MiceAge Rumor: Disney Jr. Closing In April '17 - Marvel Plans???

Earl Sweatpants

I'm curious what made you fall in love with Disney? For me it was the parks and the movies. Both of which have been wildly successful under Bob Iger. Not just the franchise movies and the live action rehashes but also the nature movies and small movies like Queen of Katwe. Right now the parks are focused on Star Wars and Marvel but Bob Iger also gave us DCA 2.0 and extensive Fantasyland refurbishments and the Hat Box Gohst . As for Disney being a huge soulless corporation that answers first and foremost to its investors...? It's literally been that kind of a company my whole life. I wasn't alive when Walt was so i never experienced Disney as he envisioned it. I came of age while Eisner was in charge. I didn't know it as a kid but the company I was falling in love with was already a soulless toxic greedy corporate monster. As an adult I choose not to focus of the corporate culture of Disney and just enjoy the parks and the movies with the same innocent point of view that I had as a kid.
I guess for me, the biggest question I have is what could Disney have accomplished if they weren't having for focus on SW and Marvel in their parks? Especially at WDW. Epcot is in ruins, and DHS is vastly in need of some love. Also just to reiterate something I posted earlier, I DO understand their drive to synergize, I just wish they could balance it out with making something new that didn't have a movie tie-in.

I wish Queen of Katwe had had even a tenth of the marketing push that other Disney movies got last year. I don't recall seeing a single advert. Not surprisingly, it tanked at the BO.

D

Deleted member 107043

Ya no thanks to the spinner haha. That would seem like a solid way to kill any Adventureland theming. I wasn't a huge fan of the show, I left half way through. Couldn't do it and can't stand lip syncing.

Fair enough, but the point is that you can't say Aladdin attractions don't or have not existed. I get that you didn't care for the show, but everything the Walt Disney Company makes isn't going to be tailor made for everyone's tastes.

In regard to Iger putting revenue ahead of creativity, I am old enough to clearly remember when Disney was literally on the precipice of collapse and being threatened by investors making attempts to take over the company. This happened in part because at the time Walt Disney Productions was considerably undervalued as the result of management failing to exploit its valuable assets. You can read more about that here:

http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1053&context=stu_hon_theses

Those were very dark times for Disneyland fans. So, say what you will about Eisner and Iger, but the former saved the company by exploiting and expanding its resources, and the former built on that strategy and transformed the organization into a global multimedia powerhouse.

mickEblu

I'm curious what made you fall in love with Disney? For me it was the parks and the movies. Both of which have been wildly successful under Bob Iger. Not just the franchise movies and the live action rehashes but also the nature movies and small movies like Queen of Katwe. Right now the parks are focused on Star Wars and Marvel but Bob Iger also gave us DCA 2.0 and extensive Fantasyland refurbishments and the Hat Box Gohst . As for Disney being a huge soulless corporation that answers first and foremost to its investors...? It's literally been that kind of a company my whole life. I wasn't alive when Walt was so i never experienced Disney as he envisioned it. I came of age while Eisner was in charge. I didn't know it as a kid but the company I was falling in love with was already a soulless toxic greedy corporate monster. As an adult I choose not to focus of the corporate culture of Disney and just enjoy the parks and the movies with the same innocent point of view that I had as a kid.

I fell in love for the Same reasons you mention. My point is that the second that one of us tries to fantasize or suggest an original attraction at the park or a new big budget attraction based on a Disney IP we instantly hear, "that won't make the company money." It's like ok let's just discuss synergy and what the shareholders want. That's fun.

mickEblu

Fair enough, but the point is that you can't say Aladdin attractions don't or have not existed. I get that you didn't care for the show, but everything the Walt Disney Company makes isn't going to be tailor made for everyone's tastes.

In regard to Iger putting revenue ahead of creativity, I am old enough to clearly remember when Disney was literally on the precipice of collapse and being threatened by investors making attempts to take over the company. This happened in part because at the time Walt Disney Productions was considerably undervalued as the result of management failing to exploit its assets. You can read more about that here:

http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1053&context=stu_hon_theses

Those were very dark times for Disneyland fans. So, say what you will about Eisner and Iger, but the former saved the company by exploiting and expanding its resources, and the former built on that strategy and transformed the organization into a global multimedia powerhouse.

Iger is doing his job and doing it well. Would it be great if we had the second coming of Walt at the helm or someone Creative at all ? Of course. I don't think I've ever once downtalked Iger. I would take Iger over what was going on on in the early 80s any time. But thats also comparing to possibly the darkest time in the history of the company. I recently watched Waking Sleeping Beauty because someone here recommended it and it showcased whats in the article link you shared.

Last edited:

Earl Sweatpants

Iger is doing his job and doing it well. Would it be great if we had the second coming of Walt at the helm or someone that Creative at all ? Of course. I don't think I've ever once downtalked Iger. I would take Iger over what was going on on in the early 80s any time. But thats also compring to possibly the darkest time in the history of the company. I recently watched Waking Sleeping Beauty because someone here recommned it and it showcased whats in the article link you shared.

One of the best documentaries around! Also, watch The Boys (The Sherman Bros story). Prepare to have tissues close by.

Earl Sweatpants

One final thought before I bow out for the day. Disney could sure use a lesson in balance.

For every new land and attraction based on an IP...something original.
For every sequel or live-action remake of an animated movie...something original.
For every money making up-charge...reduce the cost of something else.

Now, I realize that's a lofty goal to have. Heck, I'd settle for one original for every 3 non-originals. But even that doesn't seem to be happening. And that's what disappoints me more than anything.

SSG

I fell in love for the Same reasons you mention. My point is that the second that one of us tries to fantasize or suggest an original attraction at the park or a new big budget attraction based on a Disney IP we instantly hear, "that won't make the company money." It's like ok let's just discuss synergy and what the shareholders want. That's fun.
Speaking for myself, I’m waiting for the next Disney attraction to be called Synergy. It’s basically a chaotic drop ride/Wild Mouse that sends you careening around animatronics of Mickey, the Princesses, Star Wars, Marvel and Pixar characters, while you are shown clips of the latest Disney movie offerings. The final drop spills you into a gift shop/meet & greet/churro stand/Max Pass tech support zone.

Earl Sweatpants

Speaking for myself, I’m waiting for the next Disney attraction to be called Synergy. It’s basically a chaotic drop ride/Wild Mouse that sends you careening around animatronics of Mickey, the Princesses, Star Wars, Marvel and Pixar characters, while you are shown clips of the latest Disney movie offerings. The final drop spills you into a gift shop/meet & greet/churro stand/Max Pass tech support zone.
shhhh....don't give them ideas. ;)

mickEblu

LOL. That would be amazing. Love the use of the word "spills." Hahahah

mickEblu

In a perfect world the new Tommorowland would be so original cutting edge innovative that it would make up for the last 20 years of IP synergy. But in reality I'm looking forward to the Big Hero Six, Wreck It Ralph land we're likely going to get.

I mentioned that in a post yesterday. If they are super ambitious and original with TL that would balance everything out.

I would like to imagine that this is why they didnt decide to go with any Marvel or Star Wars in TL permanently. I mean we have to give them credit for that right? That they didn't take the easy way out and "fix" TL with either of those IPs

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

In a perfect world the new Tommorowland would be so original cutting edge innovative that it would make up for the last 20 years of IP synergy. But in reality I'm looking forward to the Big Hero Six, Wreck It Ralph land we're likely going to get.

???

When and where did Big Hero 6 and Wreck-It-Ralph replacement for Tomorrowland come from?

There's no logic to that rumor, and its most likely not happening.

Antaundra

I was intentionally trying to give the most ridiculous example of what Disney might do with Tomorrowland. Out of place IPs that don't fit the theme as opposed to an innovative original land.

Sorry if that didn't come across.

D

Deleted member 107043

Would it be great if we had the second coming of Walt at the helm or someone Creative at all ? Of course.

It would be if you're trying to run a strictly creative enterprise, but that's not Disney's primary focus today. The company includes several innovative and creative businesses, but it's primary function is delivering entertainment content via various channels including theme parks, online media, films, and television. Understanding this distinction is important, and one that park fans conveniently overlook.

Wikipedia description of The Walt Disney Company:

The Walt Disney Company, commonly known as Disney, is an American diversified multinational mass media and entertainment conglomerate headquartered at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, California. It is the world's second largest media conglomerate in terms of revenue, after Comcast.

Curious Constance

Which basically flies in the face of everything Walt Disney originally stood for.

Look, I know we're not gonna agree on this and that's fine. I'll even go as far as to admit that I am happy with where Disney has grown financially. I just wish that for every shoehorned, synergistic, IP inclusion he is allowing to dominate the parks, we were getting even a taste of something original to balance it out. Something that maybe showed he actually has respect and concern for the enterprise he is in charge of and isn't just after our money.

Walt hasn't been alive for 50 years, and his company wasn't nearly as large as the size of the company today. So it's not really fair to compare the two.
Also, it's not like Bob has all the money in the world at his disposal to do whatever he likes with it. I'm sure before green lighting a project, Bob has to prove to the board that it's going to make money and be worth the investment. Imagine if Bob took a Star Wars no brainer project to the board, and a separate, original, risky idea. Which do you think they are going to go for?
I'm sure in Bob's mind, he feels that he's showing tremendous respect and concern for the parks given the billions of dollars that have gone into since his appointment. You can't expect him to have all the same ideas that die hard Disney fans have as to what the parks should be.

D

Deleted member 107043

One final thought before I bow out for the day. Disney could sure use a lesson in balance.

For every new land and attraction based on an IP...something original.
For every sequel or live-action remake of an animated movie...something original.
For every money making up-charge...reduce the cost of something else.

@mickEblu for me this perfectly answers the question you asked me about what effects of the IP strategy I dislike.

Travel Junkie

???

When and where did Big Hero 6 and Wreck-It-Ralph replacement for Tomorrowland come from?

There's no logic to that rumor, and its most likely not happening.

I was intentionally trying to give the most ridiculous example of what Disney might do with Tomorrowland. Out of place IPs that don't fit the theme as opposed to an innovative original land.

Sorry if that didn't come across.

There is a Big Hero 6 whip ride (think Mater) going into Tokyo's TL and Wreck it Ralph is rumored as a replacement for Stitch in MK. So you might have been trying to be ridiculous, but Disney is going that route.

D

Deleted member 107043

I'm sure in Bob's mind, he feels that he's showing tremendous respect and concern for the parks given the billions of dollars that have gone into since his appointment. You can't expect him to have all the same ideas that die hard Disney fans have as to what the parks should be.

Exactly. There's the world of ideas that most fans, including myself, live in, and there's the reality of managing a $52 billion global business.

Curious Constance

upload_2017-1-27_14-25-23.png
Just in case anyone needs a refresher on what Bob LOOKs like, here you go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom