwarts Express ride.

Stevek

I don't think there is any way Disney couldn't open a Frozen attraction ahead of anything else recent in their pipeline. You are probably right about the size though I'm betting we'll get something more significant than what was shoehorned into Epcot. It's kinda like the Seas getting their cute little Nemo ride while DL got a much larger version...in a submarine.

lazyboy97o

While the Disneyland news release of July 13th described the Halloween Time events, including “the haunts who reside year-round at The Twilight Zone™ Tower of Terror invite guests to “drop in” at Disney California Adventure Park.”
Disney said rumors were unfounded and that PUSH the Trashcan was not going anywhere the day before announcing that effective immediately PUSH the Trashcan would no longer be in the parks.

BrianLo

You are probably right about the size though I'm betting we'll get something more significant than what was shoehorned into Epcot.

Oh yes, I didn't mean to imply the attraction itself wouldn't be a clone of Disney Sea's. Just that the mini-land attached should be a bit more small scale. OLC sounds like they are actually trying to increase the size of the land with the move from the expansion plot to what sounds like the parking lot between Arabian Coast and Lost River Delta.

If the overlay in Florida is any indication, as a new build this could be one of the best Fantasyland style E's around.

Changing topic, I'm kind of curious what the extra stuff that Disney is targeting beyond Star Wars, Frozen and Marvel entails. I really, really hope Tomorrowland goes under the knife, even if that's unbalancing the scales from what DCA deserves.

Phroobar

I hate Frozen as much as the next Frozen hater and wish it had never happened, but it's impossible to deny that everyone else eats it up. All you have to do is start playing that stupid song and it's like Beatle Mania. What's wrong with you people?
There was a movie I saw where scientists found a piece of music that turned people into zombies. They would lose all self control and smash things and hurt themselves. I think Disney found part of that music and put it in Let it Go.

GrizzlyAdams

It's not silly at all. You probably don't understand the Richard Scarry reference, but Zootopia has unlimited potential if they build out other characters while Frozen is self-contained to a sequel or two. I wasn't suggesting they drop Zoo on top of Fantasyland village, it was an example of other things they could do besides Frozen. Also, Frozen is not even 3 years old, and yes it's over saturated, whether you love it or not, that's many people's feelings. They also just opened a Broadway Frozen show at DCA if you haven't head.

Travel Junkie

OLC sounds like they are actually trying to increase the size of the land with the move from the expansion plot to what sounds like the parking lot between Arabian Coast and Lost River Delta.

I hadn't realized they moved locations. That does open up a large chunk of land, but it's hard to imagine more than 1 entrance/exit which would mean a crowd control nightmare. It would bring more people to what is typically a less trafficked corner of the park though.

If they wanted more room I wonder how much expense there would be to reroute the Monorail and that road behind the expansion pad. The Monorail could cut across just behind the Sheraton and use the parking lot behind the expansion pad. Or they could work around the Monorail and enclose it with mountains kind of like the train through Splash Mountain.

Rich T

I hate Frozen as much as the next Frozen hater and wish it had never happened, but it's impossible to deny that everyone else eats it up. All you have to do is start playing that stupid song and it's like Beatle Mania. What's wrong with you people?
LOL. Okay, please, I'm sincerely asking why you hate Frozen so much. Set aside the hype and the ridiculous overuse of "Let it Go" in every show and parade in the parks. Set aside the Maelstrom thing--that's not the movie's fault. I'm just curious as to why some people actually despise the film. Not just "don't care for it," but actually hate it and get angry about it.

From my point of view, it was a lot of fun and a very solid film. The characters were likable, and one--Sven--was wonderful. One of the songs was great, three were good, two were meh, one was atrocious. (Spoilers) It's a movie with two princesses where NO ONE gets married at the end. That's awesome. It had a great, unexpected plot twist that pulled the rug out from under the Prince Charming stereotype.

My only real complaint about Frozen (the film) is that it has no real visual style--it looks about as generic "Disney" as you can get. Oh, and the story does not stand up to any kind of close inspection, but that's true of Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Cinderella, Jungle Book, Tangled and many more. Within the context of a fast-paced animated fairy tale, it works.

Believe me, I can't stand being surrounded by 20,000 people singing "Let it Go," a great song which has unfortunately become the responsibility-shirking teenage self-pity anthem for a whole generation. But how does this sweet, funny little fairy tale deserve to be hated so much? To the point where you "Wish it had never happened?" What? Really? :D

Californian Elitist

I don't think I hate Frozen, I mainly hate the hype. It was mediocre, at best.

What really annoyed me were the critics. Someone, somewhere, gave the opinion that Frozen was the best Disney animated feature since The Lion King, which is COMICAL. I can think of multiple films that were released during that 20-year period that were better than Frozen. Tarzan, Mulan, Huncback of Notre Dame, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog...come on now.

I was not impressed with Frozen's music at all. The only song I enjoy from that film is "Reindeer(s) are Better than People," or whatever it's called, and it's probably not even a minute long. I knew Hans was a villain from the moment he appeared on the screen. The previews had pretty much established Kristoff was Anna's love interest. Two serious love interests? I couldn't see that happening. Speaking of Anna, I find her annoying. I was much more interested in Elsa, and the writers refused to give her a backstory or enough screen time in general. Olaf is annoying, Hans is annoying and makes a terrible villain, the trolls, eh.

Everyone likes to mention Anna and Elsa's bond and how they're each other's true love and all that. I found Lilo and Stitch tackled the theme of sisterhood much better than Frozen, as Lilo and Nani actually struggled and suffered through real-life issues.

Frozen is not good, but because it made so much money, we get to see it pop up everywhere. Yay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom