MiceAge Rumor: Disney Jr. Closing In April '17 - Marvel Plans???

BrianLo

I guess for me, the biggest question I have is what could Disney have accomplished if they weren't having for focus on SW and Marvel in their parks? Especially at WDW.

Isn't WDW the opposite example? Their most recent offerings are New Fantasyland... and Frozen. So I guess that's what happened when they weren't focused on SW/Marvel.

WDW's mess extends far beyond their IP choices, obviously. The positive with them holding out on those 90's franchises for DL is that by the time they get around to it a lot of the useless fat at WDI has been cut away. Push over Tom Staggs is also long gone. Less little Mermaid omnimover C-tickets, truncated Snow White D-tickets and more B&TB LPS E-tickets please.

For people truly pining over the renaissance films, save up for a Tokyo trip next decade. Aladdin, Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast are all well serviced.

yookeroo

Why should he be creative? Well, for me at least, its because he runs a creative company! One of the biggest and best in the world. You'd kinda want the guy at the top to have at least a little creative sensibility.

Being a creative guy and running an international entertainment powerhouse are very different skill sets. I doubt Walt himself would've been able to handle it.

And that's kind of my point. All Iger cares about is money, making more money, and spending said money on acquiring outside companies to further drive Disney's own creativity out.

Things like Star Wars Land is Disney's own creativity. The IP didn't originate with Disney, but the new stuff is being created by Disney. Plus we're in a third golden age for Disney animation.

Fans need to stop thinking Star Wars and Marvel aren't "Disney". They are now.

One final thought before I bow out for the day. Disney could sure use a lesson in balance.

For every new land and attraction based on an IP...something original.
For every sequel or live-action remake of an animated movie...something original.
For every money making up-charge...reduce the cost of something else.

Now, I realize that's a lofty goal to have. Heck, I'd settle for one original for every 3 non-originals. But even that doesn't seem to be happening. And that's what disappoints me more than anything.

I get this. And tend to agree with it. More original ideas in the parks would be awesome. Less reliance on sequels live action remakes too. But even within those parameters, they've done a pretty good job creatively. Given the demands and pressures on Iger and the rest of management, I'm not gonna complain too much.

Curious Constance

#AlternativeFacts

upload_2017-1-27_15-35-7.png

Earl Sweatpants

Walt hasn't been alive for 50 years, and his company wasn't nearly as large as the size of the company today. So it's not really fair to compare the two.
Also, it's not like Bob has all the money in the world at his disposal to do whatever he likes with it. I'm sure before green lighting a project, Bob has to prove to the board that it's going to make money and be worth the investment. Imagine if Bob took a Star Wars no brainer project to the board, and a separate, original, risky idea. Which do you think they are going to go for?
I'm sure in Bob's mind, he feels that he's showing tremendous respect and concern for the parks given the billions of dollars that have gone into since his appointment. You can't expect him to have all the same ideas that die hard Disney fans have as to what the parks should be.
See but you're already assuming that an original idea is "risky". Where does that come from?? Something tells me that if WDI tried pitching Haunted Mansion today, they'd have no chance of getting it off the ground cause there aren't enough money making opportunities in it. And that's still one of the best rides in the park almost 45 years later.

Curious Constance

See but you're already assuming that an original idea is "risky". Where does that come from?? Something tells me that if WDI tried pitching Haunted Mansion today, they'd have no chance of getting it off the ground cause there aren't enough money making opportunities in it. And that's still one of the best rides in the park almost 45 years later.

I'm not assuming anything is risky, I was imaging the board of directors and Bob's feelings on the matter. You're getting Bob the man, and Bob the business man confused. Bob the business man has to bring things to the board that are slam dunks, not just in it's popularity at the parks, but he'd probably have to also show that they will be able to push merchandise and also be cross promoters for upcoming movies. When you add all of that synergistic goodness up,no sound business man would be able to pass that up. They wouldn't even have reason to look at other options. In today's world, to be the best, you may have to leave personal feelings aside. We don't know what Bob's personal feelings on the park's direction are, and to me it's really irrelevant. He may not care about the parks at all, or he may love them and feel like he's doing wonders for them. What he is doing though, is his job, and he's doing a really good job at it from a business stand point even if everyone doesn't agree on the direction things are moving. What I'm really happy about it he is finding lots of opportunity to invest in the parks, in lots of different, varied ways.

Earl Sweatpants

I'm not assuming anything is risky, I was imaging the board of directors and Bob's feelings on the matter. You're getting Bob the man, and Bob the business man confused. Bob the business man has to bring things to the board that are slam dunks, not just in it's popularity at the parks, but he'd probably have to also show that they will be able to push merchandise and also be cross promoters for upcoming movies. When you add all of that synergistic goodness up,no sound business man would be able to pass that up. They wouldn't even have reason to look at other options. In today's world, to be the best, you may have to leave personal feelings aside. We don't know what Bob's personal feelings on the park's direction are, and to me it's really irrelevant. He may not care about the parks at all, or he may love them and feel like he's doing wonders for them. What he is doing though, is his job, and he's doing a really good job at it from a business stand point even if everyone doesn't agree on the direction things are moving. What I'm really happy about it he is finding lots of opportunity to invest in the parks, in lots of different, varied ways.
Fair enough.

I'm really not arguing for the sake of arguing. Admittedly yes, Iger took the inherited mess from Eisner and managed to bolster the companies finances and output in great amounts. He truly is a great business man.

On the other hand, has he left a lot to be desired creatively for me? Yes. And I'm fine leaving it at that.

Curious Constance

Fair enough.

I'm really not arguing for the sake of arguing. Admittedly yes, Iger took the inherited mess from Eisner and managed to bolster the companies finances and output in great amounts. He truly is a great business man.

On the other hand, has he left a lot to be desired creatively for me? Yes. And I'm fine leaving it at that.

End of amicable discussion high five?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom