Miceage - Tomorrowland aesthetic update greenlighted

TP2000

Original Poster
The following "Editor's Note" popped up on the front page of Miceage today. It seems the backlog of frozen projects is breaking free just a bit. It isn't Star Wars Land yet, but it's a start. Here's what the note says if you go to Miceage.com today...

"Editor’s Note:
January 3, 2014: Star Wars-ish: Just before Burbank executives left town for their Christmas vacations, TDA was given the greenlight on a few modest budget items breaking the full-stop on most WDI projects back in November. The aesthetic re-skin of most Tomorrowland facades for 2014 into a new "Spaceport" theme has now been approved and funded. No new rides are involved, and the Astro Orbiter gets torn out to await its rebirth as part of Star Wars Land, but the remnants of New Tomorrowland 1998 in the front half of the land all get removed. The big Soarin' HD rehab is still a go this winter, but the plans for the 60th didn't fare as well as they will go with a cheaper celebration for '15 that's heavy on nostalgia and light on substance."

Hmm.... I won't miss that Astro Orbiter thing clogging up the walkway at the entrance to Tomorrowland. I guess now that Tony Baxter has retired they have the guts to go in and rip out that rare mistake in Tony's career. It can't come soon enough!

And man am I looking forward to Soarin' HD!

I wasn't expecting much for the 60th Anniversary (not a huge milestone one anyway), so I'm just sort of whatever on the plans for a cheaper nostalgia party next year. I'm over the constant "CELEBRATION!" mode that Disney always wants to put their theme parks into, so a cheaped out 60th doesn't concern me much.

lazyboy97o

Why would they suddenly have the guts to rip out a Baxter project? He had plenty of enemies, including the Inagineer who oversaw the Disneyland Resort at the end of his career, and knew that Tomorrowland was a poor project.

The descriptions still sound very mundane. Expected and easy, not exciting or different. Very contemporary Disney.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Hmpf. I think this is a 'whatever.'

If this is the best Disney can do so be it, do we really expect more of Disney anymore? I wasn't surprised when Disney froze imagineering projects and still wouldn't be surprised if they re-yanked these Christmas tokens. Iger is Scrooge now and these little tokens are just demonstrating his lack of dedication to the parks.

Lame Duck that had his contract unexpected extended. Joy Joy, more time to spread mediocrity.

Californian Elitist

Which part makes you sick? Disneyland's Tomorrowland is a complete embarrassment. Loss of Astro Orbiter may be disappointing. What they really need to do is add an attraction, or 4, to the land. It's nothing more than a walkway right now.

I completely agree that our Tomorrowland is a joke/mess, but turning it into Star Wars Land isn't the answer, in my opinion. That's what makes me sick.

I disagree in regards to attractions. For the most part, the attraction line-up is fine. It's the lack of aesthetics that's the main problem.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I disagree in regards to attractions. For the most part, the attraction line-up is fine. It's the lack of aesthetics that's the main problem.

Eeek. Antiquated race cars, Stitch, Buzz that has more broken elements than working. Laugh that is cute but not repeatable, People Mover that needs major mechanical help, the place needs so much more than a cosmetic facelift. Basically it has Space and Cosmic Rays. It needs CPR not TLC.

lazyboy97o

Eeek. Antiquated race cars, Stitch, Buzz that has more broken elements than working. Laugh that is cute but not repeatable, People Mover that needs major mechanical help, the place needs so much more than a cosmetic facelift. Basically it has Space and Cosmic Rays. It needs CPR not TLC.
That's the Magic Kingdom, not Disneyland...

Californian Elitist

Wrong Tomorrowland.

kap91

MK's Tomorrowland is the opposite... looks better visually, but every attraction (except Astro Orbiter if the planets are spinning) is deficient in some way.

Are we talking about the same tomorrowland? Disneyland's is way prettier than the MK - murals, textured walls, lagoons, tons of trees, four attractions weaving among each other and actual architecture - we've got 70's show buildings ripped of their original facades - painted purple and with some added sheet metal - oh and lots of concrete and 2 good attractions

The only thing wrong with Disneyland's tomorrowland us the unused people mover track and innoventions. I personally hope their Star Wars land plans are cancelled for good. A Star Wars ride is fine but tearing up some of the most beautiful landscape in the park (and absolutely brilliant layout design) to add an entire land based on a non-Disney franchise in a park that has always been about general themes is heresy. Star Wars land belongs at DHS or a new park. If all they're getting now is some updated looks I'll say they dodged a bullet.

Cosmic Commando

Are we talking about the same tomorrowland? Disneyland's is way prettier than the MK - murals, textured walls, lagoons, tons of trees, four attractions weaving among each other and actual architecture - we've got 70's show buildings ripped of their original facades - painted purple and with some added sheet metal - oh and lots of concrete and 2 good attractions

The only thing wrong with Disneyland's tomorrowland us the unused people mover track and innoventions. I personally hope their Star Wars land plans are cancelled for good. A Star Wars ride is fine but tearing up some of the most beautiful landscape in the park (and absolutely brilliant layout design) to add an entire land based on a non-Disney franchise in a park that has always been about general themes is heresy. Star Wars land belongs at DHS or a new park. If all they're getting now is some updated looks I'll say they dodged a bullet.
I like the murals, but I don't think there's anything at all special about the rest of the visuals in DL's Tomorrowland. I'll take the entrance arch, the Avenue of the Planets look, the decked-out Astro Orbiter and the big Space Mountain in MK any day.

Cosmic Commando

If MK's is aesthetically worse than DL's, then I'm scared.
It's not perfect, but it's better than DL's.

tomorrowlandMK.jpg

TP2000

Original Poster
MiceAge/Chat is a Disneyland-focused site, so they mainly report things that cater to Disneyland folk. There's no mention of WDW in the note.

The other hint for our friends here is that I posted this topic in the Disneyland section. (I had to double check after all this Magic Kingdom confusion).

This is a topic about Disneyland's Tomorrowland. In the Disneyland section of the forum. In California. In Anaheim. Where Walt built his park. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom