MiceAge Rumor: Disney Jr. Closing In April '17 - Marvel Plans???

Curious Constance

No, I think their are a few more that should have some representation and could make for quality attractions. Am I the only one that sees the potential for a suspended Aladdin e ticket? Thrilling escape from the cave of wonders? What they could do with a scene for "a whole new world" in 2017 if they put some budget behind it. A marriage between the scenes from the movie and that ride system (upgraded of course) is a slam dunk.
An Aladdin E ticket just wouldn't pack the same punch and lure people the way Star Wars and Marvel will.

mickEblu

An Aladdin E ticket just wouldn't pack the same punch and lure people the way Star Wars and Marvel will.

Of course not, Aladdin is 25 years old at this point and is only one film compared to multiple IPs and universes.The real difference is in the merchandise opportunities and not the ride experiences they are able to create. I mean they can make a successful E ticket based off Home on the Range if they really wanted to.

Creatively, it's fun to think of what they could do with a suspended Aladdin E ticket. It's not as fun for me to talk about what's best for Disneys bottom line. Don't get me wrong, I think SWL will be great. I just hope at least one of the rides are moderately thrilling. Just to add some context, I don't find Star Tours thrilling although it's a good ride.

Earl Sweatpants

What still strikes me as odd is that there is virtually NO representation (apart from characters) of the animated movies that brought Disney back to the forefront of animation.
Where is the Aladdin attraction? (no, the Oasis doesn't count)
Where is the Lion King attraction? Beauty and the Beast? Pocahontas?

Little Mermaid got one over 20 years after its release so I don't buy the "its an old movie, no one cares" argument.

Earl Sweatpants

Unusual use of the word "blame".

Why should Iger be creative? Acquiring creative companies sure seems like a good thing that he should get credit for, I don't see this as a bad thing.
Why should he be creative? Well, for me at least, its because he runs a creative company! One of the biggest and best in the world. You'd kinda want the guy at the top to have at least a little creative sensibility.

Phroobar

Why should he be creative? Well, for me at least, its because he runs a creative company! One of the biggest and best in the world. You'd kinda want the guy at the top to have at least a little creative sensibility.
Executives are not creative. They need big simple reports with lots of pretty pictures from their staff to understand how to make a decision. You have to go down a lot of layers in a large corporation to find the creative people. The CEO's job is to pick the best solution to make the shareholders lots of money.

Earl Sweatpants

Executives are not creative. They need big simple reports with lots of pretty pictures from their staff to understand how to make a decision. You have to go down a lot of layers in a large corporation to find the creative people. The CEO's job is to pick the best solution to make the shareholders lots of money.
And that's kind of my point. All Iger cares about is money, making more money, and spending said money on acquiring outside companies to further drive Disney's own creativity out.

Earl Sweatpants

I tend to look at it this way (I'm the self-proclaimed king of bad analogies by the way).

Iger is the daddy of Disney, but rather than invest in his own child, he decided to go out and adopt three other kids. Now, he has to make sure those three kids are looked after and represented in his family just as much as his own child is. Which is why all we're basically seeing is SW, Marvel and Pixar stuff. Meanwhile, Disney is just sitting in the corner wondering when daddy is gonna remember him. He gets promised change and attention...later. Right now daddy has three new darlings to attend and cater to.

That's what's happening in my warped imagination!

Curious Constance

And that's kind of my point. All Iger cares about is money, making more money, and spending said money on acquiring outside companies to further drive Disney's own creativity out.

If he didn't primarily care about making money, he wouldn't have a job. The reason he's had his job as long as he's had it, is because he's shown he's good at making a lot of money.

Earl Sweatpants

If he didn't primarily care about making money, he wouldn't have a job. The reason he's had his job as long as he's had it, is because he's shown he's good at making a lot of money.
Which basically flies in the face of everything Walt Disney originally stood for.

Look, I know we're not gonna agree on this and that's fine. I'll even go as far as to admit that I am happy with where Disney has grown financially. I just wish that for every shoehorned, synergistic, IP inclusion he is allowing to dominate the parks, we were getting even a taste of something original to balance it out. Something that maybe showed he actually has respect and concern for the enterprise he is in charge of and isn't just after our money.

mickEblu

Which basically flies in the face of everything Walt Disney originally stood for.

Look, I know we're not gonna agree on this and that's fine. I'll even go as far as to admit that I am happy with where Disney has grown financially. I just wish that for every shoehorned, synergistic, IP inclusion he is allowing to dominate the parks, we were getting even a taste of something original to balance it out. Something that maybe showed he actually has respect and concern for the enterprise he is in charge of and isn't just after our money.

And to this I would like to add that most of us on this side of the argument understand that Iger did great things for the Walt Disney company and he made them a lot of money. But how much money shareholders are making is not what made us fall in love with Disney or the parks and it's not the reason we are on this site everyday.

Antaundra

I tend to look at it this way (I'm the self-proclaimed king of bad analogies by the way).

Iger is the daddy of Disney, but rather than invest in his own child, he decided to go out and adopt three other kids. Now, he has to make sure those three kids are looked after and represented in his family just as much as his own child is. Which is why all we're basically seeing is SW, Marvel and Pixar stuff. Meanwhile, Disney is just sitting in the corner wondering when daddy is gonna remember him. He gets promised change and attention...later. Right now daddy has three new darlings to attend and cater to.

That's what's happening in my warped imagination!

I'll use a different analogy to explain how I see Bob Iger and why I don't think he needs to be creative. He's like the owner of a baseball team. A baseball team owner doesn't coach or manage the team they hire a few key people who they believe will produce the best team. The more money the team makes the more money the team owner can invest back into the team with new uniforms and upgrades to the stadium to be enjoyed by fans.

D

Deleted member 107043

Where is the Aladdin attraction?

There was a fairly expensive and popular theater show that had a long ran at DLR. There's also this monstrosity:

magic_carpets_of_aladdin_001.jpg

Earl Sweatpants

I'll use a different analogy to explain how I see Bob Iger and why I don't think he needs to be creative. He's like the owner of a baseball team. A baseball team owner doesn't coach or manage the team they hire a few key people who they believe will produce the best team. The more money the team makes the more money the team owner can invest back into the team with new uniforms and upgrades to the stadium to be enjoyed by fans.
I understand that analogy and the only reason I shied away from something similar is that I think that the owner of a sports team ought to at least have some deep love for the game (if not being a former athlete themselves) to know what's truly going to set his team up to win, and not just gimmicks to get fans in the seat.

I see the sports analogy a bit different. Let's use baseball. Iger started with his team and they were so-so. Maybe less than .500. In order to boost his team he could have gone out and gotten smarter coaches, maybe a few free-agents here and there, or even traded some players to improve. Instead, he went out and bought 3 other teams who all play their own games separate from the main team. But now because he owns them all, their success fuels his bottom line. He no longer has to worry about improving the original team, because he's just making so much money off his other teams and at the end of the day he can say they're all one big happy family.

Also in this analogy, Iger isn't doing much to the heart of the current stadium(s) and is instead building HUGE costly add-ons to satisfy his new team acquisitions, drive up ticket sales and in some cases, this is being done at the expense of things long-time fans have loved all their life.

Haha, this is starting to get ridiculous ;)

Last edited:

mickEblu

There was a fairly expensive and popular theater show that had a long ran at DLR. There's also this monstrosity:

magic_carpets_of_aladdin_001.jpg

Ya no thanks to the spinner haha. That would seem like a solid way to kill any Adventureland theming. I wasn't a huge fan of the show, I left half way through. Couldn't do it and can't stand lip syncing.

Earl Sweatpants

And to this I would like to add that most of us on this side of the argument understand that Iger did great things for the Walt Disney company and he made them a lot of money. But how much money shareholders are making is not what made us fall in love with Disney or the parks and it's not the reason we are on this site everyday.
Absolutely. I don't love Disney because they make tons of money. I love them for the reasons I got really choked up watching Mulan last night on the big screen. Great art and great storytelling.

Antaundra

I'm curious what made you fall in love with Disney? For me it was the parks and the movies. Both of which have been wildly successful under Bob Iger. Not just the franchise movies and the live action rehashes but also the nature movies and small movies like Queen of Katwe. Right now the parks are focused on Star Wars and Marvel but Bob Iger also gave us DCA 2.0 and extensive Fantasyland refurbishments and the Hat Box Gohst . As for Disney being a huge soulless corporation that answers first and foremost to its investors...? It's literally been that kind of a company my whole life. I wasn't alive when Walt was so i never experienced Disney as he envisioned it. I came of age while Eisner was in charge. I didn't know it as a kid but the company I was falling in love with was already a soulless toxic greedy corporate monster. As an adult I choose not to focus of the corporate culture of Disney and just enjoy the parks and the movies with the same innocent point of view that I had as a kid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom